Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 02:17 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,112,158 times

Advertisements

I'd rather swim in them than in the Mississippi. It's a problem that is being fixed, albeit slowly, as the old infrastructure with combined sewer overflows is being replaced with large, new drainage systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 02:17 PM

171 posts, read 195,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Can't stand going to the TC's for meetings..... Once people find out you are outstate they treat you like a pariah..
Where outstate? Wisconsin?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,305,694 times
Minneapolis is not very dense. I agree with the Cleveland guy on this topic, but I admit I don't know (or care) how it compares to Cleveland. There are suburbs of Chicago and suburban areas in Silicon Valley that are more dense than Minneapolis's downtown. The residential areas of Minneapolis, which compromise most of the city, are even less dense. It doesn't feel suburban like Scottsdale but most of it doesn't feel very "urban" either.

I don't know how this affects the snob factor, though. Minnesotans are good at flopping their opinions around to serve their argument. MSP is dense if someone says that's good. It's very urban, just like New York. That's why we call it the Minne-Apple! If someone says dense is bad, well good thing, because it's not actually very dense. We have plenty of space to spread our wings, and don't live right on top of each other. It's also not that cold, there's just four distinct seasons. Unless you love the cold. Then it's the coldest!

Last edited by rzzzz; 10-24-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,462,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
It feels suburban though. There are suburbs of Cleveland that are denser than Minneapolis, but they still feel suburban, by virtue of the housing stock, the type of people who live there, the architecture, the public transportation access, and the built environment. An urban area has narrow alleys, somewhat haphazard streets, houses that are close together, small or no front lawns, churches next to houses, next to stores, a mix of old architecture and new, and a mix of people to match.
Oh no Minneapolis is urban just in a different way.
Its just more modern, clean and safe compared to most cities so i guess i can understand why it looks like a suburb to most people, however i don't find that to be an insult.

And personally i'd take Uptown/Lyn-Lake style urban over some rust belt style any day.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9483...o-5QqrQQCQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9501...fKxIGw9Ifw!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9469...C6CW-q7f0g!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9486...3CnRRI2Zpw!2e0

Old 10-24-2014, 03:23 PM

367 posts, read 543,479 times
Quote:
And that's why people think you guys are snobby. No metro is "perfect", because everyone has different definitions of what perfection is. Maybe if you fit the mold or stereotype for a good Minnesotan (White, upper middle class, christian, suburbophiles) then sure, there's no place better. But for many people, the metro is far from perfect. It lacks urbanness, diversity, and culture that many people want.
I agree that everyone has a different definition of what perfection is. I also think that people in general put too much emphasis on lists/rankings, but I absolutely do not feel your last statement is true at all. The Twin Cities, while not the most "urban" setting in the country, are nationally recognized for the plethora of cultural attractions they offer, from museums and theaters to professional sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatOn View Post
I really think MN is a great state and the Twin Cities are great cities. Maybe one of the best kept secrets in the US. I think most people who have never been here have a very skewed view of what Minnesota is like. And I know there is a lot of pride many Minnesotans take in their home. That's not a bad thing in my opinion.

What I do wonder is this: Do Minnesotans have an overly inflated pride of the TCs? Or is it really as good as we think?

Over all, yes, there are certainly better places in the world to live than here. But I also think we have a great way of life and standard of living here that is better than most other US cities. Perhaps because we have a great city, and most other parts of the country think we are some backwoods hillybillys with an accent, in a cold far away place (or something like that), we want to convince everyone that MN is actually much better than their perception of it. And it makes us snobby?

Just some thoughts - what do you think?
I agree with much of this. From my experience, most people who have a "snobby" attitude that the place they live is "superior" to others hail from the northeast and in particular New York City. I am from New England originally and I love to return home to visit, but I have relatives who've never been to Minnesota and harbor the notion that it is "backwoods" as you state, because no place exists west of the Appalachians.

The Twin Cities are, as you say, "one of the best kept secrets in the US." Many people just don't realize that this metropolitan area offers a much higher quality of life than numerous other places. Yet that statement by itself doesn't make people here "snobby."

Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,462,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
I agree with much of this. From my experience, most people who have a "snobby" attitude that the place they live is "superior" to others hail from the northeast and in particular New York City. I am from New England originally and I love to return home to visit, but I have relatives who've never been to Minnesota and harbor the notion that it is "backwoods" as you state, because no place exists west of the Appalachians.

The Twin Cities are, as you say, "one of the best kept secrets in the US." Many people just don't realize that this metropolitan area offers a much higher quality of life than numerous other places. Yet that statement by itself doesn't make people here "snobby."
Most New Yorkers are pretty cool about their superiority though, its to a point where they don't need to brag about it they just walk around tall because they already know they are the best and they don't give much attention to others.

Us folks from random medium sized Midwestern cities have to go around yelling how great we are and constantly comparing ourselves to other cities,
Minneapolites - "Minneapolis is like a smaller version of Chicago!"
Chicagoans - "Chicago is a smaller version of New York!"
New Yorkers - "We are just New York!"

Maybe the hipster transplants are whats placing NYC up on the snobby list.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:33 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,710,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
Where outstate? Wisconsin?
no....the outer parts of the state from out side the TC's like the vast majority of the Minnesota country side.....You know the Fun part of the State. Where we still hunt and fish and burn wood in the winter etc.etc.etc. and walk around outside naked without the neighbors calling the cops.....

Old 10-24-2014, 03:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,454,964 times
I love how everyone in every city on this site finds these random lists to make their city look better.. its rather amusing to me.. people just love being homers about their city.. lol

Old 10-24-2014, 05:13 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,689,056 times
Quote:
Exactly, Minneapolis is perfect for people like that. And as far as people not wanting urbanness and diversity, I strongly disagree.
I recognize all of these words as English but they have no meaning in the order in which you use them.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,536,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love how everyone in every city on this site finds these random lists to make their city look better.. its rather amusing to me.. people just love being homers about their city.. lol
Best Value Cities 2011:<br>6. Lexington, Ky.-Kiplinger

Lexington, the #6 best value city in 2011 according to Kiplinger's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul