Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Of course! They're referring to the twin cities of "MSP" and Rochester.
Well, having looked at Rochester's plans, that could be the trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 02:30 AM

45 posts, read 103,374 times
It'd be nice if Lake Elmo stopped living in suburban denial and got its head in the game. It's missed out on so much opportunity in the past. Same goes for Inver Grove Heights.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 AM

Some of those little towns probably feel like a pseudopod of a giant amoeba is trying to swallow them.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new112 View Post
I get a sense that the TC keep moving further westward. What is the general consensus about this. Obviously this is happening, but this is becoming more pronounced.

It really kind of reminds me of the way Dallas keeps moving northward-if any of you are familiar with that area. For us, we are heading past EP into Chanhanssen and into Victoria, etc. Also in the northwest, Maple grove and all areas in between.

I would be interested in any thoughts on this. What would our city look like in 10 years? Mostly moving out west and growth in that direction.
you are quite correct as this area is indeed moving west, just as it always has along with the continental plate which it rides on. I suggest selling any real estate and moving further south because in another 100 million years this area will be at the bottom of what is now known as Hudson Bay.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I'd say north and east more than west.
Really? The north did have its boom, but that seems to have largely fizzled.

East makes even less sense to me. Two-thirds of the metro is in the west and I really can't see that pattern changing.

When I think the gravity of the metro, I tend to think it pulls to the south and maybe a bit to the west as well. I don't think random fringe growth necessarily changes the direction of a metro area. The south/southwest has a strong business presence: MOA, the aiport, the 494 business strip, and job centers like Eden Prairie. That's gonna be hard to shift away from.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 PM

When I say "north" I don't necessarily mean Blaine or Maple Grove. More up 35E and 35W. Just look at the freeways at quitting time. It is obvious a lot of people have moved that way. And Metro Transit is following them. A brand new parking ramp has just opened in Maplewood.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluko View Post
It'd be nice if Lake Elmo stopped living in suburban denial and got its head in the game. It's missed out on so much opportunity in the past. Same goes for Inver Grove Heights.
They probably feel they are in the best of both worlds with the beautiful St. Croix River valley a short drive to the east and urban amenities and jobs in Minneapolis/St. Paul/Bloomington/Maplewood just a short drive west. Even the Silicon Valley area about an hour north of where I live have some communities that choose to remain small or moderately sized (i.e. San Martin with about the same population as Lake Elmo). It would be a shame if every city in the metro sprawled to 50,000+ population. A great metropolis should preserve some small town choices for residents.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM

464 posts, read 803,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
They probably feel they are in the best of both worlds with the beautiful St. Croix River valley a short drive to the east and urban amenities and jobs in Minneapolis/St. Paul/Bloomington/Maplewood just a short drive west. Even the Silicon Valley area about an hour north of where I live have some communities that choose to remain small or moderately sized (i.e. San Martin with about the same population as Lake Elmo). It would be a shame if every city in the metro sprawled to 50,000+ population. A great metropolis should preserve some small town choices for residents.
Per Wikipedia, San Martin is about half the size of Lake Elmo in terms of square miles, though, which gives it a much greater population density.

That being said, my view is that if communities don't want to be developed, then we should let the money and development go to those that do rather than waste time and energy trying to fight the ones that don't want it.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:22 AM

391 posts, read 660,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Even the Silicon Valley area about an hour north of where I live have some communities that choose to remain small or moderately sized (i.e. San Martin with about the same population as Lake Elmo). It would be a shame if every city in the metro sprawled to 50,000+ population. A great metropolis should preserve some small town choices for residents.
It's weird to think of Morgan Hill, San Martin & Gilroy (my birthplace) as part of Silicon Valley. It used to be completely isolated from the San Jose metro area.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
It's weird to think of Morgan Hill, San Martin & Gilroy (my birthplace) as part of Silicon Valley. It used to be completely isolated from the San Jose metro area.
You are right that it was once considered isolated before the completion of the 101 freeway and when Morgan Hill and Gilroy were smaller. Today the northernmost neighborhoods of Morgan Hill are now less than ten miles from the southernmost neighborhoods of San Jose due to growth in both places and Morgan Hill has some tech companies now (but none in San Martin).

As for Lake Elmo, it was probably considered isolated from St. Paul and especially Minneapolis twenty years ago, too. It is now considered part of the east metro area and probably too close for comfort to fast growing Woodbury for the long time residents that like the small town lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul