Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:30 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times

Advertisements

All I know is my brother had an apartment on Girard south of Lake. So many apartments, so many single people, so little parking. Makes me think of Seinfeld where George is moving cars around to escape parking tickets. But I do think once you get south of 31st Street, the character gradually changes. But I lived on Bryant for a while, and I used to drive through the streets between Lyndale and Hennepin south of Lake. It really wasn't a normal residential area. I'd say the owner-occupied to rental ratio is a lot lower than what I'd call a normal part of the city. I suppose that can be documented from census data online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Many good replies here & I'll add my .02. I grew up on 32nd/Fremont so I know the are like the back of my hand.

Safety is as has been described. Mostly petty stuff because wherever there are lots of apartment buildings, bars & young renters, you're going to have some muggings, break-ins, garage thefts, etc. Crime is by no means rampant though. A few muggings of the people stumbling home from the bar at 2:30am. A few parking lot fights at bar close. Some minor property damage & petty theft. Think drunk 23 y/o's stumbling home from bar close. Maybe steal a bike in a back yard if it's unlocked. That kind of thing.

Is it family friendly? No, not really. It has very few parks, doesn't have much in terms of organized sports. For reference, in the Nokomis/Longfellow area they have 6 parks that have rec centers/organized sports teams & the area is crawling with kids. SW Mpls has 5 or 6 parks all with rec centers/organized sports teams & also is crawling with kids. Uptown has 1 park/rec center & it's not particularly great. They just don't have the demand like the more family-centric areas. Schools? How old is your kid/kids? I wouldn't want to send my kids to Lyndale, Jefferson or Whittier Elementary schools. Can you get your kid into Kenwood? Burroughs? Are you willing to pay for a private school? The area is not anti-family, it's just not an area that caters to family's & where you'll find kids playing on every block.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 AM

Actually the stumbling drunks are among the things that I think militate against settling a family there. You don't have to fear that anyplace you live in town, late night partiers and inebriated pedestrians are an automatic part of the package.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM

127 posts, read 213,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
If it were I, I'd choose to live west of Hennepin. East seems more suited to singles.
You are not in the right neighborhood. East Calhoun as in east of LAKE Calhoun. Lots of single family homes.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM

191 posts, read 380,488 times
Around Lake Harriet is a lot more family friendly. More single family homes less rentals. Or west of Calhoun too.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 AM

I just wonder about affordability. Nicer neighborhoods can demand higher prices.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
I just wonder about affordability. Nicer neighborhoods can demand higher prices.
My friend was just looking for housing in the Uptown area, including the ECCO and CARAG neighborhoods. Prices seemed pretty reasonable. She settled for something in Lowry Hill instead on Franklin. It actually turned out to be a pretty great prices (and a lovely neighborhood).

Old 09-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Yeh, at least west of Hennepin, there are lots of nice places. Now, the Wedge is something else. I see more crime at the northern end of the Wedge.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
Yeh, at least west of Hennepin, there are lots of nice places. Now, the Wedge is something else. I see more crime at the northern end of the Wedge.
You see a lot of crime on Franklin in the Wedge? That's such a tiny sliver of Franklin with next to nothing there. Are you talking about more of the Whittier area and going east to Nicollet (and beyond?)

Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Go to the following link and start clicking on violent crime maps. You'll see what I'm talking about. Seems like everything happens on the north end. No clue why that is the case. Precinct 5 Crime Maps - City of Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul