Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM

30 posts, read 72,671 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at attending a concert at First Avenue in downtown Minneapolis in the near future. I've never been into downtown before, so I'm curious if anyone could share some information about the area around First Avenue. Is there relatively secure parking nearby or specific locations anyone could recommend? How about food and drink or a place to relax for a while? Any close lodging? I'm guessing the area there is relatively safe to walk around before and after sunset?

Thanks for your help! I look forward to your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Parking: Best to secure this with wherever you're staying. If that's a downtown hotel, I'm sure they have parking included in the cost (or at least have a semi-reasonable rate). I have never stayed in a hotel downtown as I live right in Minneapolis, so I can't say for sure.

Hotels: There are several hotels right in the downtown core, including at least one right on First Avenue (the street, not the concert venue). Best to simply search and see what fits your budget. Are you looking for a luxurious hotel? Something right next to the venue? A trendy, interesting place with a vibe? Or are you trying to keep it as cheap as possible? More information could help.

Food/Drink: First Avenue (again, the street), Hennepin Avenue, and Nicollet Mall are all packed with bars, restaurants, etc. It depends on how old you are and what your taste in venues/food is, but no doubt you'll find something.

Safety: There is some crime downtown, but this seems to happen largely around bar close when people are making stupid decisions. All of the streets I mentioned are busy and well lit, so you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the info! I am actually considering a whirlwind trip of coming up for the afternoon to relax and take in my surroundings, see the show and perhaps head back home, to save on lodging. Trying to be a little frugal with a trip to California coming up at the end of the month. That said, I'm not sure if any one parking ramp has any better reputation than another in that downtown area. If I did decide to stay, I was looking at the cheaper end of DT, such as Best Western.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,579 times
I think the municipal ramps are the cheapest. If you're going to First Avenue, then Ramp A is the closest. Safety? Not ever an issue in my experience.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Parking in the ramps is probably a much safer decision than street parking in, say, the North Loop. Seems that most of the crime I've heard about was people making their way back to cars parked on streets, on dead, poorly lit streets far from Hennepin or 1st...

Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
ABC ramps are very close. Probably the best bet for parking. A lot of food and drink nearby.

ABC Ramps

Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Parking in the ramps is probably a much safer decision than street parking in, say, the North Loop. Seems that most of the crime I've heard about was people making their way back to cars parked on streets, on dead, poorly lit streets far from Hennepin or 1st...
The North Loop is pretty safe. I have visited friends who live there and so I've often parked on the street. It's fine. Also, so many people have moved into the neighborhood recently that you rarely are walking on an empty street.

Another benefit: parking is $0.25 an hour on non-event days. That's a whole day of parking for $2. Obviously if you're going to be downtown more than 8 hours (unless some of that falls after the meters go dead...sometime between 5pm and 10pm depending on the spot in the North Loop) you might want to consider a ramp. The A, B, and C ramps are your best bet as they're city-owned, near the best parts of downtown, and pretty inexpensive.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Park in the "A" ramp if just coming in for the show. Rates are reasonable enough--either $5 or $10 for the evening, depending on wheter there is an event at Target Center/Target Field or not.

The nearest Hotels are The Graves 601, "The Chambers" by Le Meridian, the Radisson (built on the site of the world's first Radisson) and the Marriott City Center. You'll want to walk, not drive, from those hotels. Overnight parking will be extra, but they all have valet service so you don't need to worry about much of anything for the night. (Fun fact: stay at the Marriott, and there's a good chance your car will be parked in the same building that houses the First Avenue club.)

There are other more economical choices in the downtown area, and if you can stay in the suburbs, they tend to be even less expensive and include free overnight parking.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies and input! I will likely check out one of those ramps and get a cheaper hotel in the suburbs. Parking was my biggest concern and a downtown hotel was merely a place to kill two birds with one stone by providing a place to stay and park. Might as well cut a corner or two when I can.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by financebirder View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies and input! I will likely check out one of those ramps and get a cheaper hotel in the suburbs. Parking was my biggest concern and a downtown hotel was merely a place to kill two birds with one stone by providing a place to stay and park. Might as well cut a corner or two when I can.
If you're going to stay in the suburbs, why not stay in Bloomington near the light rail? Parking is free at the hotels and you won't have to drive into the city and park there. Much less hassle and it's a pretty quick, easy, and safe ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul