Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,274 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

New to the forum. My family and I are moving to M-SP in October. We are very excited about the move and are interested in fulfilling a dream of living in the city. We are wanting to live in an updated warehouse building and are looking for a loft style 2 bedroom place in a family friendly area downtown. I have read quite a few different threads in this forum as well as some articles about families in downtown. I am having a difficult time narrowing my search. Is there a specific area that I should be looking in? North Loop, Mill District, Warehouse District, etc.? We want to be on an adventure as much as possible. We want our children to experience life in the city with all of the culture and life that it would deliver.
Our children are 6 and 8. Would love any insight from families that currently live in the city and LOVE IT!!!
Thanks for any help,
Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,328,091 times
I've read that there has been an increase in families with kids living downtown, but the downtown population is still dominated by a mix of singles and couples/roommates.

In downtown, new kids on the block | Star Tribune

Regardiing your interest in a rental converted loft, I can only think of a few that are apartments. Most converted loft warehouses are condo buildings, but you may find some units available for rent. One site to check out is

Home | Downtown Resource Group Minneapolis Condos And Lofts

I know Greco developed a few warehouses into apartments in the North Loop: Elsewarehouse and The Copham. North Loop is close to the Mississippi Mile, a great downtown riverfront popular for biking, jogging and walking. Plus there is a children's playground along the river at North 4th Street and Whole Foods will be opening nearby at Hennepin and Washington. However, the north loop is also close to bars and Sexworld, which could make for interesting conversation starters with the kids.

We had some friends from Australia who lived with their kids at One Ten Grant, a high-rise along the Loring Greenway about 8 years ago. They loved it! Lots of places to walk to, with easy access to the south end of Nicollet Mall, lots of events in Loring Park and the sculpture Garden. Easy access to biking trails and the lakes.

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM

37 posts, read 82,333 times
My kids are older than yours (16 & 18), but we did indeed raise them in the city and loved it. We live on the east side of the river, in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood, which is not downtown per se, but right across the river from it. As you're looking at neighborhoods, the one piece of advice I would give you is to be aware of your school options if you're thinking about public schools. Our kids went to Marcy Open School, which is public, and we were very happy with it. It fit with our family's philosophy of education and was just three blocks from our house. But getting into the school of your choice in Minneapolis can be complicated and it is based upon your home address. Look at the Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) website and find out which schools are available in which neighborhoods; these will vary depending on which side of the river you're on. For the most desirable schools, you must be in the school area or you have no choice of getting in.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,014,264 times
If downtown is the style you're looking for, I'd lean toward recommending the Mill District. It feels like a more "settled" area to me than the North Loop. By that, I mean that it has a population that feels more matured and probably living longer term into the area.

The North Loop is great: it's vibrant and growing. But it doesn't have great park access at the moment (the river is cut off from it thanks to some choice developments) and some areas are affected by bar spillover and/or Twins games.

With the Mill District, you'd get access to all that (walk or take a bus/light rail), but the area is a bit quieter, you have some other great amenities (Guthrie, for instance), quirky places (Izzy's Ice Cream), and parks (Mill Ruins, Gold Medal) where children could play. It will eventually be near some the new Vikings stadium and surrounding development.

For some reason I just get the vibe that the area is more family friendly. But I can't speak firsthand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul