Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:04 PM

166 posts, read 613,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Neighborhoods you choose from depends on what you want to pay, and what you want to get for your money. Most areas of The City are safe enough for me to feel comfortable recommending them to you. Do you want an apartment, or a Mpls. bungalow? A busy street, or easy access to the busy street? What is your general price range for renting or buying? Do you prefer Mpls. or Saint Paul?
My budget (estimated from where I stand but not on a job offer) will be in the $60-70K range, so I'm not sure what that affords in the cities anymore. I love each of the cities, but a strong public school in the neighborhood is important, walking distance to family oriented attractions, be it a great park, a childrens museum, como... I know very little about the Mpls neighborhoods, but don't want to be directly on a busy street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:24 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,808,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
My budget (estimated from where I stand but not on a job offer) will be in the $60-70K range, so I'm not sure what that affords in the cities anymore. I love each of the cities, but a strong public school in the neighborhood is important, walking distance to family oriented attractions, be it a great park, a childrens museum, como... I know very little about the Mpls neighborhoods, but don't want to be directly on a busy street.
ooohhh, sorry to burst your bubble Not Iowa but that's not going to get you much, if anything. At best, you'll be able to find a very small one-bedroom fixer upper depending on what neighborhood you look in. But, on the bright side, housing prices have been coming down in the cities so it's possible there might be something out there in an OK neighborhood. You might want to keep your eyes on the Camden neighborhood, again you're probably limited to a couple of neighborhoods and a very small 1 bedroom that will need a lot of work, but it could be a start (or possibly look into the foreclosed housing market, not sure what that entails or how to find out about it). Or you could rent and save some money to try and up your price range a little more.

The good thing about minneapolis, you're never 6 blocks away from a park.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
ooohhh, sorry to burst your bubble Not Iowa but that's not going to get you much, if anything. At best, you'll be able to find a very small one-bedroom fixer upper depending on what neighborhood you look in. But, on the bright side, housing prices have been coming down in the cities so it's possible there might be something out there in an OK neighborhood. You might want to keep your eyes on the Camden neighborhood, again you're probably limited to a couple of neighborhoods and a very small 1 bedroom that will need a lot of work, but it could be a start (or possibly look into the foreclosed housing market, not sure what that entails or how to find out about it). Or you could rent and save some money to try and up your price range a little more.

The good thing about minneapolis, you're never 6 blocks away from a park.
Thansk Camden! I don't want to buy but rent though, thankfully. Is the $60k salary range likely to support a rental in the cities?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,541,388 times
I don't know what portion of your income you are willing to spend on rent, but you will certainly find something that will suit your needs. That is a healthy income, IMO.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:39 PM

I'm pretty much cheaper than my grandparents during the depression, but as far as rent goes I'm willing to pay for security (but not willing to pay Edina type prices even if I could ). I love the como area - the park is gorgeous, is that family friendly/affordable/safe etc? How are the schools in that part of town?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,808,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
Thansk Camden! I don't want to buy but rent though, thankfully. Is the $60k salary range likely to support a rental in the cities?
Oh, my mistake - yes you will be fine with that income, como's a nice area to live, family-friendly - unfortunately I'm totally ignorant about schools in St. Paul so can't help you there.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Oh, my mistake - yes you will be fine with that income, como's a nice area to live, family-friendly - unfortunately I'm totally ignorant about schools in St. Paul so can't help you there.
Thanks! You weren't that off the mark though - here in IA I COULD get a descent home for not much more than $70K!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,541,388 times
I wish I could help too, but the Mississippi may as well be a wall for my knowledge.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 PM

638 posts, read 3,117,246 times
Sorry I can't help you on the St. Paul school district; but the Roseville school district is good. My kids are both 20-somethings now; but I certainly am glad that we ended up living in this school district when they were young. Both were ADHD and when we lived in MPLS they weren't far enough behind to get special ed help; but here in the Roseville school district they got the help that they needed.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,300 times
I miss MN too! I am also from the TC area and have lived in Texas for the last 5 years. Nothing like MN, the weather is great, all four seasons, it's beautiful up there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul