U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2007, 09:33 PM
 
166 posts, read 455,960 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

When I last lived in MN (left in 2003) I was only responsible for myself. I am now a 26 year old single mother of one and would like to relocate back to the TC area within the next two years. I miss all of the opportunity/education/culture/etc. and hope to be able to transplant back in the time frame I've allotted.

However, living as a single mother is much different than living as a single person. Any advice on neighborhoods that meet my needs as a family, but are also liberal enough areas to accept that I am at the moment not married? (I am living in Iowa now and feel very ostracized).

Your advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2007, 10:08 PM
 
47 posts, read 101,513 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
When I last lived in MN (left in 2003) I was only responsible for myself. I am now a 26 year old single mother of one and would like to relocate back to the TC area within the next two years. I miss all of the opportunity/education/culture/etc. and hope to be able to transplant back in the time frame I've allotted.

However, living as a single mother is much different than living as a single person. Any advice on neighborhoods that meet my needs as a family, but are also liberal enough areas to accept that I am at the moment not married? (I am living in Iowa now and feel very ostracized).

Your advice is appreciated!
Yep. Those Midwest family values are getting to you in Iowa, where it is not kosher to be a single parent.

I would stay out of the burbs. I would stay out of St. Louis Park. Very family oriented areas. You need an area where there are single people, married people, people with kids who are not married. I see a neighbor up the street, when I'm waiting for the morning bus, walk out of his apartment and taking his kid to the bus. So, I would stick with the city. Since you're in your 20s, there are plenty of 20s people in the Uptown area, and there are kids in those areas too. I would stay away from the Calhoun area of Uptown - too many people who don't have kids, but around Bryant Park area is nice. Lowry Hill area nice. East Isles area nice. I would think most places in the city limits would work. All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 01:10 AM
 
2,506 posts, read 5,917,891 times
Reputation: 774
I don't think Saint Louis Park is that conservative; It is basically an extension of The City. Most suburbs will give a condescending eye. Most areas in either Mpls. or Saint Paul would be suitable, as well as some inner suburbs like Saint Louis Park, Richfield, East Bloomington. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? Urban, more suburban? Diverse or homogenous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 AM
 
166 posts, read 455,960 times
Reputation: 38
Default Safety & Liberal Family Environment - does it Exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I don't think Saint Louis Park is that conservative; It is basically an extension of The City. Most suburbs will give a condescending eye. Most areas in either Mpls. or Saint Paul would be suitable, as well as some inner suburbs like Saint Louis Park, Richfield, East Bloomington. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? Urban, more suburban? Diverse or homogenous?
I prefer urban over suburban, and in that environment need safety and a sense of community. I have lived in cities pre-motherhood and loved the ability to walk out the front door into an amass of activity. I miss this sense, and am now looking for that same opportunity - family sized. I am a supply chain analyst, so can work in either city, but would like to be able to walk my child to preschool and elementary school...to a green park and a childrens museum...diverse or homogenous does not matter but safety is priority. Does what I'm looking for exist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 08:36 AM
 
175 posts, read 506,048 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
I prefer urban over suburban, and in that environment need safety and a sense of community. I have lived in cities pre-motherhood and loved the ability to walk out the front door into an amass of activity. I miss this sense, and am now looking for that same opportunity - family sized. I am a supply chain analyst, so can work in either city, but would like to be able to walk my child to preschool and elementary school...to a green park and a childrens museum...diverse or homogenous does not matter but safety is priority. Does what I'm looking for exist
Since you are a Logistics professional, you will probably want an area that is close to good employment. The suburbs is where you would find that. Don't worry so much about what anyone may think of your "single parent" status. The Twin Cities is a big place and I bet much, much more open minded than anywhere in Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 PM
 
2,506 posts, read 5,917,891 times
Reputation: 774
I will wholeheartedly disagree. The metropolitan area is large, but it is subdivided among the various (and there are many) suburbs. So outside the core area, The Cities are not socially that large. I doubt very much that Chanhassen is more open minded that Iowa City or Des Moines, it is a pretty large generalization to claim that anywhere in The Cities are more open-minded than Iowa. Not Iowa wants an urban environment. Even if she works in the suburbs she can easily have that. Most white collar suburban jobs are in the inner suburbs like Bloomington, Edina, et. cetera. Why live in a place you don't want to when you can live in a place you do want to and have less than a twenty minute commute? Nobody here will oopenly call her on it, but a twnety-something single mother probably won't get invited to the suburban barbecue. Not only is she more comfortable physically in The City, she is a better social fit for it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 PM
 
2,506 posts, read 5,917,891 times
Reputation: 774
Neighborhoods you choose from depends on what you want to pay, and what you want to get for your money. Most areas of The City are safe enough for me to feel comfortable recommending them to you. Do you want an apartment, or a Mpls. bungalow? A busy street, or easy access to the busy street? What is your general price range for renting or buying? Do you prefer Mpls. or Saint Paul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 03:04 PM
 
421 posts, read 1,313,160 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
When I last lived in MN (left in 2003) I was only responsible for myself. I am now a 26 year old single mother of one and would like to relocate back to the TC area within the next two years. I miss all of the opportunity/education/culture/etc. and hope to be able to transplant back in the time frame I've allotted.

However, living as a single mother is much different than living as a single person. Any advice on neighborhoods that meet my needs as a family, but are also liberal enough areas to accept that I am at the moment not married? (I am living in Iowa now and feel very ostracized).

Your advice is appreciated!
Something does not add up here. You would not be "ostracized" in Iowa (or anywhere else for that matter) solely for being a single parent. There are millions of single parents everywhere. Common sense dictates that you are withholding something from the equation here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, MN
638 posts, read 2,206,988 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Something does not add up here. You would not be "ostracized" in Iowa (or anywhere else for that matter) solely for being a single parent. There are millions of single parents everywhere. Common sense dictates that you are withholding something from the equation here...

If she's a single parent in a tight community, she would not be invited for a lot of social functions because she's missing a mate and would therefore be an odd number (or viewed as competition by some women). She's also an "import" and not from where she's living: no history or social support system in place. It does get lonely for *anyone* in that situation (see the threads about how to make friends on this forum as an example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 03:22 PM
 
2,506 posts, read 5,917,891 times
Reputation: 774
Exactly, it doesn't take a burning cross for a Black man to figure out he isn't liked. (I should add that there are millions of Black men) It doesn't take outward harassment for a single mother to figure out she isn't welcomed either. Numbers do not imply solidarity or mainstream interactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top