Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM

302 posts, read 726,665 times

Advertisements

We were talking about the Minneapolis suburbs at work today, and my coworker said that Bloomington and Edina were first ring suburbs. I thought that to be first ring, a city had to neighbor (touch) Minneapolis (which Bloomington does not). I've lived here a while now and this still confuses me. Which suburbs are which rings? And does each ring have a different "reputation"? Also, does St Paul have rings too? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
I think most people in the Twin Cities define 1st ring suburbs as those inside the 494/694 loop as they were on the "first ring" of highways (5/62). Second ring would be those outside of the 494-694 loop. I don't think "touching" Minneapolis really as anything to do with it since many people would consider West St. Paul, South St. Paul , etc. 1st ring suburbs.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times
For what it's worth, my brother & I have always been map geeks &, decades ago ago when we would look at maps of theTwin Cities & discuss the area's layout, we talked about Richfield as being in the first ring & Bloomington on beyond it directly to the south as being in the 2nd ring, given that it hit it's big boom in development a bit later than Richfield & after Richfield had pretty much filled in it's footprint. Of course, now there are large ring suburbs on out beyond Bloomington such as Burnsville in the 3rd south ring.
On the west side of Minneapolis, we always referred to the first ring suburbs as being Crystal, Golden Valley & St. Louis Park with the next ring consisting of Minnetonka, Plymouth & Maple Grove.
Looking at St. Paul, it's suburban development was not as ring oriented as that of Minneapolis & the odd, narrow strip shape of Oakdale kind of mucked up the concept. Plus comparatively speaking, there was never a huge suburban population growth in outer Ramsey County like there was over in Hennepin.
As for Edina, which the op specifically asked about, it has a small border with Minneapolis & is directly south of St. Louis Park & west/northwest of Richfield & thus a first ring suburb, at least by our considerations of long ago.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 AM

464 posts, read 802,747 times
I've usually heard of the suburbs within or on the 494/694 loop as "first ring", like Golfgal said. It's what I use, though I don't think there's really an official definition. Anything touching those would then be mid-ring, and then anything beyond that would be an outer suburb.

I've also heard of the inner/outer ring distinction as being the suburbs adjacent to Minneapolis and St. Paul as well as any suburbs touching those (so for example, someplace like Eagan would be considered inner ring in this situation), with everything not included in those being outer.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:59 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
There's no "rule" as to what defines a 1st ring, 2nd ring or even 3rd ring or "exurb"

First ring suburbs are usually suburbs with streets that follow the street grid system, or even defined as "pre-WW2" developed suburbs (ramblers, etc).

That said, most of the times these unwritten criteria fall apply to suburbs that are immediately adjacent to the main core city.

Robbinsdale, Richfield, Bloomington, Columbia Heights, Edina, St. Louis Park, Crystal, New Hope, Roseville, Hopkins, Falcon Heights, Brooklyn Center, Fridley

Second Rings typically have had subdivision growth in the 70's throughout the 80's into the 90's.. More strip malls and wider boulevard streets, may include: Brooklyn Park, Eden Prarie, Plymouth, Minnetonka, Mounds View, Wayzata, Osseo, Shoreview, Maple Grove, Blaine

Old 11-26-2013, 07:00 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,561 times
I would agree more with what knke0204 said. About half of Minnetonka is inside the 494/694 loop between 169 and 494.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM

302 posts, read 726,665 times
Interesting! So it is an confusing as I thought since there are no real "rules" about which ring starts where!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,595,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
We were talking about the Minneapolis suburbs at work today, and my coworker said that Bloomington and Edina were first ring suburbs. I thought that to be first ring, a city had to neighbor (touch) Minneapolis (which Bloomington does not). I've lived here a while now and this still confuses me. Which suburbs are which rings? And does each ring have a different "reputation"? Also, does St Paul have rings too? Thanks!!
St. Paul and Minneapolis make up the core so the inner ring suburbs are the ones touching St. Paul and/or Minneapolis.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,595,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Looking at St. Paul, it's suburban development was not as ring oriented as that of Minneapolis & the odd, narrow strip shape of Oakdale kind of mucked up the concept. Plus comparatively speaking, there was never a huge suburban population growth in outer Ramsey County like there was over in Hennepin.
Ramsey County is the most densely populated county in the state. Now if you mean that the eastern suburbs haven't grown as fast or as large as the western suburbs, I agree.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
My mother grew up in Chicago and later relocated to Berkeley, an "inner ring" suburb of Chicago, even though it is actually 4 or 5 cities removed from the city.

"Inner ring" mainly means pre-war, IMO.

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 11-27-2013 at 01:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul