Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 04:20 PM

242 posts, read 850,802 times

Advertisements

I'm having a difficult time trying to determine if I want to live closer to where I'll be working - in Bloomington off of American Blvd or in an area with more to do. I've been in the Twin Cities a few times checking out different neighborhoods and I plan on being in the area permanently as of Wednesday of next week. I'm of the mindset of living closer to where I'll play rather than work, as I did in Salt Lake City, but the advice I've been given is to live closer to work. What is your opinion? For reference, I'm looking at apartments in Uptown, St. Louis Park, and Southwest Minneapolis areas. I'm really open to anything and don't really want to drive more than 15 miles to work. The place I'm looking at now is on Irving Avenue S in the Uptown area. I've looked at some crime stats and it doesn't seem to be too bad. I think my smaller budget of under $750 a month is limiting me to a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 05:47 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,656,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl View Post
I'm having a difficult time trying to determine if I want to live closer to where I'll be working - in Bloomington off of American Blvd or in an area with more to do. I've been in the Twin Cities a few times checking out different neighborhoods and I plan on being in the area permanently as of Wednesday of next week. I'm of the mindset of living closer to where I'll play rather than work, as I did in Salt Lake City, but the advice I've been given is to live closer to work. What is your opinion? For reference, I'm looking at apartments in Uptown, St. Louis Park, and Southwest Minneapolis areas. I'm really open to anything and don't really want to drive more than 15 miles to work. The place I'm looking at now is on Irving Avenue S in the Uptown area. I've looked at some crime stats and it doesn't seem to be too bad. I think my smaller budget of under $750 a month is limiting me to a degree.
Those are easy commutes to Bloomington as you'll be going against traffic both ways. I think you have a good plan as you an bike or walk to where you want to hae fun without worrying about driving and parking, which can be a pain in Uptown. The city is pretty safe and it does a good job of tracking and reporting crime. Use the resources here to see how you expand your search area if you need to do so to find something in your price range. I think you'll like it here. Welcome.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/poli..._codefor_index

Old 11-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Those are easy commutes to Bloomington as you'll be going against traffic both ways. I think you have a good plan as you an bike or walk to where you want to hae fun without worrying about driving and parking, which can be a pain in Uptown. The city is pretty safe and it does a good job of tracking and reporting crime. Use the resources here to see how you expand your search area if you need to do so to find something in your price range. I think you'll like it here. Welcome.

Crime Maps - City of Minneapolis

I was using that link as a great reference point! I love that these statistics are available. I've had a few people tell me to stay away from Lake Street and Nicolette Ave, do you know anything along those lines?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 PM

140 posts, read 216,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl View Post
I was using that link as a great reference point! I love that these statistics are available. I've had a few people tell me to stay away from Lake Street and Nicolette Ave, do you know anything along those lines?
The nice areas of Lake Street are from Lake Calhoun to Lyndale.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:34 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,656,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbylake View Post
The nice areas of Lake Street are from Lake Calhoun to Lyndale.
And closer to the Mississippi in Longfellow.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:43 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,903,179 times
i went thru the same thing as you. but i didnt know what the weather was gonna be like. so i chose to live in edina to be closer to work (west bloomington). for me, i hate long commutes and i couldnt see myself driving from say a st paul to w bloomington 5-6 days a week. think about this. you work 5 days a week. but you usally play on weekends only.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:24 PM

442 posts, read 492,672 times
We chose to be closer to work. In all reality - that is where you will spend the majority of your days - either commuting to/from it, or just being there. The last thing I want at the end of a long day is a 45 minute drive in front of me. Not like you will be able to "play" all that much, anyway, if you aren't getting home till all hours of the night.

We live 5 miles from work - work in DT St Paul and live in Mplwd. Love the commute. I am home in my comfy clothes before most of my coworkers have even hit the freeway

Old 12-02-2013, 03:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,073,556 times
I agree, a lengthy commute every day just isn't worth being close to a bar that you might go to once a week.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 PM

127 posts, read 212,390 times
I live in a house in east isles and own a business in Bloomington on American blvd. The commute is easy, takes about 15-20 minutes (you drive against traffic each way) and at the end of the day you walk down to lake of the isles or lake calhoun.

I often go fishing after work (we catch 20 inch bass and several Muskie over 45 inches out of the chain of lakes), go kayaking, go on a bike ride, a nice walk around one of the lake, eat at Babette, lucia's, burch, the kenwood, or one of the many nice restaurants in the area. We also may bike over to the walker art center, go see a cool movie at uptown theater or the lagoon, go bowling at Bryant lake bowl, grab a bite at tin fish on lake Calhoun, take the street car down to lake Harriet to watch music (the are bands and orchestras every night of the week from memorial day through labor day).

In the winter, we skate at the most beautiful outdoor rink in the twin cities on lake of the isles overlooking the mansions and can jump on a trail on the lake and ski all the way to theadore wirth park. You may also want to take part in the city of lakes looper, a cross country ski festival in february.

Oh, you are also a short cab ride to downtown ( twins games, timberwolves, restaurants, etc.).

If you want to join golf girl at a bar, you could also do that...l guess.

Nothing against Bloomington or other suburbs, but it would be hard for them to compete against the lakes area. It is a lot more expensive, especially if you want to buy a house, but the amenities are quite extraordinary.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain of Lakes View Post
I live in a house in east isles and own a business in Bloomington on American blvd. The commute is easy, takes about 15-20 minutes (you drive against traffic each way) and at the end of the day you walk down to lake of the isles or lake calhoun.

I often go fishing after work (we catch 20 inch bass and several Muskie over 45 inches out of the chain of lakes), go kayaking, go on a bike ride, a nice walk around one of the lake, eat at Babette, lucia's, burch, the kenwood, or one of the many nice restaurants in the area. We also may bike over to the walker art center, go see a cool movie at uptown theater or the lagoon, go bowling at Bryant lake bowl, grab a bite at tin fish on lake Calhoun, take the street car down to lake Harriet to watch music (the are bands and orchestras every night of the week from memorial day through labor day).

In the winter, we skate at the most beautiful outdoor rink in the twin cities on lake of the isles overlooking the mansions and can jump on a trail on the lake and ski all the way to theadore wirth park. You may also want to take part in the city of lakes looper, a cross country ski festival in february.

Oh, you are also a short cab ride to downtown ( twins games, timberwolves, restaurants, etc.).

If you want to join golf girl at a bar, you could also do that...l guess.

Nothing against Bloomington or other suburbs, but it would be hard for them to compete against the lakes area. It is a lot more expensive, especially if you want to buy a house, but the amenities are quite extraordinary.

Yes! This is exactly what I am looking for. I'm finding a lot more affordable options in this area which has me jumping for joy. I'll be heading down to West Bloomington tomorrow if the weather holds and the roads get tidied up. I start work on Monday and plan on driving to the Uptown area to see what kind of a drive I'll be facing. There's a chance I can work from 7-330 and I'm hoping with that little time difference I can miss some of the driving chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul