Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 PM

145 posts, read 155,206 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the north, but it's been a while, so...

1) Do you have a winter emergency kit in your car, and if so, what's in it?

2) Do you have an emergency kit in your house (for power loss, or getting snowed in, or whatever), and if so, what's in it?

3) Anyone have recommendations for WARM women's footwear other than boots? I hate boots, they're just not comfortable for me, so I'm looking for a low-top alternative for "around town days." (I do have boots for shoveling the driveway, I just hate wearing them all day and my athletic shoes aren't warm enough if I'm outside for more than 5 minutes).

4) Anything else random I should know about MN winter that I might not think of?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 12:15 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
1. I don't because I don't think it's too necessary when I only drive around the metro. If I was going elsewhere, I'd definitely have one.

3. This depends. I go to the U of M and do a ton of walking so boots are pretty much a necessity.

4. If you live or park in either Minneapolis or St. Paul, make sure you know the parking rules during snow emergencies or you will get towed.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:02 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
1) I don't have an emergency kit, but I do keep gloves an extra pair of gloves and hat in my car.
2) I would have to say a generator. The last thing you want is your power to go out and you can't heat your house.
3) I haven't owned a pair of boots in years. The sidewalks around town stay pretty well kept, so unless you plan on doing some winter activity, some really thick socks and normal shoes should do the job.
4) It is not usually this cold this early into winter (could be a very cold one this year). Oh, and if you park outside, try and make it a habit to start your car at least 10 minutes before going anywhere.

Last edited by Grizzly Addams; 12-07-2013 at 04:10 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I have a pre-made kit that I bought that I keep in the car along with some blankets, boots and extra mittens, etc. I travel a lot though

In my 40 odd years in MN I have never needed an emergency kit for our house. We have never lost power for more than an hour or two. If I needed to we could turn on our gas fireplace and round up some blankets I guess.

I just wear regular shoes most of the winter--not really athletic shoes because those are vented. You could try some of the Lands End/LL Bean type shoe boot things. Even if I do wear boots I bring shoes to wear inside but I haven't worn boots on a regular basis in years.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:46 AM

145 posts, read 155,206 times
Thanks! Oh, one more...any tips for unfreezing the door handle on my pos car? Almost broke it yesterday :/ (I have to park it outside)

Old 12-07-2013, 07:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Put a magnet over the lock to keep water out--those thinner, flexible ones you get in the mail or can buy at most stores work well. Put rubber floor mats over your windshield or even just drape a blanket over your car to keep the moisture off of it helps.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 AM

242 posts, read 854,108 times
I have an emergency kit in my bag but it was something I was gifted when I was living in Utah. I don't know what is in it beyond a flashlight and an emergency blanket. But I do keep hats/mits/boots in my car. I usually keep a sleeping bag in there too but my life is in limbo as I'm in the middle of moving.

For the home I've never had an emergency kit. We've always had a fireplace of some sorts if the power went out.

I like wearing boots but my aunt has the mini boot things from LL Bean. She loves them for running errands around town.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlilly31415 View Post
Thanks! Oh, one more...any tips for unfreezing the door handle on my pos car? Almost broke it yesterday :/ (I have to park it outside)
I carry a lighter with me in the winter. If the car door lock freezes, you can heat up the key with the lighter. The hot key will quickly thaw out the icy lock. I heat up the key with the key slightly in the lock. I am able to shield the lighter flame from the wind and keep the flame away from the car's paint. I rarely have icy car doors if I avoid washing the car be from really cold days.

Jumper cables should be carried in the car, along with some sand and a snow shovel. I used to also carry a couple of small corrugated metal strips to put under tires when I got stuck in icy conditions when sand wasn't enough. I avoid most of the Minnesota winter driving problems by avoiding traveling during or soon after bad snow or ice storms by telecommuting to work. Plus, always keep enough supplies at home so you don't have to drive to the store in a bad storm.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:20 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Good idea to Carry a candle. Candle gives off a ton of heat if youre ever stuck somewhere. I had a friend get stuck in the ditch out in the coumtry and it helped immensely he told me. Also if you ever get stuck and its like below zero do not get out, especially if youre in the country. Stay in Your car.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlilly31415 View Post
I've lived in the north, but it's been a while, so...

1) Do you have a winter emergency kit in your car, and if so, what's in it?

2) Do you have an emergency kit in your house (for power loss, or getting snowed in, or whatever), and if so, what's in it?

3) Anyone have recommendations for WARM women's footwear other than boots? I hate boots, they're just not comfortable for me, so I'm looking for a low-top alternative for "around town days." (I do have boots for shoveling the driveway, I just hate wearing them all day and my athletic shoes aren't warm enough if I'm outside for more than 5 minutes).

4) Anything else random I should know about MN winter that I might not think of?

Thanks!
I don't have any such "emergency" kits. As long as you maintain you car for the winter (check the battery, get a tune up, keep the windsheid washer fluid full, have good tires) you shouldn't have any problems. Really with the proliferation of cell phones I can drive across the country and have a signal anywhere so I can call if I get stuck somewhere.

Power loss in the winter is very uncommon. If the power ever goes out it's 99% of the time due to severe summer weather.

Your best bet is to wear boots and get used to them. I wear boots to work and pack a pair of shoes for when i'm inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul