Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 PM

340 posts, read 607,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the cold must have been a surprise to you as it's generally not associated with winter in this part of the United States, but at least you made an effort to try and acclimate yourselves once here. I'm sure Dallas will work out much better, once you get use to the Aficanized Killer Bees and poisonous reptiles.
I can assure you that the over 26 million of us living in Texas are not all walking around worrying ourselves about killer bees - which can also be found where you apparently live in SoCal. And venomous snakes actually can be found in all states except Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I don't think Texas is as hospitable to foreigners (at least based on my Indian friend who moved to El Paso). Plus, I'd much rather layer on more clothes in the cold than try to deal with the horribly hot and humid Dallas summers. To each their own but the quality of life is much better in MN.... You couldn't pay me enough to move to Texas.
Well, you obviously don't know much about Texas, cause El Paso is both geographically and culturally only just barely located in Texas, and it is a long, long way from Dallas (over 600 miles). There are a LOT of foreigners here in El Paso, but they are mostly Mexican, since it is a border town. Your friend's experience in El Paso really isn't relevant at all.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 AM

531 posts, read 638,854 times
Like OP, I recently moved from the twin cities to Dallas. Our motivation was solely the weather. The twin cities is a FANTASTIC place to live and raise a family. But like the OP, if you haven't grown up in the extreme winter climate, it is very difficult to get acclimated and live life the Minnesotan way from Nov - Apr. I always hear the argument about wearing layers in cold vs dealing with the heat. But if you think about it, how many people do you see on the streets during the winter months in Minnesota vs the summer months in Texas and Florida? On the news when they talk about the weather, why don't they say that it is going to be beautiful and 15F today? I agree that 105F isn't beautiful either (and Dallas heat is greatly exaggerated) but at least I can just walk out of the house in my shorts and flip flops without worrying about bundling up. Summer in twin cities isn't mild either. It is more humid in twin cities than in Dallas. If the winter weather would have been a little milder in MN, like in Carolinas, I wouldn't think about living anywhere else. The people, the culture, the parks, the schools and the vibe of the cities is unmatched. But if one cannot enjoy what the city has to offer because of their own limitations to get acclimated, it is best to move away. Unnativeelpasoan - thanks for your replies to some of the extreme responses. Chicago is not 6 hrs away unless you want to get a speeding ticket by a friendly Wisconsin cop.

Last edited by fwsavemoney; 12-13-2013 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 08:37 AM

464 posts, read 800,745 times
This is a good example of something else people new to Minnesota have to be aware of -- how denfensive people get when you dare criticize the state.

I've lived in MN for nearly my entire life, and I definitely enjoy living here, but I hate the winters. I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive at all. Yes, it's nice to be able to do winter activities sometimes, but for me it's not worth everything else.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 PM

302 posts, read 725,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Well, you obviously don't know much about Texas, cause El Paso is both geographically and culturally only just barely located in Texas, and it is a long, long way from Dallas (over 600 miles). There are a LOT of foreigners here in El Paso, but they are mostly Mexican, since it is a border town. Your friend's experience in El Paso really isn't relevant at all.
Clearly yours is the only opinion that IS relevant.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Like OP, I recently moved from the twin cities to Dallas. Our motivation was solely the weather. The twin cities is a FANTASTIC place to live and raise a family. But like the OP, if you haven't grown up in the extreme winter climate, it is very difficult to get acclimated and live life the Minnesotan way from Nov - Apr. I always hear the argument about wearing layers in cold vs dealing with the heat. But if you think about it, how many people do you see on the streets during the winter months in Minnesota vs the summer months in Texas and Florida? On the news when they talk about the weather, why don't they say that it is going to be beautiful and 15F today? I agree that 105F isn't beautiful either (and Dallas heat is greatly exaggerated) but at least I can just walk out of the house in my shorts and flip flops without worrying about bundling up. Summer in twin cities isn't mild either. It is more humid in twin cities than in Dallas. If the winter weather would have been a little milder in MN, like in Carolinas, I wouldn't think about living anywhere else. The people, the culture, the parks, the schools and the vibe of the cities is unmatched. But if one cannot enjoy what the city has to offer because of their own limitations to get acclimated, it is best to move away. Unnativeelpasoan - thanks for your replies to some of the extreme responses. Chicago is not 6 hrs away unless you want to get a speeding ticket by a friendly Wisconsin cop.
You're welcome, and you make a lot of good points. Totally agree.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
This is a good example of something else people new to Minnesota have to be aware of -- how denfensive people get when you dare criticize the state.
Yeah, I agree, but I find that this is all too often the case in other places as well. I wish people would realize how off-putting this attitude is to outsiders. It certainly doesn't help to endear someone to their new environment, which they are most likely having a difficult time getting used to living in. What really irritates me about all the snarky, sarcastic replies on this thread was that the OP actually had some very nice things to say about the area, but coming from a very different climate and culture, just seemed to have a really difficult time adjusting. (Which is an experience I can very much relate to.) The OP was not rude and did not say anything bad about the locals. There was no need for people to be so oversensitive and get offended so easily!

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 12-14-2013 at 02:28 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
Clearly yours is the only opinion that IS relevant.
It really wasn't my opinion that I stated in response to your post, just the facts.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 AM

302 posts, read 725,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
It really wasn't my opinion that I stated in response to your post, just the facts.
"Facts"? You might want to look up the meaning of that word. You stated my friend was "wrong" because she did not find Texans hospitable. Yet I was simply stating another Indian's opinion. Just as the OP was stating his or her "opinion" in the original post - certainly not a lot of "facts".

BTW, YOU come across extremely defensive and overly sensitive of comments on your beloved Texas, but yet are quick to label the Minnesotans on this feed the same. By the way, I am not Minnesotan, I just currently live in Minnesota and love it...I escaped a miserable (my "opinion") hot climate and have no regrets.

Last edited by MSMCGirl; 12-14-2013 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 09:09 AM

126 posts, read 244,167 times
I think the OP makes some valid points. I'm not a native but I've lived here for 18 years and I still don't think I'm adjusted to the sub-zero temperatures. If you're not into skiing or snowmobiling, the winters are pretty long. My family is still back in Illinois and it gets frustrating being so far up here. I fly most every where else.

I like Minnesota. My kids loved growing up here. I don't think it's the only good place to live in the US though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul