Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:41 PM

82 posts, read 272,877 times

Advertisements

Despite being the Twin Cities, I have a hunch St Paul and Minneapolis have totally distinct and different personalities. How are these two cities different in character and personality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
I've lived in both. The way it always felt to me is that St. Paul is a city that knows who it is, is happy to be that city, and is always looking for ways to celebrate and improve on what it is, while Minneapolis is always trying to be New York On The Prairie. St. Paul has a comfortable, homey vibe to me, and Minneapolis is just... bleh. Nice parks, great cultural experiences, but not much personality.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I've lived in both. The way it always felt to me is that St. Paul is a city that knows who it is, is happy to be that city, and is always looking for ways to celebrate and improve on what it is, while Minneapolis is always trying to be New York On The Prairie. St. Paul has a comfortable, homey vibe to me, and Minneapolis is just... bleh. Nice parks, great cultural experiences, but not much personality.
If you were next to me, I'd pat you on the back and give a thumbs up.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Minneapolis plows the snow from its roads pronto, and St. Paul, until recently, didn't.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 AM

340 posts, read 609,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
Despite being the Twin Cities, I have a hunch St Paul and Minneapolis have totally distinct and different personalities. How are these two cities different in character and personality?
This thread should be in the Minneapolis-St. Paul forum.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:19 PM

127 posts, read 213,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
If you were next to me, I'd pat you on the back and give a thumbs up.
If you were next to me, I'd guess you were one of those St. Paul weirdos that obsesses about Minneapolis.

I don't ever hear Minneapolis folks talking about St. Paul in this same way.

I like St. Paul. It feels less like a city, but is nice. You don't need to lash out at your neighbor to feel good about yourself.

...and if we're discussing personality, it may be good to point out that things like Minneapolis bands (think Replacements, Prince, The Time, The Suburbs, Trip Shakespeare, Soul Asylum, The Suicide Commandos, Husker Du, Atmosphere, Dessa, etc.) are certainly full of personality.

You can whine all you want about Minneapolis trying to be New York, or whatever else you like to complain about, but there is no denying the creative atmosphere in Minneapolis.....and to me, creativity comes from personality.

St. Paul people, including those that run the local newspaper, need to get over this inferiority complex.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:43 PM

357 posts, read 444,333 times
Minneapolis is the city of class, St. Paul the city of charm

Minneapolis is like Wonder Bread, St. Paul is like pumpernickel

Old 12-21-2013, 06:53 PM

140 posts, read 218,429 times
St. Paul is a spouse for a long-term homey relationship.

Minneapolis is a vibrant lover for some excitement.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain of Lakes View Post
I like St. Paul. It feels less like a city, but is nice. You don't need to lash out at your neighbor to feel good about yourself.
"Lashing out?" Are you kidding me? You seriously call that "lashing out?" Wow. Guess we hit a sore spot somehow. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain of Lakes View Post
...and if we're discussing personality, it may be good to point out that things like Minneapolis bands (think Replacements, Prince, The Time, The Suburbs, Trip Shakespeare, Soul Asylum, The Suicide Commandos, Husker Du, Atmosphere, Dessa, etc.) are certainly full of personality.

You can whine all you want about Minneapolis trying to be New York, or whatever else you like to complain about, but there is no denying the creative atmosphere in Minneapolis.....and to me, creativity comes from personality.

I couldn't disagree more. If you're going to use those bands as an example, how many of them do you actually know? Because I used to party and hang out with members of at least 5 of the 10 bands you named, and worked with a few of them, and while they're very creative and somewhat interesting to be around, "personality" isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I remember them. There's a lot more to personality than being able to toss off a lyric or guitar riff. I found most of them rather vacuous and full of themselves most of the time, to be honest.

But anyway, this is obviously something that you're really sensitive about for some reason, so I'll drop it rather than hurt your feelings any further. Have a good night!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:07 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Many people would disagree with your last sentence, because nice parks and especially great cultural experiences add personality to a city IMO. Yes, the arts do offer personality and if that is not your thing then how about Minneapolis having 3 of the 4 major sports teams as well as the WNBA champion Lynx. St. Paul has a lot to offer as well with its historic preservation and Victorian charm along Summit and Grand Avenues. They also add personality. Both cities have ethnic attractions/neighborhoods. Examples are District Del Sol in St. Paul and Midtown Global Market in Minneapolis. Examples of ethnic streets are South Nicollet and East Lake in Minneapolis; University Avenue in St. Paul. Both cities also have other great neighborhoods (SP: Cathedral Hill, Mac-Groveland; Mpls: Linden Hills, Loring Park, Uptown).

Both cities should be proud of what they have and complement each other well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul