Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:43 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Tell that to the AWD/4WD trucks/SUV's that I saw in the ditches yesterday traveling for work....the sedans were doing just fine....
There you have it! Sedans don't land in the ditch. Only AWD/4WD trucks/ and SUV's. While we are stretching it, let's say the smaller the better (and safer too). Meanwhile, I'm going to be counter intuitive(according to GG's observations) and drive an AWD with side airbags with a plethora of clearance and some great year-round tread patterns.

Note: I realize that once a car gets going the playing field levels. But ground clearance can matter. Starting from a dead stop matters a lot to me. Safely wise, I've gotten out of the way of people who were going to slide into me. With one rear tire spinning, many rear-wheel drives also can take you off course with an unexpected fish tail as it suddenly grips a surface around a bend.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 12-31-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 AM

Check out this supercar in the snow as it is tested in the arctic circle on a snow racetrack. This 208 MPH Ferrari has some advanced AWD technology that works. You cannot put every AWD car in the same bucket Some do much better in snow than others for stopping, starting, and cornering

Video: Ferrari's 208mph supercar in the snow - Telegraph

Old 12-31-2013, 05:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
There you have it! Sedans don't land in the ditch. Only AWD/4WD trucks/ and SUV's. While we are stretching it, let's say the smaller the better (and safer too). Meanwhile, I'm going to be counter intuitive(according to GG's observations) and drive an AWD with side airbags with a plethora of clearance and some great year-round tread patterns.

Note: I realize that once a car gets going the playing field levels. But ground clearance can matter. Starting from a dead stop matters a lot to me. Safely wise, I've gotten out of the way of people who were going to slide into me. With one rear tire spinning, many rear-wheel drives also can take you off course with an unexpected fish tail as it suddenly grips a surface around a bend.
I have plenty of ground clearance in my sedan...and side air bags....and the 38 mpg highway thanks

Our truck is horrible in winter conditions--but it's RWD. My sedan has traction control and is FWD...

Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have plenty of ground clearance in my sedan...and side air bags....and the 38 mpg highway thanks

Our truck is horrible in winter conditions--but it's RWD. My sedan has traction control and is FWD...
Realize that people who drive RWD trucks are going to call your bluff. After all, they have no problems what-so-ever getting around. They have been driving their rear-wheel truck for years without a problem. They are imagining they are on equal footing as you. Pun intended. But you know better. Same here. I know better. My AWD is to the next level than your car in the snow. I drove a bunch of AWD's in the snow before I bought.

With the laws of physics on my side, your airbags are going to have to work harder. My clearance is going to help me in the event of a crash with a car that gets 38 MPG. Your happy. I'm happy. And the guy with the rear wheel drive doing sh_itties when he takes a corner is also happy.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 AM

464 posts, read 803,146 times
Quote:
Realize that people who drive RWD trucks are going to call your bluff. After all, they have no problems what-so-ever getting around. They have been driving their rear-wheel truck for years without a problem.
Yeah, a vehicle with which you're comfortable and know it's capabilities and limitations is going to be the best vehicle for you in bad weather, regardless of what it is.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Nobody driving a RWD truck is going to say it's great in the snow and ice.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
I had a rear-wheel drive Mustang GT with 225 wide tires. I could not clime a 10 degree incline in packed snow. But there is your "proof" that a Mustang GT is going to work fine here too (because they are on the road).
You're arguing apples and oranges. Of course your RWD Mustang was crap in the snow. I doubt you could climb a 1-degree incline with that thing. (Those cars are generally NOT on the road during snowstorms. I too once had the pleasure of pushing a Mustang thru snow, about two miles in fact, it was so helpless).

Quote:
Mean while, I will drive my all wheel drive in the winter when the snow flies. I will walk all over the snow in complete confidence and "win" if I get into an accident with you. I'll pay more at the pump and sleep better at night knowing I don't have to white knuckle drive. If you feel comfortable, good for you.
All I know is, I've never driven anything BUT FWD sedans and I've only ever been stuck once that I can recall. I was 16 and I deliberately drove into a snowbank because I was screwing around.

Don't white-knuckle it? Fine. But I suspect the reason a lot of SUVs wind up in the ditch is because their drivers were over-confident. 4x4 or AWD does nothing for you on ice anyway.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM

651 posts, read 862,718 times
Alright, to conclude, what is more important than AWD/FWD/RWD is the person's skills behind the wheel. The problem is other people who have less skill can hit you on the road. This is common in poor weather conditions. Some people feel safer having AWD even though it is not safer. and some people feel safer in huge SUV's which are more difficult to stop and have poorer MPG's.

It is not a necessity to have AWD/4WD in minnesota as evidenced by how many people own RWD/FWD cars and drive them in the winter.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Nobody driving a RWD truck is going to say it's great in the snow and ice.
Google it. People say that they toss in some sandbags to add weight over the rear tires and they are loving life. They brag how well they go though snow.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 12-31-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
I used to drive a RWD truck. They are the worst in winter. I've read plenty of car nonsense on this thread. I don't think I need to google for more.

Last edited by rzzz; 12-31-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul