Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
St. Paul seems to be a "better" area, based on what residents have told me.
You can't just lump all of St. Paul as a 'better area.' Each city has its good and bad parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwanderer View Post

Just a little about me, I am a 33 year old single, white Mormon male. I am originally from North Carolina, but completed grad school in KCMO. I have family in KC and Chicago, but none in Cincinnati or Minneapolis. I love the performing and visual arts and good restaurants and plan on devouring all that the Twin Cities has to offer.

Really, any thoughts you'd like to share on the two cities would be appreciated. If questions for me arise, I'd be happy to answer. Thanks for your thoughts.
I can only respond to half your question because I'm not familiar with Cincinnati. It's hard to give you advice because we don't know quite enough about your priorities for what you are looking for in a city.

You mention above that you love performing and visual arts. If that translates to being one of your high priorities, then the Twin Cities should rise in your estimation. We have one of the best cultural scenes in the country. There are only 3 cities in the U.S. with 3 or more Tony-award winning theatres in this country- New York, Chicago, and Minneapolis. I'm proud of our cultural scene.

Also, the Twin Cities are going through what I would call a culinary renaissance that has really revitalized the "food scene" here. We're starting to get a fair amount of national recognition for our restaurant/food truck/local food movement.

As far as getting the same pay in both Minneapolis and Cincinnati goes, what other have told you (Minneapolis has a higher cost of living) is true. However, this might be to your advantage in a couple ways. 1) The difference in COL does give you ammunition in requesting a pay bump should you live in Minneapolis; 2) Though your firm may not give a COL premium, their competitors very likely do. I suspect your room for salary growth will be greater in Minneapolis than in Cincinnati.

Another thing to consider might be job security as well as the ability to move to other jobs should you need to. Minnesota and Minneapolis have a pretty strong economy that is diversified and in bad times and good our unemployment rate usually runs a good percentage point lower than the national average. I don't know the details of the Cincinnati area but given that Ohio is in the "rust belt" of declining Midwestern industrial states my guess is that the economy is not as reliable as ours has been here.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:27 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Minneapolis also has high crime, too. The U of MN area is dangerous and you cannot have anything showing that could make you a target. Northeast Minneapolis is pretty bad, too. South Minneapolis is probably a little better but there is a reason why the term "Murderapolis" was coined.
My goodness, that was almost 20 years ago now when crack cocaine was being introduced by new residents coming from Chicago, Detroit, Gary and other areas. The perpetrators and victims were gang members and drug dealers.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...rm-me-why.html

Your information about the Twin Cities is, by your own admission, second hand, dated, and, frankly, quite inaccurate. You don't even know where certain areas of Minneapolis ARE (NE vs. North for example.)

It might be better to restrict your comments to subjects that you actually have some knowledge of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul