U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:49 PM

136 posts, read 298,520 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Mt. Lebanon and may be able to help with comparisons...where in Pgh do you live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 AM

26 posts, read 31,334 times
I live in Upper St. Clair! I've lived in the Pittsburgh area my whole life, so I know pretty much all the parts, but am most familiar with the South Hills. How long have you lived in MN?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:16 PM

A looooooooooong time . We moved here after undergrad (I went to California University of PA, which always gets a comment) and we both went to graduate school at the University of MN. We (both my husband and I graduated from Mt. Lebanon) moved here in 1994. It sounds like you are looking for something similar to Upper St. Clair? How long is your husbands commute now, and does he want to shorten that? I am a big believer in having as short a commute as possible . I find Maple Grove, Plymouth, and Wayzata to be really far away from downtown Mpls. Lots of posters on here would disagree with me, but I don't think there is any reason to live that far out.

Do you want sidewalks? I find those to be sorely lacking in many areas.

My husband and I have always said that the closest suburb match to Mt. Lebanon is Edina. Upper St. Clair is farther out than Mt. Lebanon and is a bit more spread out, so you might be more comfortable with the farther out, more spread out suburbs. Keep in mind that the communities in Pittsburgh are much older than the western suburbs of Mpls, and those western suburbs are built on flat, open plains. Lots and lots of driving involved when you live out there. Very little character. Edina is an older and more established community.

Do you want your kids to be able to walk to school? That was our priority and we live a half a block from our K-8 Catholic school. Your kids can walk to school in many parts of Edina. You could live south of the Edina Country Club and walk to both elementary (French Immersion or regular) and middle school, and only have to bus to high school.

Edina schools are the best in the state (like Upper St. Clair), and the high school is half the size of the massive schools in Minnetonka, Wayzata, and Maple Grove. The size of the high school would be a big factor for me - I would not want my kids in a high school as big as Minnetonka or Wayzata.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and hopefully I can help!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:55 PM

One more thing...you will have an unmatched opportunity to live on or by a lake if you want to. When we moved here we moved near Lake Calhoun because we figured if we were moving to the land of 10,000 Lakes we'd better live by one . So consider that, as well.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 31,334 times
Family of five, THANK YOU for all of the great information. The comparisons you've made have been very helpful. A lot to discuss with my husband as we consider our options for this move!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,270,995 times
A couple PA town/MN town comparisons:

Greenville reminds me a LOT of Duluth--but without the big lake. Duluth is bigger but Greenville seems bigger than it is.

Carlyle is very much like Stillwater, only bigger.

Gettysburg reminds me of Stillwater, maybe Red Wing even

I would say Pittsburgh is more like Minneapolis where Philly is more like St. Paul but more of just a "feeling' in the towns.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 PM

I have to say I have a different opinion than Golfgal regarding which city feels more like Pittsburgh - we lived in Mpls for a few years and it felt nothing like Pittsburgh to us, and then we moved to St. Paul and immediately felt at home. St. Paul feels a lot like Pittsburgh, which is why we like it so much .

Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 PM

690 posts, read 1,476,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family of five View Post
I have to say I have a different opinion than Golfgal regarding which city feels more like Pittsburgh - we lived in Mpls for a few years and it felt nothing like Pittsburgh to us, and then we moved to St. Paul and immediately felt at home. St. Paul feels a lot like Pittsburgh, which is why we like it so much .
Agreed. OP...if you could live anywhere in Pittsburgh, where would it be?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:39 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,451,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family of five View Post
As a native Pittsburgher, I agree.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 56,270,995 times
Interesting...from a visitors standpoint, I felt the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul