Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM

6,430 posts, read 6,965,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond17_007 View Post
Thanks guys for the insight. Each city/state has its own + and -. It is all about what one is able to accept and live with. For me personally winter is taking a toll on quality of life. Currently I am young and able to adapt to it but in a long run I do not think that way for long run.
This winter has been brutal with wind chills of below -20 .. -30.
Having living in MN for over 10 yrs now, every few years we get one of the worst weathers. Personally I have been stuck on a highway due to freezing rain and having to spend a night in the car.
I had to dig myself out of 18" snow storm just ~2 yrs ago.
And the last nail in the coffin is that, I know far too many friends/family who have had accidents/injuries due to ice/snow.
Just last week very close friend of mine got into a bad accident due to black ice. Myself included, I have done 360 on middle of a major interstate.

Why not go live in one of those cities you named? The longer you wait the harder it becomes. I left when I was 19 and came back for good when I was 24. Now I own a home here, own a company that is specific to only here, I can't just pick up and leave and I'm fine with that. I will be at a point soon where I could leave for the winter, but come back in spring.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM

13,639 posts, read 12,279,035 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for the insight. Each city/state has its own + and -. It is all about what one is able to accept and live with. For me personally winter is taking a toll on quality of life. Currently I am young and able to adapt to it but in a long run I do not think that way for long run.
This winter has been brutal with wind chills of below -20 .. -30.
Having living in MN for over 10 yrs now, every few years we get one of the worst weathers. Personally I have been stuck on a highway due to freezing rain and having to spend a night in the car.
I had to dig myself out of 18" snow storm just ~2 yrs ago.
And the last nail in the coffin is that, I know far too many friends/family who have had accidents/injuries due to ice/snow.
Just last week very close friend of mine got into a bad accident due to black ice. Myself included, I have done 360 on middle of a major interstate.
Just remember that you almost invariably exchange one ill for another. I relocated from MPLS to Raleigh NC. There are things I miss about Minnesota and things I don't. In North Carolina, we just had a few inches of snow, and we mostly shut down for two days, My neighbors had a bonfire outside to enjoy the first (and probably only) snowfall of the year...How Quaint. The winter is much more mild; conversely, the summers can be oppressively Hot. There are much lower taxes; teacher compensation is in the bottom four or five in the country. Housing costs are lower; but much of it has been built in the last 20-30 years and there are a lot of strip mall type communities. Winters are much more mild, but without the cold, you have more snakes, a few of them poison, and more bugs, and even clean people will see the occasional Roach.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 25,993 times
Thanks @JONOV,
Triangle area in NC and Charlotte is in top of my list. Looking at the stats, NC appears to be one of the fastest growing state. Hopefully it brings lot more to the community including good paying jobs.
If it wasn't for brutal WINTER, Twin cities would have been ideal.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:40 PM

16 posts, read 25,993 times
@wamer27, Yeah I am trying to get insight from folks who have lived in those cities with this post.
Currently I can move anywhere in the country and do what I do. However, would want to move to a place with good opportunities.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:27 PM

50 posts, read 77,539 times
Quote:
I have lived in the Twin cities metro area for over a decade. Never fell in love with the harsh winter or the higher taxes which appears to be going north every year. Apart from that I like everything MN has to offer.
Easy access to parks, mild summer (only if it lasted longer), good school system, just to list a few.

If you have recently moved out of MN, please help folks like me with your experience.

I am in my early 30's working in Technology industry, California would be the place to move if it wasn't for the higher cost of living and taxes.
Few places I am considering are:
1. Denver, CO
2. Austin, TX
3. Dallas, TX
4. Durham, NC
5. Orlando, FL
Being from and living in NC, Durham is awesome. That being said, I'm moving to Minneapolis later this year.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM

531 posts, read 636,709 times
mod cut all options that you have listed are good. You just have to narrow down based on your preferences. The weather is warmer in all five options but they are very different at the same time. Denver has a lot of sunshine but can get very cold, Durham has 4 mild seasons, Dallas and Austin have hot and slightly humid summers, Orlando has beautiful winters but hot and very humid summers. TX and FL don't have state taxes but if you buy an expensive house, the property tax makes up for the difference. You mentioned technology industry - for your occupation Austin, TX would be the best destination followed by Dallas and Durham. I personally moved to Dallas for the economy, weather, cost of living and schools. So far I am really enjoying the change but I do miss my friends up in MN. Having said that, I don't think I will ever move back to MN unless life takes me there.

Last edited by golfgal; 01-29-2014 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: TOS violation

Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 18,007 times
I had enough with MN. There are so many simple things seems so difficult there in winter. Even Walk on a road for a mile, watching kids running around etc. If you live in apartment with open parking and no heated garage then forget it. Bringing stuff from parking lot to home is a nightmare. People slip on the ice, Car batteries die, wheels rotate and all kinds of weird things happen. As there is no good sunlight in winter, eyes will stain. Its kind of dark most of the times. You are always at your feet , open car door jump in to a store, jump back to car this process continues. If you park outside and go to work or come back from work, the first 10 min time in the car is very horrible, you shiver a lot. A sunlight will surely bring your spirits ups. But lack of sunlight in winter causes some depression. People drive on lakes to have some fun. Every possible open water source will become ice. You can only prey god that this winter should be mild, some times he listen most of the times he is not. I always surprise people celebrate the 32+ weather and thank god. Not sure if any one else did but I did every time when temps get over the freezing point of 32 F.

After living in MN for 10 years, I feel like I just needed a warm place. Strangely I fell I don't want skyscrapers, don't want a big house, don't want big savings, just wanted a warm place for my rest of the life. Thank you MN, you gave me a wonderful life in your very little spring and summer. I really enjoyed and because of my body not supporting harsh winters, I had to move out . But surely I will visit in any high summer day.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM

12,943 posts, read 9,561,801 times
Hats off to everybody in Minnesota for enduring such a brutal winter up there, most of us down here in south Carolina would be dead as a doornail if we had to endure temps like that. lots of people are crying about the winter we having this year, its been colder than average.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 PM

30 posts, read 55,109 times
I've lived here all my life and it's just getting more and more difficult to withstand the winters -- I'm moving where my dad is, Hawaii! If I had to choose anywhere else in the US, it would probably be Miami -- lots of jobs and apartment, condo, house options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul