Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 AM

10 posts, read 11,347 times

Advertisements

Good Day City Data Members.

A little background on myself: I have been dwindling these forums for sometime now in anticipation of relocating to 'somewhere'. Fortunately for me, that 'somewhere' is the Twin Cities. I'm very excited to relocate to the area, meet new people and experience everything it has to offer. This is a long-term move for both myself and my significant other. I am relocating from a neighboring state, the great state of Iowa. We are both in our mid 20's. She is currently in school, but will be graduating in May with a Law Degree.

Advice desired: I have accepted a position in Vadnais Heights, and although I have a few contacts in the area already (old friends, etc), I imagine I can get great advice regarding where to look for rentals. We will be looking to rent for a minimum of one year or possibly two years.

Budget: $1000-1250

Pets: One small, 14 lb, laid back mix

Commute Desired: I'd like it <20 min for me. Since we don't know where she's going to be working, we're not considering her 'future commute'

Community: We'd like it to be safe, as in she or I can walk the dog at numerous times throughout the day without a doubt in our minds that nothing will happen. If there are parks/trails nearby that is always a plus!

Rental Details: We'd like to have a townhome or condo with at least a 1 car garage (2 pref.), w/d in unit is fantastic and relatively newer buildings. That meaning <10-15 years old.

I'm unsure where to look, or more importantly, where NOT to look. I noted White Bear Lake seems to be popular, I've already located a few in Vadnais Heights that look nice...but other than those two, I'm not exactly sure what areas could satisfy these requirements or at least what areas we should NOT look at.

I have found one location that is very promising, it's on Greta Lane in Vadnais Heights. How's that area?

Any advice is appreciated, and apologies in advance if I've omitted pertinent information. Just ask for it if you need it!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Vadnais Heights is fine for renting. It's easy enough to get to most places in the metro if she can find a job here. White Bear Lake is fine as well. It's pretty easy to spot areas where you don't want to be so once you get there and look around you will know if it's somewhere you want to live or not. It's not worth creating any kind of commute to look elsewhere if you are renting. I'm hoping she is open to not practicing law though. Jobs are few and far between and low paying, sorry.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM

442 posts, read 496,176 times
We love WBL and Little Canada!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM

10 posts, read 11,347 times
Thank you for the responses thus far, it's greatly appreciated!

Upon looking for places to rent, we've stumbled across these locations and I'd like to get some opinion on the commute to Vadnais Heights (VH) (most like 8-5ish job, give or take an hour).

Estimates on commutes to (and from):

Oakdale to VH

Woodbury to VH

Cottage Grove to VH

Eagan to VH

Are any of these an absolute pain or something we should rule out? I don't trust google map estimates in winter climates.

Thank you.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceisgreat View Post
Thank you for the responses thus far, it's greatly appreciated!

Upon looking for places to rent, we've stumbled across these locations and I'd like to get some opinion on the commute to Vadnais Heights (VH) (most like 8-5ish job, give or take an hour).

Estimates on commutes to (and from):

Oakdale to VH

Woodbury to VH

Cottage Grove to VH

Eagan to VH

Are any of these an absolute pain or something we should rule out? I don't trust google map estimates in winter climates.

Thank you.
If anything Google is "slow" but fairly accurate. Why create a commute if you don't have to. The VH area is nice. Cottage Grove has one way in, one way out--you don't want that commute. Eagan is nice, but again, why create a commute if you don't have to.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:38 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,277,827 times
I would look in White Bear Lake, Bald Eagle Lake area, Mahtomedi/Willernie, or Forest Lake if I were you.

I have heard really good things about White Bear Woods. Good construction, lots of different floor plans, pretty new, lots of amenities, good management. Management was willing to negotiate rent with a friends daughter, because they wanted her for a tenant.

Woodbury is a good area with lots of amenities but apartments can be a bit pricey. If you want to save money for other things you would be better off in the northern suburbs.

I definitely would not recommend Oakdale. Crime is increasing there.

If you have any questions about particular apartments or townhouse developments in White Bear, Mahtomedi, Stillwater, Oakdale, North St. Paul, Woodbury, Maplewood, or Cottage Grove, feel free to ask. I am familiar with most of them.

Good Luck!!

White Bear Woods
(888) 259-9974 | 4776 Centerville Rd. White Bear Lake, MN 55127

Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
White Bear Lake is very nice. In general, though, I agree with the idea of why take on a commute if you don't need to? Some people love locations like Eagan, and yes, you can find townhouses there, but why take on a longer drive for no reason? I'd just focus on areas close to work and give yourself the luxury of less time in the car.

Where White Bear Lake excels, I think (not living in that area I'm no expert, but I have family and coworkers who live/lived out that direction) is a strong sense of community, which appeals to me. White Bear Lake also has a nice downtown. White Bear Lake also has some interesting things going on arts-wise, if that's of interest; if you're in town this February you can check out the "art shanties"!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,076 times
I don't know where you'll be working in Vadnais Heights, but I have a good friend who lives in Roseville and commutes to VH for work. She says it's a breeze getting to and from there, with a sub-20-minute commute most days. Great apartment for not too much money, heated parking, W/D, etc. Another benefit is being so close to Rosedale and other stuff in the city for shopping needs. Not that Vadnais Heights and nearby cities are lacking, but I think Roseville just has far and away the most options.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM

50 posts, read 77,803 times
I will be working in Forest Lake, would living in Vadnais Heights allow a reasonable commute? (i.e. <30 minutes)?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,277,827 times
packwanderer, definitely your commute would be closer to 10 minutes than 30 minutes from Vadnais to Forest Lake. You could check it on Google. The distance is not that great, and also you have the advantage that everyone else will be going in the opposite direction.

However, I do have to say this to both scienceisgreat and packwanderer: building codes arent very strict in Vadnais Heights. Some, not all, housing there is not as nice or well built as in other areas. In WBL, Roseville, Bald Eagle area, and Forest Lake there are more strict building codes. In Vadnais, newer properties, which may have better construction, are all close to the freeway, too, which is a minus in my book. Also, someone mentioned the thing about a "sense of community." Vadnais does not have a "downtown." If that doesn't matter to you, it could be an okay place to live. All cities in the area are clean, and nature and outdoor recreational opportunities abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul