Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 16,039 times

Advertisements

I am currently a teacher and I am certified k-9, with a middle school social studies endorsement. I am trying to figure out what the teaching job outlook looks like in Minneapolis area. Any advice on what the teaching job market looks like? or advice on how to get connected as a teacher?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Social Studies is hard. I'd suggest getting an endorsement to teach driver's education and to start subbing in as many districts as you can. Coaching or other activity supervision would also be beneficial.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:05 PM

I am also certified elementary, are there very many jobs for that?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtyler View Post
I am also certified elementary, are there very many jobs for that?
There really aren't many teaching jobs at all. The more you can add to your resume, the better off you will be. Subbing is the best way to get your foot in the door though. Having some teaching experience now will help too, as long as it's not too much so you are too expensive to hire.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks for your reply, are there in any districts in the area or alternative/charter schools that might be a good place to look?

Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtyler View Post
Thanks for your reply, are there in any districts in the area or alternative/charter schools that might be a good place to look?
It's really going to be hit or miss. I'm sure there are openings in most districts, especially late spring and through the summer but getting the job is another thing. You are probably best starting with the bigger districts and going from there. Most post their openings online but few will take an application without an opening and most districts will hire subs or people that work in their district before going outside. Competition is tough here.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
I agree that subbing can be a valuable way to get a foot in the door (and sometimes the only way to do so.) But be VERY careful when considering signing on with a substitute teaching agency. I have a friend who went that route, only to find out two years and one job offer in that her contract with the agency included a non-compete clause that barred her from taking a direct-hire position in any of the schools she had subbed in. That left her in a very difficult position, since by that point she had worked at a large number of the schools in the metro area.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
have you contacted the teachers union here? one thing you may already know is that there is usually an agreement in individual districts that state that the district must make rehires known by mid-March. Outside openings will show up shortly after that. I suggest you make "favorites" in your web browser of all the districts in the Twin Cities Metro (11 districts) and check regularly for openings. I also think it cannot hurt to submit an application, if allowed, whether their are openings or not.

Check with the MN Dept of Education for listings of the Twin Cities area districts, and metro area charter schools. You will also need to complete your licensure with them in order to sub or teach in MN., in case you didnt already know that. You could start that process now.

After having worked in administration at the district level for years, I can tell you that in my experience, there are always openings for high scoring candidates with good references. If you have any extra coursework in reading or math, I would emphasize that, as there are many pilot projects in the Twin Cities where districts have received grants or Title funds for elementary focus/remedial programs in reading and math. Working in one of these programs is often a good way to get your foot in the door, even if you have to start out part time.

If you sub, if you are willing to sub in Special Ed (daily or short term-cant do long term without certification), you will find many more opportunities. Eventually, you will get to know the schools and staff and will be sought out. As far as districts to apply and sub in, there are so many that it would be silly to try to recommend any in particular. Most Twin Cities districts and Charter schools are good to excellent in terms of quality.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM

THank you everybody for your advice.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Also you should note, MN doesn't automatically accept licenses from out of state so you will want to look into the credentials needed to get a MN license and see if you need to add anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul