Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:24 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times

Advertisements

I have to imagine it comes down to the weather and the old stereotype of Minnesota being a white-bread state. It's unfortunate, but at least those of us who live here know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I think the weather is very likely the reason Minneapolis ranks so high (low?). That says nothing about whether or not it's a nice place to live, or that it's in any way declining. And when I've lived in other cities people have often told me how favorably impressed they've been with Minneapolis while visiting (it's not a big tourist destination, but seems like lots of people make it here for work or conferences), even if they didn't think they could take the winters.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
I find that Minneapolis gets mentioned a lot in TV shows. I have heard MPLS mentioned in the following shows:

Dexter
Entourage (CSI MPLS)
Breaking Bad (2x)
Lost
um yeah, and more

Old 02-13-2014, 06:26 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
I am an East Coaster and I enjoy visiting Minneapolis every time I've been there. I love the low key easy-going people so much I could sit on the light rail for hours.

Because of winter in Minneapolis, everyone gets bundled up and looks cute in their own way and people are treated more equally and accepted with less focus on body weight, figure, all that superficial stuff. I call it "the fun city".

Also you are never too old to ride the Mall of America carousel or climb on the sculptures of the sculpture garden. Or get really pumped on 1st ave, get a really delicious burger called a 'juicy Lucy' at Matt's Bar on Cedar Ave. Believe me I know MSP so well that if I get stuck there connecting flights I actually smile.

As for the weather, it's DRY when it's cold and it means 7 degrees in the twin cities has a real feel temperature similar to 30 degrees on the east coast.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:41 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
I'm sure its due to The weather. Minneapolis seems to be the "go to" city for references to cold weather. While there's a good reason for this--the Twin Cities are the coldest major metro in the country, obviously there are other cities that also have cold winters. Still, it sometimes seems to me that Mpls "owns" the cold weather title in that it's one of the first things people mention when i say i'm from the Twin Cities. This identity has been reinforced through Prairie Home Companion (stoic people from the cold) and The movie Fargo. I just saw an article on best cities for running, which included Mpls as being one of 10 best in the country. What photo accompanied the section on Mpls? It was a winter shot along Lake Harriet. Every other city's picture was a non-winter image.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon476 View Post
That's only because most of the voters were from St.Paul.
Well of course. MPLS stands no chance when compared to StP.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:00 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
So like the list that mentions Minnesota as the 2nd best state is legitmiate, but whenever a list doesn't put us at or near the top it must be bogus

Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
So like the list that mentions Minnesota as the 2nd best state is legitmiate, but whenever a list doesn't put us at or near the top it must be bogus
well duh-uhhhhh...that's the way it is with any place in the world or if you have a particular agenda

Old 02-14-2014, 07:10 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Forbes constantly has lists for this and that & I usually find them to not be worth much, other than being attention-grabbers. So, I personally don't put much stock in this survey as we all know that the Twin Cities area is very liveable overall, as is much of the upper Midwest.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Some polls are just more legit than others. A poll that asks which city you would move to of 2000 people really is not a good "sampling" nor is it based on anything other than perception. The other poll had some data to back up the rankings and compared the cities based on that data.

I'm ok with people not thinking it's great here. Keeps the growth at a slow, steady pace and the quality of life high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul