Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times

Advertisements

Good call on St. Anthony Park. It's still going to be a trek to work, but it's going to be easier than from Highland.

I don't know anything about Hampden Park (or, rather, I didn't know what that neighborhood was called) but being near the LRT would definitely make it much easier to enjoy nightlife without the driving or parking. You'd have train access to DT Minneapolis, DT St. Paul, and all points in-between --- which will be filling in as the LRT opens (including a new huge Surly destination brewery and beer garden just on the other side of 280). And I do think that, especially with the new LRT line, that area around Raymond in St. Paul is going to really pick up -- it has an incredibly central location with good freeway access, its own LRT station opening in June, and is so convenient to the U of MN and to both downtowns. Lots of artists living in that area now, too, for whatever that's worth. It may well be worth a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
St Anthony outside of Minneapolis is worth looking into, it borders Mpls, Roseville, and New Brighton. Very convienent to downtown Mpls and NE mpls for social things. I live right where Roseville, St Anthony, and New Brighton meet and it's not far at all to social things. Falcon Heights is kind of a perfect little family city, I grew up a block from it and I can't honestly think of a terrible house there.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 AM

357 posts, read 444,178 times
I'd add the Macalester-Groveland and Crocus Hill neighborhoods in St. Paul to your list. Crocus Hill in particular is close to 35E which is a straight shot north to Forest Lake. Google Map the intersection of Fairmount and Victoria to find the residential heart of it. You'll be going contrary to the rush hour traffic and not have much of a problem commuting. These are old, safe, and "small-townish" like communities with lots of amenities within walking distance. If you want to live outside the city, then White Bear Lake is a great place. It's almost a small town half-way between Crocus Hill and Forest Lake.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:04 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
A neighborhood that is somwhat similar to Highland Park is St. Anthony Park, which is east of 280 and west of the U of M St. Paul campus, centered along Como. The neighborhood is more historic than Highland Park, and also smaller. Lots of Victorian homes. It has a small business node at Como near Carter. Easy access to 280 would make for a direct commut to Forest Lake. Another possibility could be Hampden Park, which is south of St. Anthony Park and closer to university Avenue. I'm not too familiar with this area, but have driven through and it seems nice. One point of interest is that it's close to the new light rail, which would allow you to enjoy the bars and not worry about a DWI.

White Bear Lake is a nice small city too.
One of my favorites, St Anthony Park. So many times I've driven thru and thought how nice it would be to live there.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 PM

357 posts, read 444,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
One of my favorites, St Anthony Park. So many times I've driven thru and thought how nice it would be to live there.
The problem with St. Anthony Park is it's difficult to find a house. It's a very sought after area with low turnover. I used to work in the heart of it and had an apartment their once, but I was never able to find a house. It's a great place.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
The problem with St. Anthony Park is it's difficult to find a house. It's a very sought after area with low turnover. I used to work in the heart of it and had an apartment their once, but I was never able to find a house. It's a great place.
Would have guessed as much. Parts of Merriam Park are good, too. Summit Hill is another one. I wanted to live on St Clair when my job was downtown St Paul.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:03 PM

413 posts, read 763,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why would you want to commute when you don't have to? Forest Lake is a cute town that will have similar amenities to the areas you mentioned, same with most of the towns around there.

Some people have different priorities. I've always been of the opinion that living where you want is more important than living close to your job, because jobs change. I'm fortunate that I live in a great area that is also close to my job, but for most of my professional life, I had a long commute because it was more important to live close to amenities and friends.

As for Forest Lake, clearly you haven't spent any significant time there. It's not a cute town. Most of the original city (before the annexation of Forest Lake Twp. a few years ago) is fairly dumpy to downright run down in places. There's not much for restaurants or nightlife there either. The only fairly nice areas are in the old township areas around the golf course and some places on the lake, but they're overpriced, and the lake itself is choked with weeds. I won't even get into the people in FL and the surrounding areas, a mixture of status-seeking wannabes and meth-head trash - I grew up there and you could not pay me to move back there.

As for the OP's question - I would look at Roseville. It's an easy shot up to FL, and easy access to both downtowns in about ten minutes.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
Some people have different priorities. I've always been of the opinion that living where you want is more important than living close to your job, because jobs change. I'm fortunate that I live in a great area that is also close to my job, but for most of my professional life, I had a long commute because it was more important to live close to amenities and friends.

As for Forest Lake, clearly you haven't spent any significant time there. It's not a cute town. Most of the original city (before the annexation of Forest Lake Twp. a few years ago) is fairly dumpy to downright run down in places. There's not much for restaurants or nightlife there either. The only fairly nice areas are in the old township areas around the golf course and some places on the lake, but they're overpriced, and the lake itself is choked with weeds. I won't even get into the people in FL and the surrounding areas, a mixture of status-seeking wannabes and meth-head trash - I grew up there and you could not pay me to move back there.

As for the OP's question - I would look at Roseville. It's an easy shot up to FL, and easy access to both downtowns in about ten minutes.
LOL, which category were you?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM

298 posts, read 751,077 times
I know a couple other people already posted recommendations for White Bear Lake and its walkable hip small downtown, which would also get a vote from me. White Bear is really half-way between the community you'll be working in, Forest Lake, 5-days-a-week and the nightlife of Downtown and Uptown Minneapolis which you'll want to enjoy a couple nights a week. White Bear Lake and Vadnais Heights are a 14-mile reverse commute drive north to Forest Lake on Interstate 35E; you'll be able to drive the posted 70-mile-an hour speed limit each way everyday except during major snowstorms and even then you just reduce your speed. 10-miles to downtown St. Paul and 15-miles to downtown Minneapolis.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 AM

413 posts, read 763,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL, which category were you?
I actually grew up out in the country east of town, but I went to high school there.
The area I grew up in was pretty much middle class with some upper middle and lower middle mixed in, but our neighborhood probably skewed more towards the trashy end of things. FL is a really weird school district too in terms of the types of people that live in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul