Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,189 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'll be moving to Minneapolis soon and have seen some attractive homes online south of the Minnesota river in the Shakopee area. However, I'm going to be working on the other side of the river not too far from the airport. Does anyone know what the commute is like, particularly traffic crossing the minnesota river in the mornings/evenings?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 03:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Shakopee to the airport can get a little tricky. Highway 13 can be a mess but if you aren't going at prime time it won't be too bad. You do have the option of going through Eden Prairie but the bridge/road connecting Shakopee with Flying Cloud Drive floods frequently, which makes 13 even more of a mess. Not sure of what your family situation is but of you have kids, I'd consider looking elsewhere. Shakopee schools are ok, not great, but there are much better options closer to the airport with much easier commutes. I'd look in the Apple Valley, Eagan, Rosemount area for one. Easy commute with several different options, one of the top districts in the country for schools and housing costs are pretty reasonable for the Twin Cities metro area.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 10,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'd look in the Apple Valley, Eagan, Rosemount area for one. Easy commute with several different options, one of the top districts in the country for schools and housing costs are pretty reasonable for the Twin Cities metro area.

I second Golfgal's assessment. That said, I'm a strong proponent of Eagan. I moved from Minneapolis to Eagan a few years ago, and love it. Where Eagan lacks a "vintage downtown" culture, it more than makes up for it with a "pleasantville" feeling within the neighborhoods. I live in a house off of Diffley, right next to 77, and it is quiet, friendly, and VERY convienient. Getting to the airport from Eagan has multiple options, all of which are quick.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 PM

413 posts, read 763,820 times
Quote:
Shakopee to the airport can get a little tricky. Highway 13 can be a mess but if you aren't going at prime time it won't be too bad. You do have the option of going through Eden Prairie but the bridge/road connecting Shakopee with Flying Cloud Drive floods frequently, which makes 13 even more of a mess. Not sure of what your family situation is but of you have kids, I'd consider looking elsewhere. Shakopee schools are ok, not great, but there are much better options closer to the airport with much easier commutes. I'd look in the Apple Valley, Eagan, Rosemount area for one. Easy commute with several different options, one of the top districts in the country for schools and housing costs are pretty reasonable for the Twin Cities metro area.
I wouldn't say it floods "frequently." Plus, I think they're finally rebuilding that stretch of road to help with that problem. Still, living south of the river is a crapshoot because your commuting options will always be limited. One accident, even on a nice day screws everything up.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
I wouldn't say it floods "frequently." Plus, I think they're finally rebuilding that stretch of road to help with that problem. Still, living south of the river is a crapshoot because your commuting options will always be limited. One accident, even on a nice day screws everything up.
That stretch of road floods every spring and sometimes a couple times/year....that is frequent.

Yes, from Shakopee your routes are limited but other areas mentioned you have 5 or more options of routes to take, making it one of the easiest commutes in the metro, if not the easiest.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,189 times
Thanks so much for your comments! This really helps us narrow our search. We'll definitely try to stay on the other side of the river and check out some of the neighborhoods you mentioned.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM

53 posts, read 90,635 times
Springs00012, I do not know how long you plan on staying at the job you are speaking of but speaking as a person who 'job jumps' a lot I would think about staying near 494...within 6 miles or whatever of it, and nearer the center part of the south metro. Then you will be close enough to whatever job you take. South of Apple Valley or Burnsville can be quite a chore if there is a little snow or ice on the road. Bloomington, Eagan... around there are safe bets. Best of luck.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisaroo View Post
Springs00012, I do not know how long you plan on staying at the job you are speaking of but speaking as a person who 'job jumps' a lot I would think about staying near 494...within 6 miles or whatever of it, and nearer the center part of the south metro. Then you will be close enough to whatever job you take. South of Apple Valley or Burnsville can be quite a chore if there is a little snow or ice on the road. Bloomington, Eagan... around there are safe bets. Best of luck.
Rosemount is 10 miles from 494.....,Apple Valley is about 10 miles from the southern edge, less from the northern edge..... those 4 extra miles on roads marked at 70 MPH really isn't going to make a significant difference in your commute....

Old 07-14-2014, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,625 times
Quote:
That stretch of road floods every spring and sometimes a couple times/year....that is frequent.

Yes, from Shakopee your routes are limited but other areas mentioned you have 5 or more options of routes to take, making it one of the easiest commutes in the metro, if not the easiest.

Are you ignorant of the fact their is a 169 bridge?
Also, the roads flood once every five years, and that's been frequent and 101 is being redone above the 100 year flood plain so it won't be an issue there any longer. I'm guessing this is the last year (time ever) it gets flooded.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
I would think it's do-able. Traffic moves pretty well (except in winter) and while it may backlog a bit -I do not think its prohibiitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul