U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 AM

292 posts, read 815,046 times

Advertisements

Cub and Rainbow are the two major chains. Not a big fan of either one but I like Rainbow a bit better. You also have Aldi, Target and Walmart. None of the Wal-Marts or Targets in Minneapolis or in close proximity to the U are Supers so they only have limited grocery selection.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:33 AM

10,630 posts, read 24,507,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant14 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not seeing anything currently available in Prospect Park, but a few in Como. I will continue my search!

I'm also trying to find out what the big supermarket chains are in Minneapolis. (I'm a planner and yes I'm taking distance to the grocery store into consideration in my search.) Can anyone tell me what the big supermarket names are up there?
Rainbow is near Whittier. Marcy-Holmes has Lunds (a bit more upscale). The Twin Cities is also really big on co-ops; Seward has a huge one. Co-ops are often more expensive, but if you cook from scratch and shop strategically they can be affordable. Downtown has a Lunds and a Whole Foods, and the Target has all the basic staples.

Prospect Park does not currently have a grocery store, but with the easy public transportation access (especially once the LRT opens in June, as that's going to be even easier than the current buses) it will still be easy to do shopping, assuming you don't mind carrying a bag on the bus. And I know that Prospect Park really wants a grocery store of their own, and I've heard rumblings that they will be getting one in the not-too-distant future.

Are you familiar with the website walkscore? It's not perfect, but if you type in the address of a place you're looking at it will show you a map with the local area businesses. I've found that a very helpful tool when researching new cities.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 PM

993 posts, read 1,548,771 times
Como is pretty close to the Quarry which has a Rainbow (grocery store), Target, and some other stores. The 3 makes runs really frequently and makes it easy to get to campus. There are a lot of house parties in Como though. If you want to live in Marcy-Holmes, you'll probably want to live west of 35W if you want it quieter. Prospect Park also seems like it might be a good fit.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 PM

I forgot to add: if in Whittier, there are also a number of ethnic grocery stores along Nicollet.

Also, not sure how likely this is to actually happen or not, but I have heard that student groups on campus are working to bring a co-op on campus. Even if you didn't do all your shopping there, it would be very handy!

Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,213,021 times
Windom Park/Audobon Park are for new parents, not students who might want something to do other than mow the lawn. As for grocery stores, we shop at co-ops. If you want a neighborhood with some walkable destinations I'd go with Whittier or Seward with the latter being closer to the U. In Whittier you have The Wedge co-op on the west end and Seward has the Seward co-op right in the middle of the hood on Franklin Ave. Marcy-Holmes is a quiet residential area with Dinkytown on the east end (if frat bros are your thing) and Old St Anthony on the west end (yuppie-ish with a few hipster hangouts).

Old 03-30-2014, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 10,117 times
Been reading up on the Co-ops in Minneapolis. I'm impressed! Great idea.

I must say I did check out the crime maps for the first three months of this year and I am not sure Whittier is the best place for me. It's hard to judge. I've lived in the SF Bay Area for years and currently live in Louisville, KY. I've always lived in low to moderate income neighborhoods (relatively speaking ;-)) so I'm not expecting or needing to live in an upscale area. I don't have any concerns about living among a wide variety of people. In fact, I prefer a somewhat diverse neighborhood. I am used to staying aware of my surroundings especially at night, but I generally feel pretty safe where I live now. Is Whittier pretty unsafe at night? Would you say Marcy Holmes is safer than Whittier?

Como hasn't had much crime compared to other neighborhoods, but I ran across a water quality study that shows a large swath of Como is being monitored for water contamination due to an old factory or plant there.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:51 PM

993 posts, read 1,548,771 times
I live in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood, and I personally feel that the neighborhood is decently safe, but has its times when crime spikes. During the Fall semester this year, crime really spiked. There were a lot of armed robberies in the neighborhood. It was unusual, but it did make people in the neighborhood nervous. Crime has since gone down, but it could pick up. I can't really compare it to Whittier though

Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 PM

In Whittier it depends on specific location. Maybe my impressions are outdated, but I would not live in Whittier right by the Kmart on Nicollet, for example. I would have no problems living near Lyndale -- lots of nice apartments along Garfield, for example, and you'd have the 113 express bus to campus.

Marcy-Holmes is going to vary, too. Besides being loud, the part in Dinkytown has a higher crime rate because there are criminals who prey on college students who are out walking around late at night, often carrying expensive technology and perhaps drunk.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 10,117 times
Thanks for that info.
Looking at the list, it seems that the crime stats do lump Dinkytown in with Marcy Holmes. I was thinking of the two areas separately. I am definitely looking on the west of 35W side, so hopefully that is a safer and saner part of Marcy Holmes! I like the idea of being just across the river (Stone Arch bridge) from downtown.

Thanks everyone for their replies and information. I'm getting excited about the city!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant14 View Post
Thanks for that info.
Looking at the list, it seems that the crime stats do lump Dinkytown in with Marcy Holmes. I was thinking of the two areas separately. I am definitely looking on the west of 35W side, so hopefully that is a safer and saner part of Marcy Holmes! I like the idea of being just across the river (Stone Arch bridge) from downtown.

Thanks everyone for their replies and information. I'm getting excited about the city!
When I was at school at the U I lived over there and loved it. It's a wonderful neighborhood, and being right by the river is fabulous. We used to walk down the Stone Arch Bridge and to the restaurants along the river (Pracna, etc.) even in the dead of winter -- it can be cold, but is beautiful in all times of the year. And in the nice weather you're going to love being able to walk across the bridge to the farmer's market, or just to enjoy being out and about. I know a number of people who live in that part of Marcy-Holmes now, and they love their neighborhood. We're happy where we are, but Marcy-Holmes to the west of 35W remains one of my favorite parts of the city. Such a great location between downtown and the U and adjacent to the river. It's the oldest part of Minneapolis, too, and has some beautiful historic architecture. Honestly, though, Seward and Whittier are also great neighborhoods (as are the other neighborhoods suggested -- Prospect Park, especially, is another personal favorite). Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul