U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,030,815 times

Advertisements

Oh, cant miss this place, although its not strictly ethnic, it has consistently great food, wonderful salads and amazing desserts:

https://www.cafelatte.com/

My favorite restaurant in the Twin Cities. Had some seriously great times there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 PM

8,388 posts, read 13,754,444 times
Greek Grill & Cafe - City Center, 40 S. 7th St. : Minneapolis, MN 55401 : 612-305-9163

It's Greek To Me - 626 W. Lake St. : Minneapolis, MN 55408 : 612-825-9922

Christos Greek Restaurant -
214 E. 4th St. : St. Paul, MN 55101 : 651-224-6000
2632 Nicollet Ave. S. : Minneapolis, MN 55408 : 612-871-2111
15600 Highway 7 : Minnetonka, MN 55345 : 952-912-1000

Dino's -
3355 Plymouth Blvd. : Plymouth, MN 55447 : 763-553-2040
10060 City Walk Drive : Woodbury, MN 55129 : 651-738-9757
3179 Northdale Blvd. NW : Coon Rapids, MN 55433 : 763-422-2003

There are several other Greek restaurants in the Twin Cities. I strongly recommend using the following website to help you find restaurants around town:

Minneapolis All Restaurants Restaurants Guide - Minneapolis Dining Guide

Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM

3,757 posts, read 7,857,138 times
I have to second Greek Grill and Cafe in City Center skyway. It's kind of fast food Greek, but it's fresh and delicious.

Also not Greek, but Saffron is a popular choice for Mediterranean cuisine.

I'll inbox you my favorite sushi place as it already gets too packed. But it has great Thai also.

Last edited by StilltheSame; 04-09-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 AM

10,630 posts, read 24,357,753 times
Krungthep Thai in Minneapolis has a great reputation. It's on so-called "Eat Street," a stretch of Nicollet Ave south of downtow, which will give you tons of other great options, too (including Quang)

Eat Street | Neighborhoods | Eat Street Minneapolis

Richfield (which is right next to Bloomington) has a bunch of hole-in-the-wall Mexican places these days; I haven't been to any of them, but they would be worth exploring. I will get myself over to Andale Tacqueria one of these days! (77th and Nicollet, I believe)

Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 AM

1,604 posts, read 2,976,743 times
For Thai food, I always had great luck in Uptown. There are four Thai restaurants located within 3 blocks of Lake & Hennepin, and I've had good experiences at all of them.

Chiang Mai Thai: Located on the backside of Calhoun Square on Girard Avenue, this is the oldest of the four.
Chiang Mai Thai is the best Thai food in town

Tum Rup Thai: Located at the corner of Lake Street and Fremont
Tum Rup Thai

Amazing Thailand: Located on Hennepin Avenue, mid block between Lake and 31st St.
Welcome to Amazing Thailand Bar and Restaurant.

Roat Osha: Located at Hennepin & 27th St (with an on-site parking lot)
Roat Osha - A Thai Taste Experience

Although not Thai, another southeast Asian restaurant is Peninsula, which is more Malaysian. I've eaten there many times for lunch or dinner, including last week on my visit back to the Twin Cities. It's located on "Eat Street", a segment of South Nicollet Avenue between roughly 24th Street and 28th Street that is filled with lots of ethnic restaurants (you'll also find Christos Greek Restaurant here too)
Peninsula Malaysia Cuisine

Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM

3,934 posts, read 3,655,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Is Cecils deli still around?

I'm also of the group that 5-8 club has the original Juicy Lucy.
Cecil's was around last Fall, I haven't driven by it since, but I can't imagine it would close.

Boca Chica Restaurant y Cantina | The Mexican Experience
Good Mexican food. The Taco House across the street is good for more of a fast food lunch style. Both are very close to downtown St Paul.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM

464 posts, read 699,549 times
El Parian in Eagan is my favorite Mexican restaurant locally (my SO's too, and her family is from Mexico, so I defer to her judgement when it comes to Mexican cuisine). Ansari's Mediterranean Grill is very close to there, and they have some Greek food, though it's not exclusively Greek.

Spice Thai in Savage is quite good if you're ever in that area, as is Satay 2 Go in Apple Valley, which has a range of East and Southeast Asian dishes (everything from okonomiyaki, to various kinds of bao, to nasi goreng).

Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,215,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
El Parian in Eagan is my favorite Mexican restaurant locally (my SO's too, and her family is from Mexico, so I defer to her judgement when it comes to Mexican cuisine). Ansari's Mediterranean Grill is very close to there, and they have some Greek food, though it's not exclusively Greek.

Spice Thai in Savage is quite good if you're ever in that area, as is Satay 2 Go in Apple Valley, which has a range of East and Southeast Asian dishes (everything from okonomiyaki, to various kinds of bao, to nasi goreng).
Our kids love that place. Good place to stop after visiting the Zoo.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,030,815 times
Well all of these posts should cover the 90 days of summer pretty well for the OP. I know I found a few new places to explore, too!! Thanks!!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Looking for suggestions for great Indian, Mexican, Greek, Chinese restaurants etc plus we'd love to find an authentic Jewish deli, a diner and/or a burger joint.. we don't care about ambience (plus we'll usually have our three kids in tow!) , just looking for GREAT food for a decent price.. a hole in the wall is fine. it might even be preferable! We'll be staying in Bloomington for the summer, but likely will end up living in one of the southwestern suburbs... but we're willing to travel for great food.

Oh, and any good buffet restaurants around? Thanks in advance!
Indian: Gorkha Palace, Gandhi Mahal, and India House are all great choices.

Mexican: As previously mentioned, you can't swing a cat in St. Paul's District Del Sol or east-central Lake Street in Minneapolis without hitting an authentic Mexican restaurant. There are also taco trucks scattered along Lake Street for some quick, authentic eats. In addition to places already mentioned, I like El Burrito Mercado (a combination of restaurant and Mexican grocery) and I have a fondness for the cheap-but-delicious tacos at Gorditas el Gordo.

Greek: I defer to the judgment of others. I have seen plenty of places around, but I can't personally recommend any of them. This thread has just made me realize that I haven't had Greek food out at a local restaurant since moving here a few years ago. You have just given me an agenda item for this week!

Chinese: I haven't really found a Chinese place I can adore, but that is my fault since I have been focusing more on Korean/Thai/Vietnamese. A place called Dynasty is my go-to option for relatively cheap delivery when I am low on groceries and I don't feel like leaving the house. Everything I have ordered there has been tasty, but a friend of mine ordered chow mein there once and received some truly terrible pile of glop. Maybe that's the only bad dish, or maybe I have just been lucky.

Jewish deli: Cecil's! I live near there, and I can vouch that it is absolutely still open. Sandwiches there are to die for! As previously pointed out, you just missed Rye which closed last week and took a piece of my heart with it. (Ok, perhaps that's a bit melodramatic, but it was a great happy-hour spot for my friends and me.)

Diner: I swear by the St. Clair Broiler. I live right by this one, too, so it is an obvious choice for me. Great place with kinda cutesy diner food, family-owned for over 50 years...all that good stuff. Stop in on a weekend day for one of their "TV dinners," a fresh-made cafeteria tray type presentation of a meal complete with several side dishes and a little slice of pie.

Burgers: For local flair, The Nook and Blue Door Pub are hard to beat. But both are *really* popular and don't take reservations, so expect a wait. American Burger Bar has 3 locations and some nice, slightly-upscale burgers and fries. 5-8 Club and Matt's Bar are forever locked in combat over their Juicy Lucy supremacy. (I enjoyed my trip to Matt's but haven't been to 5-8.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or