U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM

2,044 posts, read 4,539,247 times

Advertisements

I've only lived in the cities since January 2014, before that it was St Cloud for a few years and small towns my whole life, so living in a huge metro for once, this is weird to me.
I live in New Hope, but yet the vast majority of the junk mail I receive says Minneapolis on it instead of New Hope for my address.
And I noticed when I did move and updated my address at work on the computer, I only had to give them the zip code and the city automatically showed up as Minneapolis. Even when you go to like weather.com and type the zip code in it shows up as Minneapolis.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,543,293 times
Because Minneapolis and St. Paul are the centralized PO's for the area. Most of the St. Paul suburbs show St. Paul as the zip code and Minneapolis burbs show Minneapolis. You have to get out to Stillwater, Hastings, Chaska, etc. before they don't have the "city" PO. This is why it's always good to confirm where jobs are too--it might say "Minneapolis" but it's really in Minnetonka, etc.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM

2,044 posts, read 4,539,247 times
Alrighty thank you!

Old 04-23-2014, 12:32 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,719,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This is why it's always good to confirm where jobs are too--it might say "Minneapolis" but it's really in Minnetonka, etc.
Ooof, I had an job a few years ago where I often had to find information on various companies and almost all of them put "Minneapolis" or "St. Paul" as their address. Some of them are easy enough to tease out (General Mills is Golden Valley, for instance), but for many I had to have Google provide city boundaries just to tease out if that business was in, say, Plymouth or Minnetonka. Some of the businesses were really loath to provide their actual city.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM

13 posts, read 14,834 times
If the zip starts with 554--, it's Minneapolis area, 551-- St. Paul area. 55101-55114 I believe is St. Paul city proper. 55401-55414 is Minneapolis proper. Zips higher than that are suburbs. No, I don't work for the USPS.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:04 PM

5,808 posts, read 6,418,716 times
Your zip code identifies the post office that handles your mail. Nearby suburbs do not all have Minneapolis as a mailing address.

For example, someone gave Minnetonka as an example. Both 55343 and 55345 serve Minnetonka. The first one identifies the Hopkins post office and the second identifies the post office in the Glen Lake area of Minnetonka. Mail to Minnetonka addresses in those zip codes will be addressed Hopkins, MN 55343 and Minnetonka, MN 55345.

past50's post explains the breakdown but isn't completely accurate and leaves some out like the out the 550xx and 553xx zips. Here's a map that gives a sense of how the post office has identified things.

ZIP Code 55402 - Free ZIP Code Map, Statistics, Shipping, and More

Type a full or partial zip code in the left hand search box and you'll see the city name the PO has associated with that zip. This is the data that automated mail services will use.

And if you want to tell people your mailing address is New Hope that's fine. All the post office cares about it the zip code and the 9-digit zip is preferred.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:44 PM

413 posts, read 655,041 times
Zip Codes are a funny thing, because in many cases, they don't actually refer to where you live.

When I lived in Brooklyn Park, you could either put BP or Minneapolis as your Zip Code. Often time auto-fill forms would automatically fill in Minneapolis when you typed the Zip Code.

A lot of people who live in Minnetonka have either Hopkins or Wayzata Zip Codes.

An old girlfriend of mine lived in Ham Lake. Her Zip Code was Anoka, about ten miles away.
Where I grew up, the post office our Zip Code was tied to was Marine on St. Croix. There were at least three or four post offices that were closer, and we didn't live in the city of Marine.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 19,889 times
Default St. Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by past50 View Post
If the zip starts with 554--, it's Minneapolis area, 551-- St. Paul area. 55101-55114 I believe is St. Paul city proper. 55401-55414 is Minneapolis proper. Zips higher than that are suburbs. No, I don't work for the USPS.

I lived in St. Paul and my zip was 55119... so the zip goes at least that high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul