U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM

13 posts, read 15,096 times

Advertisements

Oh for anyone else interested in the noise mitigation zones here is the more detailed Minneapolis map I found.
http://www.macnoise.com/sites/macnoi...nneapolis2.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 10:49 AM

51 posts, read 77,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISU345 View Post
Thanks for the great tips! I found the sound maps through the airport commission, this will be really useful when we are looking at houses. Multiple trips at different times of the day may also be something we need to consider. I live by a pretty major airport now but not in the direct flight path so some airport noise really doesn't bother me. But I sure wouldn't want anything window rattling.
Northrop neighborhood resident here. Keep an eye on the patterns when considering airplane noise too. We live several blocks off the inbound paths and don't hear anything on inbound days, but on outbound days (and days when they use runway 17/35 to the north, which isn't often) we get more noise. I'm quite used to it at this point and barely ever even notice it anymore. Many homes have been noise mitigated, and some may still have funds available from the Metropolitan Airport Commission.

There's good value in the neighborhood. We live near the 48th and Chicago commercial node which is a high demand area with several restaurants, a bakery, several other shops and a newly renovated and gorgeous coffee shop. There's also commercial nodes on Cedar and 47th pretty close by, and Lake Nokomis is a 5-10 minute walk from my house.

We almost bought in Mac Groveland because I love that neighborhood, but we got much more bang for our buck where we ended up, and I'm happy about that.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,567,764 times
Before my aunts and uncles had kids and moved out to the burbs they lived in Longfellow. My friends I graduated college with also bought their starter homes there, 20 years later. It's sort of a perpetual starter home area. I think people buy homes thinking they are going to fix them up, but maybe only repaint the place, fix up the flooring and then move out to the burbs when they have kids. Thus, many of those quaint houses still have ancient electrical, poor insulation, unfinished basements, sub par windows, and so forth. There's a lot less to do than you would think in terms of going out, but the nearby parks and bike trails might make up for that. All that said, I am considering moving to that area because it's easy to get to the airport, the houses are relatively cheap, I like to ride my bike on the trails, play golf at Hiawatha, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or