U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 AM

41 posts, read 67,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I say it in reference to insurance companies pretty much everywhere. They can't discriminate so it's all or nothing, either the breed is on the list or it is not. You can look up the dangerous breeds on any insurance company website.
Yup, thats what I was thinking. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,653,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbee View Post
When you say slow downs, what sort of time are we talking? An hour? 20 min? Currently I commute an hour each way on the train and have done 1:30 as well. I have been told that its not a good idea to be living somewhere where you have to commute through the entirety of either St.Paul to get to work in Minn or vice versa.
With regular weather 94 usually gets stopped up for about 30 min between Lyndale in Minneapolis exit and Snelling in St. Paul. It's not horribly long, but it's stop and go and pretty frustrating. Another one to avoid is 36 between 280 and Hamline. Same story. I've always found it much worse in the evening than in the morning. In the mornings getting ON to the freeways is where the back up is. Once you're on it's sorta slow but at least keeps moving.

A time when it's almost worse than rush hour is summer Friday evenings on the way north out of town. I've been stuck in parked traffic for an hour and a half just outside of the city on 94 north on a Friday evening.

MN roads are always messed up in terms of damage and road construction. For instance last fall 694 was under construction so if you were coming into town from up north, you'd get stuck for an extra hour between Brooklyn Center and Little Canada in the evenings. Usually you can use traffic in your smart phone to avoid this. However, the alternate routes are usually not any faster, you just keep moving so it feels like you're making progress. It's probably difficult to figure out in advance, but might be worth thinking about looking up your possible commute routes and checking on the MNDot website to see if there are any major road construction projects planned for the time you'll be living there. It's all psychological, but the combo of bad roads, bad drivers and bad weather makes me more stressed out to drive here than I ever was in California which had worse traffic overall.

The advice you've heard is generally right. If you work in west downtown you're better off living not living in one of the burbs around St. Paul as you'll have to deal with traffic on either 36 or 94 then also the traffic downtown.

Living right IN St. Paul is another story, if you choose the right neighborhood. You cut out a lot of the traffic if you are on the western side of Snelling. Also, there will be a new light rail headed that direction from St. Paul so you could possibly cut out a drive entirely. Prospect Park is a nice little neighborhood over there with a light rail stop, and Hampden Park is an overlooked neighborhood which is ok and also close to light rail.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
With regular weather 94 usually gets stopped up for about 30 min between Lyndale in Minneapolis exit and Snelling in St. Paul. It's not horribly long, but it's stop and go and pretty frustrating. Another one to avoid is 36 between 280 and Hamline. Same story. I've always found it much worse in the evening than in the morning. In the mornings getting ON to the freeways is where the back up is. Once you're on it's sorta slow but at least keeps moving.

A time when it's almost worse than rush hour is summer Friday evenings on the way north out of town. I've been stuck in parked traffic for an hour and a half just outside of the city on 94 north on a Friday evening.

MN roads are always messed up in terms of damage and road construction. For instance last fall 694 was under construction so if you were coming into town from up north, you'd get stuck for an extra hour between Brooklyn Center and Little Canada in the evenings. Usually you can use traffic in your smart phone to avoid this. However, the alternate routes are usually not any faster, you just keep moving so it feels like you're making progress. It's probably difficult to figure out in advance, but might be worth thinking about looking up your possible commute routes and checking on the MNDot website to see if there are any major road construction projects planned for the time you'll be living there. It's all psychological, but the combo of bad roads, bad drivers and bad weather makes me more stressed out to drive here than I ever was in California which had worse traffic overall.

The advice you've heard is generally right. If you work in west downtown you're better off living not living in one of the burbs around St. Paul as you'll have to deal with traffic on either 36 or 94 then also the traffic downtown.

Living right IN St. Paul is another story, if you choose the right neighborhood. You cut out a lot of the traffic if you are on the western side of Snelling. Also, there will be a new light rail headed that direction from St. Paul so you could possibly cut out a drive entirely. Prospect Park is a nice little neighborhood over there with a light rail stop, and Hampden Park is an overlooked neighborhood which is ok and also close to light rail.

This is all really great info. Thank you!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,653,047 times
I forgot to mention, there are park and ride metro stations in many of the suburbs, so that could be an option too if you prefer to live further away from the city. These are mostly express buses but there is a commuter train, too. (although I don't know why anyone would want to live in the areas on the commuter rail line, except for maybe Big Lake)

Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 PM

74 posts, read 76,226 times
And in townhomes the association company can even have breed/size restrictions (no aggressive breeds is usually stated in the mls) Even though she is a sweetheart..

Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 AM

74 posts, read 76,226 times
single fam is going to be your best bet found some around 1600-2000 not specified on dog breed restrictions though. Found 3 active properties that allow dogs- 2 in maple grove and 1 in plymouth>they should show up in craigslist or padmapper =)

Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmarina View Post
single fam is going to be your best bet found some around 1600-2000 not specified on dog breed restrictions though. Found 3 active properties that allow dogs- 2 in maple grove and 1 in plymouth>they should show up in craigslist or padmapper =)
Could you send me the listings mnmarina?

Thank you!
M

Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,835 times
Default More on pitbulls and insurance

I don't know if the original posters will see this - but on behalf of all dog owners I wanted to reply.

As a former insurance underwriter and a dog lover I am trying to help correct some long standing misunderstandings about dog attacks. I have included one link but I think there are others - New Study Confirms Preventable Factors in Dog Bites, Breed Not Relevant : StubbyDog

Bottomline, owners make dogs bad and breed is not the real issue. So if your insurance company is asking you about your dog (or anyone else) share information with them about the age, gender and neutering of your pet. Also, share with them any obedience training, agility competition training or similar that proves you are a good owner. Inform them of the study and share the link above and tell them you are a good pet owner which overrides breed every time.

In the early 1980's I examined a claim for a dog bite - a St Bernard waiting to see the vet bit a small child in the face. St Bernards are a not a breed associated with dog bites, but things happen. The very young and very old, along with disabled people are at the highest risk of dog bites. So if you are the dog owner please be extra cautious with your dog when you are near anyone in that group. If you are in that group or are a caregiver to someone in that group- be extra cautious around dogs, even ones you might know.

Remember the old advice - don't look at a dog if you are afraid or don't like dogs. Dogs usually interpret eye contact as an invitation to approach you or even play with you.

Original posters - if you did move to Minnesota, welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul