Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:41 AM

878 posts, read 1,197,717 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for allowing me to bounce these things off of you.. in the last few days, I've located a few homes that would work for my family (and the dogs-- woohoo!) in a few different areas. Here's the decision we're trying to reach, any input would be welcomed.

One home is in the Wayzata school district (and the home is in Wayzata itself, so it's not too far from Minnetonka, Hopkins, etc). I've heard nothing but excellent things about Wayzata and all three schools are a 10/10 on greatschools (I take ratings with a grain of salt). The house is about 15-20 minutes away from Eden Prairie using major roads (mostly 494), where he'll be most mornings. And, if he ends up coaching in Chaska-Chanhassen, Wayzata could be as much 25 minutes away (and possibly with traffic, if I'm wrong about that, please let me know.) Also, will there be traffic coming from EP back up 494 to Wayzata around 8:45/9am?

Other options are living in either Eden Prairie or Chanhassen-- or maybe Minnetonka-- all of which can be as little as 5-7 minutes from the EP rink using local roads.. I'm hearing (mainly from people in Wayzata, who are obviously somewhat biased) that the schools in Wayzata are worth the longer commute-- would welcome opinions of those of you in the know.

My husband is willing to commute if it means a quantifiable difference for our kids' education, but we'd prefer for him to have as little of a commute as possible (especially as that makes it more likely that he can take our son with him some mornings and get him to school in time).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
He'd have to get stuck in MAJOR traffic for a commute from Wayzata to EP to take 25 minutes. You can get almost across the entire metro in that time 90% of the day.

As for schools--yes, Wayzata schools are very good, it's also the largest district in the state with no plans to reduce class sizes so, your children will graduate with 1000+ students at this pace. Most of the other metro schools will have 400-600 kids/grade, some even less than that. It makes a difference. It's all what you are comfortable with though I guess. Wayzata is also very affluent, VERY. The student parking lot is pretty much rivals a luxury car dealership. If that doesn't bother you, then it's a non-issue, but it is what it is. You can't go wrong with any of these areas or schools and the commute is really a non-issue.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM

Sorry, I was unclear.. I meant commuting to Chaska-Chanhassen-Victoria's rinks could take 25 minutes from Wayzata, not that the commute from Wayzata to EP would take that long.

That insight about Wayzata helps tremendously, I went to a high school here in FL that was much like that-- not certain that I want my kids to be exposed to the same, in fact, I don't think that I do. One kid had TWO cars (one for school days-- a Prelude-- and one for the weekends-- a Porsche 911, barf) and there were BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis galore-- and this, too, was a PUBLIC school. I felt like a pauper in my Honda Accord because I had absolutely zero perspective at the time (if only I could go back and smack my 16 year old self!)

EP has open enrollment (except for Forest Hills, which is closed to open enrollment) so even if we lived just west of EP in Chanhassen, I could easily drive the kids to school (plus their schools are K-6, so I can keep my three in the same school for one more year). Hmmm, lots to consider.. thanks again.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,269,451 times
A story about a district I worked for east metro--one day I was driving to work and the usual line up of cars was going to the high school in the AM. Tons of the kids had escalades, bmw's, mercedes, you get the picture. Well, as I rolled up along side of them in the left lane, at the stoplight, there was one car that looked out of place. It was a later model beater. I thought, "oh good, a student actually has a job and earned his own car." I looked to the right, and the person in the car was an assistant principal of the high school, LOL!!

By the way, ellysbelly, Chanhassen is also a great area, but I think you will see the "rich kid syndrome" in almost all of the burbs, except a few.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
A story about a district I worked for east metro--one day I was driving to work and the usual line up of cars was going to the high school in the AM. Tons of the kids had escalades, bmw's, mercedes, you get the picture. Well, as I rolled up along side of them in the left lane, at the stoplight, there was one car that looked out of place. It was a later model beater. I thought, "oh good, a student actually has a job and earned his own car." I looked to the right, and the person in the car was an assistant principal of the high school, LOL!!

By the way, ellysbelly, Chanhassen is also a great area, but I think you will see the "rich kid syndrome" in almost all of the burbs, except a few.
Not to the extent you will see it at Wayzata, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka and Edina though were it's more the exception rather than the rule. Chaska is a lot more down to earth and you will have a few kids like that but mostly not.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,713,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Thank you all for allowing me to bounce these things off of you.. in the last few days, I've located a few homes that would work for my family (and the dogs-- woohoo!) in a few different areas. Here's the decision we're trying to reach, any input would be welcomed.

One home is in the Wayzata school district (and the home is in Wayzata itself, so it's not too far from Minnetonka, Hopkins, etc). I've heard nothing but excellent things about Wayzata and all three schools are a 10/10 on greatschools (I take ratings with a grain of salt). The house is about 15-20 minutes away from Eden Prairie using major roads (mostly 494), where he'll be most mornings. And, if he ends up coaching in Chaska-Chanhassen, Wayzata could be as much 25 minutes away (and possibly with traffic, if I'm wrong about that, please let me know.) Also, will there be traffic coming from EP back up 494 to Wayzata around 8:45/9am?

Other options are living in either Eden Prairie or Chanhassen-- or maybe Minnetonka-- all of which can be as little as 5-7 minutes from the EP rink using local roads.. I'm hearing (mainly from people in Wayzata, who are obviously somewhat biased) that the schools in Wayzata are worth the longer commute-- would welcome opinions of those of you in the know.

My husband is willing to commute if it means a quantifiable difference for our kids' education, but we'd prefer for him to have as little of a commute as possible (especially as that makes it more likely that he can take our son with him some mornings and get him to school in time).

Thanks!
The difference in school quality between the three you mention is inconsequential & important only to people's egos. Aside perhaps from a specific oferring, there is no possible scenario that I can imagine where Wayzata would have any advantage over the other two or be worth an extra commute. All of those districts are perfect 10's, attend the one that is most convenient & where you get the most house for your money..

Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The difference in school quality between the three you mention is inconsequential & important only to people's egos. Aside perhaps from a specific oferring, there is no possible scenario that I can imagine where Wayzata would have any advantage over the other two or be worth an extra commute. All of those districts are perfect 10's, attend the one that is most convenient & where you get the most house for your money..
^Exactly what I was hoping to hear-- thank you! I think we're going to aim to find a home as close as possible to the EP rink to minimize his commute. Thank you!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Okay, random question-- is anyone familiar with the Temple of ECK? It's not that far from one of the houses I found in Chanhassen.. and just wondering if that's an issue (with noise/traffic and/or if a lot of their 'followers' live in the neighborhood)-- hoping that this isn't a deal killer, it's a great house and neighborhood otherwise.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM

74 posts, read 89,477 times
so I just googled the temple of Eck, wow that's different!!! Neighbors are a great source of feedback...If the home is in the running look at it about 5pm, neighbors will be out and about-asking how they like living there.
Most of the time they will tell you EVERYTHING!!!! (unless they are an Eckian)

Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,269,451 times
This is an article from the Mpls Tribune about the Temple of Eck. It says they have 800 members and 70 employees:
The Temple of ECK: Minneapolis Star Tribune Article

By their site, it looks like they go there various days to meditate, etc. so maybe it wouldn't be alot of traffic at once. Otherwise, don't know anything about them or how busy the area is, sorry. Maybe someone from Chanhassen will chime in. Or you could start a new thread re: temple of eck and see if anyone sees it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul