Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 PM

42 posts, read 414,747 times

Advertisements

Hubby is a huge Vikings fan, so were headed to the Dome for Monday Night Football--his 40th birthday trip. The question is: We have no idea what kind of clothing & shoes one should have in your environment. We are in the Sacramento area and the only true cold weather we know is vacation in Tahoe or alike. We see temperatures are going to be well below what we are used to. So, what do you all dress like? We're staying at the Marquette and plan to stay close in the area with a day trip also to the Mall. Do you all dress in boots, hats and scarves or are regular layers, coats and shoes the norm? Just want to pack the right stuff!

Thanks for your input! We've just got no idea what December is like for you! We're still trying to lose our fall leaves and in the high 50's here.

Last edited by Team Mom; 12-05-2007 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Mom View Post
Hubby is a huge Vikings fan, so were headed to the Dome for Monday Night Football--his 40th birthday trip. The question is: We have no idea what kind of clothing & shoes one should have in your environment. We are in the Sacramento area and the only true cold weather we know is vacation in Tahoe or alike. We see temperatures are going to be well below what we are used to. So, what do you all dress like? We're staying at the Marquette and plan to stay close in the area with a day trip also to the Mall. Do you all dress in boots, hats and scarves or are regular layers, coats and shoes the norm? Just want to pack the right stuff!

Thanks for your input! We've just got no idea what December is like for you! We're still trying to loose our fall leaves and in the high 50's here.
I can answer the weather part....I am a meteorologist who lives up in the far northwest part of the state (lots colder where I live than the cities it was -20F this Wed am). But for your trip this Sunday into Monday and Tuesday looks dry right now. Some slight chance for snow Saturday or Saturday night but not much at all....count on dry weather with sunshine on Monday. It will be a bit colder than usual....not record breaking cold....but cold with Monday evening temperatures down in the cities likely to be between 10 and 20 above zero but with light winds. With lots of snow around now that is sure to stick around....I would say many people dress in boots (maybe more hiking type boots than true big snow boots) along with a hat....scarf and gloves. I think wearing your usual clothing and then wearing a good quality coat would be enough.

More people can chime in on the fashion scene for the Dome....as fashion expert I am not

Dan

Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,557,570 times
fashion scene for the Metrodome.....not having a fashion scene. Purple helps.
The best you can do with California clothes is layer, I suppose. Boots are good if there is slush on the sidewalk, otherwise shoes are fine. A hood is better than a hat. It really does depend on tolerance. If you are particularly vulnerable to cold; you may want to shell out $20 at a thrift store and get a heavy coat.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,267,229 times
Don't go overboard with layers either. Your trip from the Marriott to the Dome on the lightrail (I am guessing) is heated, the dome will be plenty warm. I would suggest jeans, turtleneck and your favorite Vikings sweatshirt/jersey for the game. To and from the game a winter coat with a hood and gloves/mittens should be sufficient. I would probably skip the boots unless you have some hiking boots you don't mind wearing at the dome. You don't want to have to change shoes there and find a place to keep them.

If you hop the lightrail to MOA, same deal, it is heated so pants and a couple tops with a winter coat and gloves should be fine. You don't want to have to lug all that stuff around the mall.

If you were going hiking in the parks I would suggest warmer clothing but for what you are planning this should be fine.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your ideas! Appreciate them. We don't want to worry too much about the weather since we'll mostly be inside, but don't want to discount it either.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:20 PM

6 posts, read 32,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Mom View Post

Thanks for your input! We've just got no idea what December is like for you! We're still trying to lose our fall leaves and in the high 50's here.

I just looked on the NOAA website and it's quite cold right now, however, the forcast discussion did call for a pretty significant warm up next week (starting Monday) and for dry conditions. However, things can change quite rapidly in Minnesota so it's always best to keep informed. This link should help, along with the meteorologists' comments. There is a good 10 inches of snow on the ground now but that fell quite a while ago and it looks like all the major systems are going south due to high pressure.

Hope you guys have a great time, used to have season tickets myself when I lived up there.

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 44.97N and Longitude -93.07W

National Weather Service Twin Cities/Chanhassen, MN Forecast Office

Go Vikes!

Zach

Old 12-11-2007, 08:33 AM

987 posts, read 3,816,279 times
Vikes are hot, Bears are cold.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach71 View Post
I just looked on the NOAA website and it's quite cold right now, however, the forcast discussion did call for a pretty significant warm up next week (starting Monday) and for dry conditions. However, things can change quite rapidly in Minnesota so it's always best to keep informed. This link should help, along with the meteorologists' comments. There is a good 10 inches of snow on the ground now but that fell quite a while ago and it looks like all the major systems are going south due to high pressure.

Hope you guys have a great time, used to have season tickets myself when I lived up there.

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 44.97N and Longitude -93.07W

National Weather Service Twin Cities/Chanhassen, MN Forecast Office

Go Vikes!

Zach
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Vikes are hot, Bears are cold.
Love it! Love those Vikes and look forward to being with fellow Purple People!

We are preparing to be chilled for sure, but don't plan to overdue it as it sounds like the only time we'll be exposed to the elements is getting into taxis. We don't plan on being outside! You should hear the people out here. "You're going to freeze!" "Why now?" We say, "why not!" It's a lifetime trip for us! We'll deal with a few moments of crazy low temps.

Can anyone recommend a great restaurant or bar that should not be missed? Again, we're staying at the Marquette.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul