Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times

Advertisements

My brother will be driving from southeastern Wisconsin to northern Minneasota beginning on Friday.
He is retired & lives in a small town & is somewhat intimidated by urban driving issues. My guess is that he will get to Mpls/St. Paul at midday
When we drove together on the same route in August of 2012, I did the majority of driving, including all of the urban driving because I have 30 plus years of experience with it.
In 2012, east of St. Paul when we encountered signs warning us of one lane traffic & delays on the westbound I-694 bypass east of St. Paul on around to the northwest side of the metro, I opted to just drive through the middle of the cities instead & had no problems or delays.
Presently on the Minnesta DOT site & road work page, I see mention of one lane road conditions still existing on I-694.
Are the resulting delays serious enough that I should advise my brother to try going around the Twin Cities via the southerly bypass/beltline route? It looks less direct & noticeably farther in distance but the DOT site does not show construction projects as being an issue in that beltline area.
I'd be very cautious about advising him to drive through the middle of the cities.
What is his best option & is there construction occurring on eastbound I-694 that will also impact his return trip?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,826 times
It looks like there are no lane closures during the day on 694. I'd suggest taking that route.

I'll also point out that the signage for the new 694/U.S. 10 split is terrible. Heading westbound you need to be in the left lane just after Lexington Ave to stay on 694. The sign telling you this is probably less than a tenth of a mile before you need to change lanes if you are in the right lane.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
I appreciate that info northsub & the specific tip about the signage for that particular route split. A need for a quick lane change is the sort of thing that rattles my brother when he is driving.
I subsequently found some cams of I-694 traffic & the flow looked unimpeded & smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul