Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:59 AM

369 posts, read 630,181 times

Advertisements

I didn't see the question about churches, but there are several Christian churches on the University campus, as well as several Christian student groups. I didn't get involved with any of them during my semester there (I'm transferring to another school) but there are several. The student group directory on the UMN website will give you a list.

The length of a coat is probably a personal preference. I just noticed that shorter coats would let the cold air in, so I like a coat that's on the longer side to keep the air out. But it's all comfort. You'll just have to try them on to see what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 03:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,115,227 times
To answer one specific part of your questions, shop at Penzeys for the best and most exotic spices. It's in Uptown at 3028 Hennepin Av S. Maybe others here can suggest other places as well.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:13 PM

12 posts, read 14,773 times
Thanks for all the help everyone. I will definitely keep everything in mind as my move date gets closer.

I was also excited when I found out that Minneapolis has a Fogo de Chao!! We have one in Beverley Hills as well =).

Last edited by Toothy17; 05-26-2014 at 11:05 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,012,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothy17 View Post
What type of winter clothes should I buy? I want to do all my shopping before school starts, that includes clothes.
Assume I do not have any winter clothes. I only have light jackets at best. To clarify, I'm open to purchasing my clothes used, but would prefer to buy it in person for sizing issues. I'm also a male and need proper shoes as well.

In addition, where would be the best place to purchase furniture? I only need to furnish my own room, the rest of the house is good to go. I need a mattress, frame, desk, chair, lamp, solar lamp (for SAD), organizers, and a mini fridge. I was thinking of going to IKEA and getting most of this in one go, then using their in house shipping offer. Is there a better option?
If you're near the University, you really shouldn't need much more than a warm jacket, a hat, and gloves/mittens. Maybe a scarf too. You could also invest in a pair of boots, but I haven't ever really used any around the U - sidewalks tend to be cleared fairly quickly.

Depending on the amount of money you have to spend, I'd say Ikea would be your best bet. I furnished my entire room from Ikea (and a bit of Target) and it really wasn't expensive. I do know some good deals for furniture can be had on Craigslist, but your issue will be picking up the items (as I assume many people don't want to have to deliver items to you). The Target at the Quarry shopping center is the nearest one to the University and often has a ridiculous amount of back to school stuff (desks, chairs, and all the odds and ends like trash bins, organizers, and ironing boards) that will likely be cheaper than Ikea due to sales.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:31 AM

12 posts, read 14,773 times
I will be biking or walking about 0.6 miles to get the dental school building. Is light winter clothes enough? Especially since I'll be biking along the side of the Mississippi River? Would I need ski goggles are something if I was to bike due to the wind?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,326,002 times
You will want a good quality winter coat. Some insulated coats are lightweight, so its not essential to have a heavy coat, but winter in the Twin Cities has spans of time with below zero temps and even colder wind chills. You'll want a stocking cap, earflap or beanie (something to cover your ears), a scarf, and decent gloves or mittens. And, as nearly all Midwest mothers say, remember to dress in layers...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:04 AM

391 posts, read 656,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothy17 View Post
I will be biking or walking about 0.6 miles to get the dental school building. Is light winter clothes enough? Especially since I'll be biking along the side of the Mississippi River? Would I need ski goggles are something if I was to bike due to the wind?
You definitely need eye, ear and face coverage if biking in really low temps - maybe goggles if riding while it's actually snowing, Extreme cold AND wind can be dangerous. Layered lighter clothing is better than a heavy coat, like a vented wind shell with thermal shirt or sweater beneath, and something that wicks moisture next to your skin.

But you really don't have far to go and the river parkway is not as exposed as, say, parts of the Midtown Greenway. You'll have a little time to acclimate in Nov. - Dec. as well.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM

687 posts, read 1,249,363 times
I'd wait to buy anything for winter biking until you figure out if you would actually bike in the winter. I prefer walking to biking for a distance of 0.6 miles, particularly in winter. Biking is a lot colder (wind resistance) and probably slower when you consider the hassle of gearing up and getting out/putting away the bike/doing maintenance.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 AM

391 posts, read 656,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
I'd wait to buy anything for winter biking until you figure out if you would actually bike in the winter. I prefer walking to biking for a distance of 0.6 miles, particularly in winter. Biking is a lot colder (wind resistance) and probably slower when you consider the hassle of gearing up and getting out/putting away the bike/doing maintenance.
Yeah - not really worth the hassle for that short of a distance, more if you have a daily commute of a few miles and are really into it, then you'll get used to it. I'm from CA as well, and my first really cold ride (about 3°) felt like a continuous ice-cream headache - even with a fleece hood.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,012,963 times
Agreed on biking in the winter - for such a short distance, it's generally not worth it. My roommate goes to the U and is a hardcore biker, but in the dead of winter, he often puts bike away and rides the bus. This winter we had temps with windchill getting down to -50 degrees. The U never closes, so you still have to get in, but biking would just not be pleasant. If you're near a bus route, that is absolutely best.

I am sort of curious where you'll be living if you'll be biking along the Mississippi (presumably that means East River Road?) Unfortunately, bus options are limited down that way, so you may end up walking a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul