Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:07 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times

Advertisements

We're moving up to Chanhassen this week-- we'll be rolling into town late Saturday, have to stay close to home on Sunday to get the cable/internet hooked up, and my husband has a few meetings during the week but other than that, we'll have much of the week free to explore! Slight complicating factor, I twisted my ankle-- so my ability to go, go, go is a bit hindered at the moment.

We have three kids: ages 6, 9, and 11-- we'd love to show them all of what MSP and outstate has to offer (and it doesn't all have to be done in the first week, of course!) What are your MUST SEE/MUST DO activities, locations, restaurants, etc? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 07:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Linden Hills/Lake Harriet -- not so great if you're not walking much, but you'll still have fun. Get ice cream at Sebastian Joe's, stop in at the Wild Rumpus bookstore (your kids will LOVE it, and so will the adults!) then head down to Lake Harriet and hop a ride on the streetcar. It's the quintessential low-key Twin Cities experience. Or rent Nice Ride bikes and ride around the lake (maybe they could do that while you relax by the lake and enjoy the scenery.) Days like that are why people are willing to put up with the winters!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:22 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
For outstate stuff, a trip to Duluth really is an absolute must. The North Shore is beautiful. It's also a great escape from the hot, muggy days that we've started to get and the city comes alive during the summer with music festivals, marathons, and a whole horde of people from the metro cramming into the city and further north.

In Minneapolis, I'd also recommend trip downtown. Maybe start by getting ice cream at Izzy's and eating it and take in the sights at Gold Medal Park. Then walk along the river and cross the Stone Arch Bridge (and get obligatory photo with skyline and the falls!). Maybe grab lunch at St. Anthony Main or just wander.

You probably should visit Mall of America at some point. Just avoid it on weekends. It's an absolute nightmare, from parking to fighting the crowds to finding a spot to eat (especially if you choose a food court).

Two other family-friendly places are the Minnesota Zoo (Apple Valley) and Como Zoo (St. Paul).

Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
I like Minnehaha Falls.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
I agree the lakes - but prefer Harriet. Also I would take them to stone arch bridge; the zoo and that would cover the first week for me. Our first summer we took a number of great drives: Duluth and Red Wing were great scenic drives. They'll also love the state fair in late August; the science museum in St Paul and Valleyfair. In winter Bucks Hill.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:13 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Welcome Ellys. Whenever you want to Kvetch - shoot me an IM.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Given that you are moving from Florida, I would say go swimming in a lake somewhere since that is not something they can do in FL . Depending on the weather, I would go to the Mall of America since everyone back "home" is going to ask you if you have been there yet. Then I would get your hockey players interested in playing golf . It's a great cross-over sport and the golf coaches LOVE hockey players.

Actually, on Flying Cloud Drive, at the junction of Shakopee, Chaska, Chanhassen there is an all-season driving range, Golf Zone, but inside there is a nice mini-golf course, so put that on the burner for not so nice weather day.

Fort Snelling on the weekend is fun. It's a living history museum on weekends in the summer. They have some things going on during the weekdays as well so you could go then, but there is just more on weekends.

The Children's Museum and Science Museum in St. Paul is fun too.

I would plan a trip up to Duluth sometime this summer too. Since your husband's schedule is flexible, go mid-week, stay at a resort in Lutzen (Blue Fin Bay is fun), visit the Lighthouses and attractions in the area, on the way up or way back, stop in Duluth for the day, watch the barges and lift bridge, etc. At some point, rock skipping in Lake Superior is a tradition.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 AM

391 posts, read 659,733 times
Duluth - especially if you're from near the ocean and are feeling landlocked. The rivers and lakes help in the metro, but Lake Superior is so massive it really has a seacoast feel up there - minus the salt air.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 AM

47 posts, read 198,014 times
Our first week was in 2011 and we took the kids to MOA (of course) and spent time in downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. We ate at Mickeys Diner in St. Paul and spent some time in St. Pauls Cathedral (which is amazing). We also checked out many of the lakes (Harriet, Calhoun etc). It took us several years before we visited Duluth but it was worth the trip!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Duluth is ok but I don't consider it a "first week in MN" trip. It's sort of weird up there. I am not sure that Duluth itself is a great place to bring kids. It's kind of seedy. The North Shore is nice. Gooseberry Falls, Split Rock, Grand Marais, etc. I consider it more of a outdoorsy couples kind of place, though. Maybe good for outdoorsy teens, but not sure about young children. I actually think a trip to Bemidji and Itasca State Park would be more fun for kids. My family used to go there a lot when I was a kid and I remember it being a lot of fun. There is a good bike path through the woods, the mississippi headwaters, and your typical yucky MN lake beach to splash around and get cooties in. Is there something equivalent to Itasca closer to the Twin Cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul