Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 PM

152 posts, read 290,714 times

Advertisements

I own a condo in DT St. Paul. $0.50 per square foot is pretty average for HOA fee in DT. I pay just under that for my home, but also have way more amenities. I looked online and found this is what the Rossmor's fees cover "Heating, Air Conditioning, Sanitation, Snow/Lawn Care, Outside Maintenance, Hazard Insurance, Water/Sewer, Building Exterior, Security Staff, Professional Mgmt, Shared Amenities". Some buildings cover extra things like part of your cable/internet costs too. Also, the Rossmor building has been undergoing a major exterior repair or maintenance project. There's scaffolding around a portion of the building right now. So they may have had a big assessment or dues increase to cover the costs.

Also some buildings DT (or anywhere for that matter) have less than great management. The Gallery Tower had a horrible Board of Directors and ran their building nearly into the ground. So you'll find they have pretty high fees to make up for all the deferred maintenance, low building reserves, etc they experienced.

But an opposite example is the Union Depot lofts. They have incredibly low fees due to the fact Ramsey County owns the majority of the building. The county picks up the tab on a lot of expenses.

I'm sure my monthly fees aren't the same as if I owned a single family house. But mine cover water, heat, AC, security guards, a ton of building amenties (pool, fitness room, etc), underground parking, sewer, insurance and so on. Also about a year or two ago my building experienced a big power loss. The building management took care of all the repairs/insurance work. If it'd been my own house, I would've lost time off work making tons of phone calls to my insurance company, dealing with contractors over repair work, etc. I didn't have to deal with any of that mess. Having others in charge of those things is a huge load off my mind. I'm also not a big fan of shoveling or plowing out driveways and sidewalks after snowstorms before having to go to work.

For me, the good far outweighs any of the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 03:03 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,483 times
It seems like an ok deal with heating and AC included. Are there any other condo buildings downtown St. Paul that you recommend? I need to find a pied a terre somewhere in the Twin Cities and was thinking a condo would be better than a single family home for the reasons you describe.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:40 PM

152 posts, read 290,714 times
Well don't just go by what I say, but for me, the Pointe, City Walk , Lowry, Great Northern are probably the best. There are likely many others. I'd avoid Galtier, Gallery, and the Fitzgerald personally.

The Lowry doesn't have it's own parking though. I think the nearby ramp is about ~$130 a month. So you've gotta factor that in if you have a vehicle. But it's a really nice building. City Walk is one of the oldest HOA in downtown. Nothing great to look at on the outside. But I think the units are quite nice. And it's a solid well run place.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
$1500/month will buy a $400,000+house depending on how much you have to put down....that's a lot of house....
I didn't say you couldn't buy a nice house in much of the Twin Cities for that -- but you can't in my neighborhood. In my neighborhood we have a lot of condos and single family houses, but you can't get a single family house for $1500/month unless you put down well over 20%. I was just throwing that out there because to some extent it does depend on location. I assume that's part of the reason why my neighborhood neighborhood DOES have so many condos; lots of people want to live here, but not everyone can or wants to spend a half million or up on a single family house. In the case of downtown locations, there just aren't single family homes, so it's either buy a condo or you choose a different neighborhood. No one is buying a condo in downtown St. Paul because they're bargain hunting.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:07 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I was recently looking for condo/townhomes in downtown St. Paul. Unfortunately my conclusion was that the association dues in most complexes were too high for my liking. If I were to be walking distance to my office I may have considered it. But adding $400+ a month to a note seemed like a waste vs buying in WSP, Eagan or IGH. Considering the modest amenities in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul