Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 06:20 AM

40 posts, read 68,764 times

Advertisements

We have a four year old kid and are considering to move to Linden Hills or Edina(East). We live in Kenwood neighborhood, it is great and convenient, but our neighbors are all single young people or retired couple, it is difficult for my kid to make friends. We like energetic and active city life, but we also want good schools.

Which area is suitable for a young family, and very kids friendly? And what are the pros and cons of these two neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Linden Hills is the ultimate in family-friendly living. Tons of kids, a really popular park, great schools. I think odds are that if you live in Edina you'd end up spending lots of time in Linden Hills anyway, so instead of having to drive there, how much nicer for your kids to be able to walk or bike there instead!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
If you are talking about the part of Edina that borders Linden Hills, they are two peas in a pod. Pick your school district then make your move. I think you might reconsider moving at all though since your kid is almost in school and that's going to be a source of friends.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM

267 posts, read 558,344 times
Biggest differences -

- Schools is biggest one - Edina is very highly rated even if Mpls is improving it will be hard to catch up to what many consider premier district. Of course I argue that it's the affluence that leads to great results, not that the school/teachers are all that different.
- May be more home choices in lower price points in Linden Hills vs. Edina East
- Property Taxes - Minneapolis will be higher for houses with same valuations
- Appearance - Linden Hills is the trendy place for more affluent families who want to live in the city vs Edina which has the reputation of being a bit snobby - probably because they have so much affluence and school/sports success

Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
^ Keep in mind that when we're talking about schools you're talking about SW Minneapolis, Linden Hills specifically. People move TO Southwest Minneapolis because of the schools. There's no catching up to do on that front.

Agree that property taxes are higher in Minneapolis.

If OP does like where they live now I agree that it might be worth considering; we currently live near Kenwood School in Lowry Hill and there do seem to be lots of elementary-age kids around. The neighborhood as a whole isn't teeming with kids like Linden Hills, but they are definitely around and if you go with Kenwood you'll meet lots of neighborhood kids. If you go with a magnet like we did, odds are that more of the kids are going to live (much) farther south. We're moving about a mile south, and there are a lot more of kids around and a lot more of his school friends in closer proximity.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 PM

20 posts, read 39,217 times
We are moving to Kenwood with a 4yo boy in a month. Maybe we can meet up.
I loved the idea of Linden Hills, but most of the family friendly housing stock is new construction which wasn't what we were looking for. I think in Kenwood all those retired couples are probably going to be downsizing in a few years (like the people we bought our house from) and the single people will be having more kids, so Kenwood might become more family friendly eventually, although it won't have the cute business strip that Linden Hills has and of course, the proximity to middle and high school in LH is very desirable. I was also struck by the airplane noise in LH, which I guess people say you get used to after awhile, but for someone not used to it it is very striking.
From what I can tell, it seems most people moving from out of town seem to choose Edina or Kenwood over LH, whereas people who know Minneapolis better seem to choose LH or other areas around Lake Harriet.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 PM

40 posts, read 68,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne.kelly View Post
We are moving to Kenwood with a 4yo boy in a month. Maybe we can meet up.
I loved the idea of Linden Hills, but most of the family friendly housing stock is new construction which wasn't what we were looking for. I think in Kenwood all those retired couples are probably going to be downsizing in a few years (like the people we bought our house from) and the single people will be having more kids, so Kenwood might become more family friendly eventually, although it won't have the cute business strip that Linden Hills has and of course, the proximity to middle and high school in LH is very desirable. I was also struck by the airplane noise in LH, which I guess people say you get used to after awhile, but for someone not used to it it is very striking.
From what I can tell, it seems most people moving from out of town seem to choose Edina or Kenwood over LH, whereas people who know Minneapolis better seem to choose LH or other areas around Lake Harriet.
Yeah, let us meet, we can have playdate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: