Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:08 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times

Advertisements

I switched to CenturyLink over two years ago, and I couldn't be happier with the performance. My advertised speed is 40 Mb down and 20 Mb up. In speed tests, I actually get about 46 down and 17 up.

One important difference between DSL and cable, is that available bandwidth is shared with your neighbors on a cable line--the more people using the internet at any given time, the less available bandwidth for each given customer. On the other hand, with a DSL connection, the entire bandwidth is available exclusively to you at all times.

I don't have a landline telephone. If you do, interference is a potential issue. CenturyLink does provide filters which separate the DSL signal from the POTS signal, but some people still experience issues.

For the first two years, I paid about $55.00 a month. That went up to $80.00 after the initial two years. It's definitely worth it to me given the horrendous customer service I received from Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,081 times
Unhappy Landline Providers

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen_tarnation View Post
I have had Century Link as my provider for internet and a landline for the past almost three years with no complaints. Additionally, (and separately) I have DirectTV for basic channels and rely on Hulu and Amazon and Netflix for whatever else. I don't have these services bundled, although I'm not sure why not...
Century Link has been great as an internet provider - no complaints. We stream all the time as well as some multiplayer gaming and we have not had any issues. Our basic phone and internet is about $55/month.
I am new to Portland/USA have been in Canada for last 7 years, so all this is very new to me. The forum is bringing me up to speed, thanks.

Question: I am having a lot of trouble finding a landline in my neighborhood (near REED College).
I currently have a Comcast package and their basic cable is worthless. The phone is quirky, the settings time consuming to navigate, I have not gone one week w/o a problem on the phone. Latest is that they set rings to answering to 3, telling me that this would solve my FAX issue - now the message service works only intermitnetly, and call waiting doesn't work at all. And of course have to sacrifice FAX unless I pay more for second line, which I did not have to do in Canada-
Cut to the chase: I am an interpreter and looking for work. Found one company willing to hire me BUT they insist that I have a landline. This is understandable given the nature of the business. But I cannot find a landline service. I have spent hours on this and so far after having to give my apt. complex name, wait on hold for an hour while they "added" it, got a quote of 47.00 per month for a phone from Century Link. The guy did not seem really certain that this would be a "landline" so I am hesitant to contract them, esp. since the rate is so high and we all know what you go through when you try to change service plans with Comcast
Does anyone have ideas? Seems so unfair to have to forfeit a job due to this ridiculous "new" technology and lack of choice.
Feedback?
Sorry I just realized this should be a new thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul