Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 PM

25 posts, read 27,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwanderer View Post
The big 3 players/ health systems in the Twin Cities area are Allina (Abbott), Health East and Fairview (U of M). Allina and Fairview have some great clinics and hospitals.
Oh my gosh thank you for the clarification! I wasn't sure what the Allina and Fairview references meant! But I appreciate everyone's feedback! It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
the MNA (Mn nurses association) seems to have a strong presence in parts of the state and represents several hospitals in the metro area including abbott and the U of MN at the Fairview Riverside campus. as far as how strongly they advocate, you can visit their website for further info. they have been instrumental in strike actions in the past.

if you've worked at KU you've got experience working with residents and interns and you'll find that at the U of MN/Fairview, HCMC, Regions and the VA. other hospitals will have a few residents but the ones i listed will be mostly staffed by house staff, they are the major teaching hospitals in the area. in fact, the U, VA and Regions all rotate the same residents if i remember correctly through the program at the U. i believe HCMC runs their own residency program.

nursing salaries seem to be holding and i've not heard of any cuts in pay. as in many places the shortage of a few years ago seems to have abated a bit.

if you don't want to get a MN license now the VA might be worth a look, you can practice there on any state license.

HCMC is a county hospital and all that that implies but the care there is actually pretty good, they have a level 1 trauma center. interesting mix of patients, however

united in st paul might be worth a look as well.

i just checked the usajobs (federal jobs site) and the salary for an RN at the VA ranges from 58579-105890. movement up the pay scale depends on a number of factors. given your experience i'm guessing you'd start at the lower end of that. i'm not sure how this compares to other facilities in the area but my guess is it's a bit lower but they try to keep salaries somewhat competitive with the private market. they are represented by a federal union and not the MNA.

mayo is sort of an island unto itself. it has it's own med school and residency program and is about 80 miles away. they do their thing, the metro does theirs. i don't think they negatively impact each other and i'm sure in some cases positively impact each other.

abbott has a good reputation and has a big cards population (the heart hospital-it's actually a wing) and huge clinic (Mpls heart institute). it might be a place to start until you find that dream job in hem/onc.

also, i have never really understood the relationship between the U and Fairview. It seems Fairview runs some aspects of the U hospitals that are staffed by residents and university health physicians. i don't understand it but it's conceivable you would actually be a fairview employee working at the U hospitals or at least at one of them on riverside. you might want to check on that piece of it. fairview seems to be an ok place in regards to quality, etc. as someone who worked in healthcare and spent some time as a patient at abbott and fairview southdale, i felt i got better care at southdale. good luck!
HCMC orthopedics residents are part of the UMN/Regions/VA group. Not sure about the other depts.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM

258 posts, read 647,973 times
From what I know Abbott NW is highly respected. I had surgery there a couple years ago and my surgeon said one of the reasons she prefers ANW is the high quality nursing care. I would stay away from Fairview for many reasons including feedback I've heard from nurses and other healthcare professionals who work there.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 PM

906 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
HCMC orthopedics residents are part of the UMN/Regions/VA group. Not sure about the other depts.
HCMC has there own residency programs in internal medicine and surgery. They have several fellowships in-house, including cardiology, but also has fellows that rotate through from the U. Medical students from the U also rotate through. All of the HCMC staff physicians have faculty appointments at the U.

If you have interest in trauma ICU or under served patients, HCMC is a great place to work.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:25 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,459 times
From my understanding "The U"/Fairview seems to be a good environment for nurses (great advocates, and good wages), and for what its worth most nurses I have spoken with like working there, however like many institutions it will vary from floor to floor, and unit to unit. The good thing about the MSP is there is a ton of healthcare opportunities in-house or out-house so finding a job shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packwanderer View Post
Hi, I'm from KC and did medical training there, including a few months at KU. Minneapolis and St Paul are both better than KC, eventhough KC is pretty great and Royals > Twins. Much more to do here than KC. And it's only an 1 hr 15 min flight or 6.5 hr drive back to KC. I think you'd like it here. I do! I've lived here only a little over a month and it's great so far.
The Royals are finally better than the Twins after several years and came extremely close to beating the Giants in the World Series, but Minneapolis/St. Paul also offers NHL hockey and NBA basketball which are nonexistent in KC.

The Twin Cities region is great for both hospitals and the medical instrument industry. It is also great for the OP to know that Rochester, MN is a good option with the excellent Mayo Clinic if she should decide a smaller but growing city/metro area suits her better in the future when she is in her 30's/40's/50's. She would still be reasonably close to the TC for the occasional weekend getaway.

Glad to hear you are enjoying life in the TC!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:09 AM

298 posts, read 750,956 times
Allina Health runs: Abbott-Northwestern Hospital in South Minneapolis, United Hospital in Downtown St. Paul, Unity Hospital in Fridley, Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids among others.

Fairview Health Systems runs: Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville, Fairview Riverside Hospital in Minneapolis, Wyoming Hospital in Wyoming, MN, the hospital in Princeton and has the University of Minnesota Hospitals including the Amplatz Childrens Hospital on the U of MN campus.

Health East owns: St. Josephs Hospital in Downtown St. Paul, St. Johns Hospital in Maplewood, Woodwinds Hospital in Woodbury and Bethesda Rehabilitation Hospital in Downtown St. Paul.

North Memorial Medical Center has two hospitals: one in Robbinsdale and the second one in Maple Grove among several neighborhood clinics which nearly all health providers have as well.

Health Partners and Park-Nicollet are well into the long process of merging the two locally based health care companies including their hospitals and affiliated clinics. Health Partners has Regions Hospital (which was formerly called St. Paul-Ramsey County Medical Center), Hudson Hospital in Hudson and Lakeview Hospital in Stillwater. Park Nicollet has Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park.

Hennepin County runs Hennepin County Medical Center in Downtown Minneapolis.

The Veterans Administration has the VA Hospital in South Minneapolis near the intl airport along with outpatient clinics in Maplewood and Ramsey.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester is among the best in the nation. Mayo runs most of the hospitals in southern Minnesota along with the affiliated health clinics.

You may want to check-out employment opportunities at: Sanford Health and Essentia Health among other health clinics in the area.

Best of luck with your career success!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul