Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM

24 posts, read 111,616 times

Advertisements

Scott,
I'd really like to hear your story....it feels like I'm the only one who went through this nightmare, as there's nothing really out there about these kinds of places. I left GVMC to be transferred to another similar facility that was closer to home (I was from Michigan) and that next facility was just as bad, but engaged in different tortures. In many ways though, it was all the same. Unfortunately Golden Valley is not the only facility that tortured children during that time, it seems that it was a cultural rave, happening across the country in thousands of facilities, and yet NOBODY TALKS ABOUT IT.....it's a secret and stain on parenting teens in the 1980's and the teens that survived it.

We may have been there at the same time!!!! I would have to dig out my records but what I do know for sure is that I was there in December 1985 because I spent my "Sweet 16" birthday in that hell hole. We may have been ships passing in a lonely night, on one of the 3 wards they had. My doctor was Dr. Pennington, an old lady who understood nothing about me. I will share more identifying information with you privately, if you were there around the time that I was there.

It was SOOOO long ago, but when I think about it, it feels like just last year that I was there and trying to survive all they did. I hope you're able to find some semblance of a normal life and some happiness, no matter how small or mundane. I find its those mundane moments, when I'm happy that make the biggest difference.
Warm Fuzzies,
GVMC peer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 27,110 times
hello im not sure which one was worse? I think atp 2 was. I was in one both times. yes I will share mine like I said in the email it was where we kinda lived. I remember my and coule friends were going to hang in hallway till someone got buzzed through the door and we wanted to just bull rush the door. I was pretty young I was only 14. I was in 4 different treatment centers before I turned 18. 14,15,16,17. My parents were strict catholics and yes I wore the blue uniform to school every day !! lol. god forbid a kid tries some pot omg lets lock him up. I had some really good friends there. my one friend she had red red hair and I do believe she was pushing two years there when I left. don't know if its cool say names so we just say red head, anyway ill write more later. btw ive been consumed with looking this place up. but not really much on it. I was alays told the got shut down for keeping kids there for long periods of time. so idont know. but the web is loaded with pages of places across the country abd I mean a ton all for like . anywhere from rape to keeping kids to kids comminting suicid, all kids of stuff. .Stay safe

Old 09-26-2015, 10:56 AM

I was also on atp2 but only for a short time. I spent a lot of time on the intake crisis unit, waiting for a bed to open in either atp1 or atp 2. After I was finally transferred to atp 2, they couldn't handle my behavior/coping skills and I was put back in the intake crisis unit for the remainder of my time there. I don't remember many of the kids names that were there with me, perhaps because I spent most of my time in the crisis unit and kids moved thru there every couple of months, moving into one of the atp units. I obviously remember the shrink, nasty old lady.....and I really remember Sandy the music therapist...probably because this was the only time I felt connected and understood, listening to the music and lyrics...made me feel not so alone...atleast the song artist got me.....lol....I also remember the activities aid guy...not his name but he was a short guy with really curly hair, reminded me of Richard Simmons.....he was a lot of fun and was funny....BUT WAS SUCH A LIAR.....reporting stuff to staff that he claims he "witnessed" and it was a total lie......
I remember the qr on atp2 with the carpet half way up the wall.....but the crisis unit didn't have that carpeting that I remembered. Or when the two qr were full, they took you off the unit to ar in the hall. They loved to roll you up in mats but I could wiggle right out. I clearly remember wiggling out and then falling asleep and they would WAKE ME UP to roll me in the mat again....that's insane...the point was to calm us down I thought....so if I'm sleeping, I clearly am calm but they would still wake me up to put me back in the Matt....and the cycle would repeat. Sometimes they got sick of it and they'd have a staff member sit on me while being rolled in the mat. I hated it because it hurt, squeezed the boney parts of my joints inside the mat and it was hard to breathe. Sometimes they'd shoot me up with drugs and roll the mat....kinda a double whammy, I would think. Were you ever put on the lounge program or the earn all program?

Old 09-27-2015, 02:46 AM

Well i was there 100% at that time . Im pretty sure i was in the the less intense side. I do remember someone going off over there. Maybe you?? Lolno offence but who wouldt! If you didnt go off on them once in a while, i did. . Yes i remember the richard simmions. He was first one to come to my room when i got there and cheer me up. He had some grpes i remember. He wanted to show me some trick with the grapes so he did it and i told him i wanted to see a real trick . So i said lets see you eat five grapes and crap out a box of raisins. Lol. That would be inpressive. We must been in same unit i remember on night they brought us out in the lounge or whatever it was all in a big cirlce and richard simmions was saying some stuff. Nodody liked him after that cause he was the closest to our age and he always acted like our freind then he said buch **** that night. And the dreaded crisis unit, we we just sat there and waited for a bed. , remember a girl smacked the crap out of a nurse one day . Broke ther nurses nose. Maybe that was you!! I think it was you!!! Lol. If so gooooo sammy!!!. If you were smaller and had either blond or redish blond hair. And whoever this girl was she was fn pissed i remember this for sure also that nurse that looked just like dom deloiuse. His name was brian. He was gay as gay could be. But hey if your gay your gay. But seriouls lets put a totaly flame gay guy in a locked down unit with a bunch of 13 14 15 little boys! I mean in early 80' being gay was not accepted very well in our society so as far as im concerned he should been locked up himself.. I do remember some kids name im sure first name basis here is ok . Gut ill respect any and mention to you in a personal messege. But i remember 5-6 people like it was yesterday. Friends were good to have there,. But then remember them and there "restrictions" like if you spent to much time with a person they would forbid you and that person to talk. Omg keep everyone from making a freind in there i mean very good chance if you were there you were there anywhere from 6 months to 2 years . And if you search internet there is story after story of these all over the us. And funny they all closed around the same time. I seen come court papers on internet they shipped some doctor from like st marys hospital, he was dr cormans partner. I didnt read it to in depth but he got charged with like 85 counts of just endless unethical practise. And a nother thing i found is whover owned this hospital had like eight more in different states, and they all did the same s h i t. Pretty sad. Any way text or email me and i throw some names at you see if you remember anyone.. Peace my friend

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 PM

Hello sammy or anyone else that was in gvhh that stands for hell hole not health center. I would love to chat with anyone who was here, please conact me. Thank you. Scott

Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 PM

Default Golden Valley hospital

Hello, if anyone reading this know of anyone who was in golden valley hospital in any unit. Adolesent therepy as they called it??. I ouldnt give em that much credit or the cd unit,or any other place at the hospital, iknow they had a wide range of units for many different things. Pesronally i myselyf am looking for freinds that i made when i was there or anyone who was there at any time i was there in crisis unit and atp 1 possibly atp 2??? 1982 for just few weeks. But then again from late sept early oct 1985 - may 1986. One my good friends had the record for longest there i believe she was in somwhere 20-22 months!/ my name is scott i was 14 first time 17 second time. Ive connected with someone there same time would really love to find more. I met people there from minn which is my state also lots kids from ohio, new york, kansas,kentucky please do respond

Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 PM

 ditto......anyone from crisis unit (I think it was ACU) or ATP 1 or ATP2 in the fall of 1985 to spring 1986. Thanks everyone.....and thank you Scott!!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,243,782 times
I am curious where this hellhole was located in GV.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Default Gvhs

Hello Sammy this is Scott we spoke on the phone this past summer. I was wondering If you remember how you obtained your medical records from that hell hole? I dont have you nu.ber anymore I lost that phone and all numbers. Could you call or text me? 612 222 5241. Hope all is well with you. I've thought about you and wondered how you have been. Hope to hear from u again

Old 01-26-2016, 01:37 PM

This hospital was located in golden valley right off golden valley road. The building still stands but its some other medical center. 4101 golden valley rd .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul