Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is MSP like?
Provincial, settled and not so great for newcomers 14 26.92%
A blend of provincial and transplants 35 67.31%
Very transplant oriented and great for newcomers 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The worst of the winter can't be that bad, right? I'm guessing it only hits below 0 maybe a few times and that's all.
The winter is terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
The winter is terrible.
when I use to commute, while waiting for the oft-delayed buses, we would stack up the frozen bodies around us to block the fierce polar vortexes that hit those that were unprotected like a thousand glass needles.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:12 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Quote:
That actually sounds great! I don't like places that are busy, stressful, fast paced or crowded like Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle, Dallas, etc.

I want suburbia that's comfortable enough for a single gay dude to live in. Not that I'm an obvious gay.

I also don't like places that have a dominating hipster culture, such as Portland, Austin or San Francisco. Please tell me MSP isn't like that.

Although I'm a liberal when it comes to politics, I live a conventional lifestyle (business job, house, car). And I'm more of the quiet, introverted type of person (kind of insular, I guess lol).

Sorry for all the questions. As I mentioned, I have never been to MSP. Obviously, if I get an interview, I would spend a few days there to come to my own judgments.
MN is certainly not very fast paced.
It does have some big city issues, mainly a road system designed for 1970s level traffic and a higher crime rate than you might imagine. It's easy to avoid the crime but harder to avoid the roads.
It's got enough pockets of hipsters to have decent coffee but hipsters certainly do not dominate.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:28 AM

171 posts, read 195,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
when I use to commute, while waiting for the oft-delayed buses, we would stack up the frozen bodies around us to block the fierce polar vortexes that hit those that were unprotected like a thousand glass needles.
The great thing about this is that Minnesota frozen bodies are usually taller and bigger than your average human, so you really can stack a lot more bodies here.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thank you. I pity people who put stock in opinions like that...
I do too. Young people today seem to be confused about how to evaluate the abundance of information they have at their finger tips.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
That actually sounds great! I don't like places that are busy, stressful, fast paced or crowded like Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle, Dallas, etc.

I want suburbia that's comfortable enough for a single gay dude to live in. Not that I'm an obvious gay.

I also don't like places that have a dominating hipster culture, such as Portland, Austin or San Francisco. Please tell me MSP isn't like that.

Although I'm a liberal when it comes to politics, I live a conventional lifestyle (business job, house, car). And I'm more of the quiet, introverted type of person (kind of insular, I guess lol).

Sorry for all the questions. As I mentioned, I have never been to MSP. Obviously, if I get an interview, I would spend a few days there to come to my own judgments.
You could look in the cities as well, most Twin Cities neighborhoods aren't really that busy and stressful... Minneapolis sure is no Chicago or Boston.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You could look in the cities as well, most Twin Cities neighborhoods aren't really that busy and stressful... Minneapolis sure is no Chicago or Boston.
That is so awesome. Although the metro is larger than I'd ideally prefer and somewhat flat, it sounds like the perfect place for me. I am 30, gay, single, professional, highly educated, liberal, four seasons and like to exercise regularly. I hope it works out.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
That is so awesome. Although the metro is larger than I'd ideally prefer and somewhat flat, it sounds like the perfect place for me. I am 30, gay, single, professional, highly educated, liberal, four seasons and like to exercise regularly. I hope it works out.
Based on this you would definitely enjoy the Twin Cities. Quiet, check. Outdoor recreation and exercise culture, check. Slightly left of center, check. Fairly gay-friendly. Very well educated, lots of colleges and grad programs around. Very white collar workforce.

The big negatives (brutal winter and a relative lack of stunning scenery like mountains or oceans) don't sound like deal breakers.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:04 PM

98 posts, read 199,641 times
Just be aware that Minneapolis-Saint Paul might be gay-friendly, but the gays are definitely not friendly to each other. It's a very competitive, overeducated, materialistic group of people who can't stand each other and are almost never interested in one another. Because just about all the gay guys down there look the same, dress the same, walk the same, talk the same, buy the same things, etc - there's no diversity among gay men whatsoever there. If you don't have a masters degree and work a blue collar job they treat you like you have the plague or something because everything with gay men is about money, looking like you have money and acquiring the most expensive of everything. So what happens is, guys like that end up staying there, while guys who reject those kinds of constraints leave.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
I wish you luck in finding your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul