U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 03:32 PM

290 posts, read 522,425 times

Advertisements

People ask me why I'm not a football fan. Hmmmm... maybe it's because that's what happens when you grow up with a subpar, continually disappointing NFL team and just a subpar Gopher team. Even on the rare years, the Vikes are good, they rip your heart out in the first round of the playoffs. So now, when I watch games like last night, I just laugh like you would at the crazy uncle. That's my Vikes. Those silly, silly Vikes. Any Vikes fans that truly get upset anymore at games like last night need to take a hard look at themselves. Smart fans gave up on that team ages ago. It's like the Red Sox curse, but somehow seems worse than that.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,470,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
People ask me why I'm not a football fan. Hmmmm... maybe it's because that's what happens when you grow up with a subpar, continually disappointing NFL team and just a subpar Gopher team. Even on the rare years, the Vikes are good, they rip your heart out in the first round of the playoffs. So now, when I watch games like last night, I just laugh like you would at the crazy uncle. That's my Vikes. Those silly, silly Vikes. Any Vikes fans that truly get upset anymore at games like last night need to take a hard look at themselves. Smart fans gave up on that team ages ago. It's like the Red Sox curse, but somehow seems worse than that.
I'm not a fan of sports in general anymore, i just randomly lost interest... when i was big into football i was still a Vikings fan dispute the poor performance.
I will admit the only thing that was stopping me from jumping the bandwagon and becoming a Packer fan is that i didn't want to be associated with other Packer fans.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:46 PM

8,279 posts, read 11,272,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
It will probably come as somewhat of a surprise to all the squareheads (obscure 'The Long Riders' reference) in Minnesota but, the notion that the Vikings are a franchise wallowing at the bottom of the heap since inception is largely based on virtual, wet-behind-the-ears football experts who get their info from random tweets from other blints in the internet world.

The Vikings have the 6th best winning pct. of all teams since the merger in 1970 and going back to '68 when they first became relevant, they are 88 games over .500, the Pack is 35 games over in that time and the mighty Bears are 13 games under in those 45+ years. They have a better record in most decades than either GB or Chicago and have had more HOF players than either, probably more than both combined.

Last I heard, unlike certain Packer coaches, no Vikings coach has had their dog murdered.
It's not often that you see anyone making a reference to Dan Devine..

Of course, much of that differential came during the Bud Grant/Purple Gang era..

Old 10-03-2014, 07:53 PM

10,926 posts, read 8,965,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
For those football fans out there it is horrible. Why is green bay so much better by so much?
They're 2-3. After this week's full slate of games, half the league will be no better than 2-3.

Before the season began, few were predicting that the Vikings would come out of their first five games (against St. Louis, New England, New Orleans, Atlanta, Green Bay) with multiple wins - and that was before Peterson was lost for the season, Rudolph was lost for several games, and so forth.

They're a rebuilding team QB'd by a journeyman (injured)/a rookie (injured)/a bad QB (dubiously healthy), without their best player, missing a key receiver, with a really rough schedule to kick off the season... and they're still 2-3. All things considered, they're overachieving so far.

Trivia:
Q: Name the only NFL franchise that has not once had three consecutive losing seasons in the last half century.
A: You guessed it - the only time the Vikings have put up back-to-back-to-back losing campaigns were their first three seasons, 1961-1963.

This is a football town because the Vikings, while they've never won it all, are almost always in the mix. They rarely play games that don't matter. Contrast with the Twins - sure, they've won two Series. They've also regularly gone into decade-long tailspins where the season is obviously over before May is over, season after season after season.

I swear, there are people who'd be happy if the Vikings only one won winning season every quarter century, so long as it was a championship. They're too clueless to realize how lucky they've actually got it.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:26 PM

15,408 posts, read 5,822,256 times
Zimmer got the Vikings off to a great start with an opening day dominating win at St. Louis. They beat a good Atlanta team last Sunday, too with the offense putting 41 points on the scoreboard! I believe he will be a very good coach. He is definitely an upgrade over Leslie Frazier IMO.

The Adrian Peterson child abuse scandal and the injuries to QB's Cassel and Bridgewater hit the Vikings hard having to go to the 3rd string QB Ponder at Green Bay. That pick six Ponder threw to Peppers vs. Green Bay pretty much sealed their fate Thursday night and it snowballed from there. Hopefully, Bridgewater will be ready to play before their next game. All things considered, they have held it together pretty well under the circumstances just to be 2-3 with all that has happened. If Detroit should lose their game Sunday, they will still be just one game back for the division lead.

A team loses their best offensive player for the season and early in the season has to use their 3rd string QB on the road against a very good team. That answers the question of why they are not so good at the moment. With a healthy Bridgewater, they'll bounce back. This is about as good as could be expected. A lot of teams facing the same scenario would be 0-5 or 1-4.

Expect a Jekyll-Hyde type season depending on the injury situation at QB for the most part. They have two promising runners and a future star in Cordarelle Patterson. They also have a great kicker in Blair Walsh who could help them win a few close games this year. Defensively they have improved a little from last year, but need to get more consistent. I predict an 8-8 season.

As Ghengis emphasized, they have had some great teams and players in the past. The season that hurt the most for me was not one of the four Super Bowl losing teams. It was the 1998 team featuring stars Randall Cunningham, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Robert Smith and a great offensive line. That offense still ranks among the highest scoring in NFL history and the D was pretty good, too. They lost a playoff game to the Falcons in OT. The 1998 Vikings had a 15-1 regular season record and are arguably the best NFL team to have not made it to the Super Bowl.

A little off topic, but if the Vikings should falter at least the Gophers are off to a great start for football fans and I am surprised there has not been a thread about them yet after their Little Brown Jug win over Michigan last Saturday!

Last edited by chessgeek; 10-04-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 11:37 AM

32 posts, read 97,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Let's see...

- The best player is suspended for beating his kid
- QB is injured
- six other formerly starting players are injured
- The injured guys aren't great anyway
- No offense worth mentioning
- Weak line
- No defense aside from maybe the front four
- special teams coach is an idiot
- head coach and GM are weak
- team owner is a convicted racketeer
- no home stadium
- 3rd worst fans in league after Miami and Atlanta (half of Minnesota roots for Packers even if they've never set foot in Wisconsin)
Gonna PONDER that for a bit!

Old 10-05-2014, 11:49 AM

3,767 posts, read 8,427,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Let's see...

- The best player is suspended for beating his kid
- QB is injured
- six other formerly starting players are injured
- The injured guys aren't great anyway
- No offense worth mentioning
- Weak line
- No defense aside from maybe the front four
- special teams coach is an idiot
- head coach and GM are weak
- team owner is a convicted racketeer
- no home stadium
- 3rd worst fans in league after Miami and Atlanta (half of Minnesota roots for Packers even if they've never set foot in Wisconsin)
This post will have me chuckling all day!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:11 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,535,468 times
I'm a lifelong Packer fan (born and raised in Milwaukee), so I'm going to give a friendly perspective here...
First of all, with Bridgewater in, the Mn/Gb game would have been a heck of a lot closer. Looks like you guys lot a solid starter there. Sure, we have only seen Bridge play most of one game, but it was WAY more than any QB has shown in a Viking uniform in quite a while.
I actually think Peterson is disposable at this point. He isn't getting any younger and his future is so uncertain with the personal life stuff. I don't know what his salary is, but he is undoubtably the highest paid player in Minnesota. I think it would be smart to get your two young running backs (who really don't look that bad) going and invest that money on the defense. With Bridgewater and Patterson on the offense, a playmaker or two on D would balance things out nicely,
Green Bay isn't "lucky" to have their quarterback situation... They still used a first round pick on Rodgers when essentially the rest of the league passed on him... And then they sat him behind Favre where the playbook was drilled into his skull.
The Packers hardly partake in free agency, also showing that their success isn't based on "luck"... They have amazing scouts and develop their talent through the draft.
Another thing GB has going for them is the fact that they have stability. McCarthy will call a crappy play on occasion, but the fact that he has had the helm for nearly a decade makes life easier for the whole organization.
It is a strange time for Gb... Rodgers is aging and we know we have to capitalize while we still have him... But they are desperately trying to be a 50/50 team with run and pass. Lacy broke through the other night, but his previous games have been VERY rough. He was doing a little too much dancing and the blocking also wasn't there.
I think we can all agree upon the fact that the days of GB running away with the division are gone. Chicago is better, Detroit is definitely legit and Minnesota will have much better days in the near future when things stabilize and players get healthy.
The division is more competitive which makes the games more fun... Good luck to you guys and enjoy the season and your new QB!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:04 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,070 posts, read 4,823,393 times
People like them because they're real fans and stick with the team through thick and thin. Sorry if that's too radical of a concept for some people. I love the Timberwolves despite that fact they haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. If they miss the playoffs for the next 50 years I'll still love them. I continue go to games in the freezing cold winter, pay for parking in the ramp and the outrageous price for a beer, and buy jerseys and other stuff. I am also planning on going to several games this upcoming season, and I continue to do all this despite the fact it's been 10 years since they made the playoffs.

Reason people like the Packers is because they're bandwagoners. simple as that. Whenever you hear someone say "How many super bowls have the Vikings wins" It's clear thats exactly why they like the Packers. It's why theres so many Steelers fans everywhere, along with Lakers, Celtics, Red Wings, Yankees, etc. And I know people say "Detroit has a lost a lot of their population thats why you see Red Wings fans everywhere" If that were true, I should be seeing Detroit Pistons and Lions fans everywhere, but you don't, not on the scale that you see Red Wings "fans" at away games. Same thing with the Packers. You see Packers fans nationwide, yet how many Milwaukee Bucks or Brewers fans do you see?

As been stated, Vikings have a very good win percentage, and have historically not had long periods of irrelevancy like a lot of other teams, and have never missed the playoffs more then a couple years in a row except for when they first started 1960-1967. Unforutnately, they always choke when they reach the super bowl or playoffs. If they could of won atleast one of the Super bowls in the 70s and made either the super bowl in 1998 or 2009 and won, the Vikings would have so much more respect.

Just look here (http://tinyurl.com/n47vrak) I know it's from 2012 but the Vikings are #6, and it's worth noting that the Vikings have only been around since the early 1960s. The only other team ahead of them in playoff appearances that has been around the same amount of time (or less) as the Vikings is the Cowboys, which joined the NFL in 1960. The Browns have been around since 1946, the Giants since 1925 and the Bears and Packers since 1919.

I think a better question would be why do people think the Packers are never bad? In the 70s and 80s the Packers only made the playoffs a whopping two times (1972 and 1982) And on That 70s Show they're always making references as to how bad the Packers are. All teams have bad seasons, and sometimes many bad seasons in a row, including the Packers and the Steelers.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 10-09-2014 at 08:23 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 08:07 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,111,208 times
The Vikings are football gods next to the Jaguars....and I'm a fan of the Jags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul