U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:01 PM

73 posts, read 53,650 times

Advertisements

I am 19 and currently attending a community college near Des Moines, Iowa. I have lived in a small town my entire life and have wanted to move to a bigger city for a while now. The smart thing I do understand is to stay in-state and finish my education, but that is 3-4 years out if I were to take that route, and a lot can happen in that 3-4 years which could hinder my chances at getting away.

I want that urban feel where there's always something going on. I'm a huge sports fan, so having 2+ major sports team is a must. I am a college student and certainly do not come from a family with a lot of money. I want to move somewhere, go to a community college for one more year and get my Associates degree, and than move on to a 4-year school and get a bachelors.

I will be 21 next November, so a good nightlife does matter.

The COL does definitely matter, i'm getting no family help so all the expenses are on me. I do like the four seasons, although the cold can get to be a bit much at times where i'm from (Northern Iowa, close to Minnesota border). In a big city I think it'd be a lot easier to handle than the places i've lived though.

So any input would help. Most important factors would be good colleges, cost of living, sports teams, etc.

Like I said though, I will unfortunately likely have to pay OST, to affordable schools do matter. Whatever city I move to I would like to make home for the long haul. UM-M would likely be too expensive for me for example...I believe OST alone is 20K and other costs would bring it to 30k+. Is there any private universities that give a good chunk of aid or universities that have cheap'ish tuition for out of state students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM

10,630 posts, read 21,704,046 times
There are plenty of private colleges in Minnesota that often offer quite good financial aid packages. There are a lot of factors involved, though, such as does the school offer what you want to study? Do you qualify and will you get accepted? That sort of thing. I'd investigate those first, before bothering with a community college and an AA degree (which is worthless by itself, anyway); although there's nothing wrong with going the CC and then transfer route where you are now, if you don't know what you're doing you could end up spending longer in school (especially if the credits don't transfer right) and the MN prices at local community colleges aren't that cheap. Depending on total package, you could still find it worth your while to just start with the four-year college, especially if some of your current credits will transfer.

Honestly, why not just go to a big college town like Iowa City and then move afterwards? That would be a very different experience than a Des Moines area small town, you'd have college sports (which is better than major league that you won't be able to afford to see in person as a young college student), nightlife, all the activity that comes along with being a big university, you'd be paying in-state tuition, COL is lower, and it would be easy enough to move post-graduation. I know you say you want to make a home for the long-run, but you're only 19 and are still in school. I know 3 years sounds like forever, but it will go by in no time.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
There are plenty of private colleges in Minnesota that often offer quite good financial aid packages. There are a lot of factors involved, though, such as does the school offer what you want to study? Do you qualify and will you get accepted? That sort of thing. I'd investigate those first, before bothering with a community college and an AA degree (which is worthless by itself, anyway); although there's nothing wrong with going the CC and then transfer route where you are now, if you don't know what you're doing you could end up spending longer in school (especially if the credits don't transfer right) and the MN prices at local community colleges aren't that cheap. Depending on total package, you could still find it worth your while to just start with the four-year college, especially if some of your current credits will transfer.

Honestly, why not just go to a big college town like Iowa City and then move afterwards? That would be a very different experience than a Des Moines area small town, you'd have college sports (which is better than major league that you won't be able to afford to see in person as a young college student), nightlife, all the activity that comes along with being a big university, you'd be paying in-state tuition, COL is lower, and it would be easy enough to move post-graduation. I know you say you want to make a home for the long-run, but you're only 19 and are still in school. I know 3 years sounds like forever, but it will go by in no time.
Just found out Macalester University in the Minneapolis area would likely be 59K, but I could a huge chunk of that paid off with financial aid they provide, and it would be as cheap if not cheaper than the U of I.

Also, the problem with U of I is they require 4 years of foreign language to attend, and that's before hand. I am not good in foreign language, in HS I took Spanish Freshman year and got like a D in it. I don't think U of I is very much an option. Iowa State wouldn't be awful, but I just want to do something different. I only know 1 kid that i've ever met from Iowa that is actually out of Iowa doing his own thing. I know of plenty of guys that wanted to go places but never did because something ended up happening here. Just don't want to be part of that group...

I know, I probably sound like an over-anxious/impatient 19 year old, I just really would like to make a move to somewhere else. This isn't something I just started thinking about, I actually wanted to do this two years ago when I got out of high school, but decided to wait a bit and get college started off here in Iowa. So to add another 3 years on that, although you're right it will go by in no time i'm sure, just doesn't sound great to me.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:53 PM

171 posts, read 133,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC5 View Post
I am 19 and currently attending a community college near Des Moines, Iowa. I have lived in a small town my entire life and have wanted to move to a bigger city for a while now. The smart thing I do understand is to stay in-state and finish my education, but that is 3-4 years out if I were to take that route, and a lot can happen in that 3-4 years which could hinder my chances at getting away.

I want that urban feel where there's always something going on. I'm a huge sports fan, so having 2+ major sports team is a must. I am a college student and certainly do not come from a family with a lot of money. I want to move somewhere, go to a community college for one more year and get my Associates degree, and than move on to a 4-year school and get a bachelors.

I will be 21 next November, so a good nightlife does matter.

The COL does definitely matter, i'm getting no family help so all the expenses are on me. I do like the four seasons, although the cold can get to be a bit much at times where i'm from (Northern Iowa, close to Minnesota border). In a big city I think it'd be a lot easier to handle than the places i've lived though.

So any input would help. Most important factors would be good colleges, cost of living, sports teams, etc.

Like I said though, I will unfortunately likely have to pay OST, to affordable schools do matter. Whatever city I move to I would like to make home for the long haul. UM-M would likely be too expensive for me for example...I believe OST alone is 20K and other costs would bring it to 30k+. Is there any private universities that give a good chunk of aid or universities that have cheap'ish tuition for out of state students?
If you're looking at going to community college for another year after you move, check out Normandale Community College in Bloomington. It's just south of Minneapolis and is one of the better community colleges in the Midwest.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 AM

444 posts, read 1,803,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
If you're looking at going to community college for another year after you move, check out Normandale Community College in Bloomington. It's just south of Minneapolis and is one of the better community colleges in the Midwest.
I nearly spit out my Alpha Bits this morning reading this! I'm not aware of any rankings of the regions community colleges, but I suspect that if we took a very conservative definition of the Midwest to include only Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa...Normandale Community College likely wouldn't crack the top 10. And I say this a person that holds an AA from Normandale.

Unless Normandale has changed its curriculum drastically in the last 10 years, the school seems to be woefully out of touch with what any 4-year university (not named The University of Minnesota) is looking for in their transfer curriculum.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:31 AM

168 posts, read 145,760 times
Is there a good CC => UMN path?

When I was college aged, many just went to General College first and took 6 years to finish their undergrad.
However, I read that all changed in the mid 2000s when the dean of the U tried to improve the U of MN's ranking.

As far as I know, what the OP is looking for in terms of schooling does not exist. Iowa does not have tuition reciprocity with any state, so all tuition in MN will be out of state rates. In the past I would have suggested private schools like St. Thomas or Augsburg, but I don't believe they offer significant scholarships anymore.

That said, Minneapolis is nice enough to warrant a recommendation for moving up there. However, the school situation will be less than ideal.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM

1,010 posts, read 610,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubsworth View Post

When I was college aged, many just went to General College first and took 6 years to finish their undergrad.
However, I read that all changed in the mid 2000s when the dean of the U tried to improve the U of MN's ranking.

As far as I know, what the OP is looking for in terms of schooling does not exist. Iowa does not have tuition reciprocity with any state, so all tuition in MN will be out of state rates. In the past I would have suggested private schools like St. Thomas or Augsburg, but I don't believe they offer significant scholarships anymore.

That said, Minneapolis is nice enough to warrant a recommendation for moving up there. However, the school situation will be less than ideal.
Yes, the General College was closed down (primarily for the reason you state, to improve ratings in places like U.S. News). So, the U of M has pretty much closed the door to C and many B students. There are still students who transfer in to the U of Minnesota after taking community college courses (either just as courses taken or as part of a degree program) in each college at the U of M.

But - and this is a big BUT - transfer of credits is ALWAYS AT THE DISCRETION OF THE SCHOOL ACCEPTING THE CREDITS - whether a private school, a public school or even a school in the same system as the college where classes are taken. Find out if the school you want to transfer to will actually accept the credits and get the promise in writing from the school accepting the credits.

Back to colleges and universities in Minneapolis area:

In Minnesota, there are two public systems: the University of Minnesota (Twin Cities, Morris, Crookston, Duluth and Rochester) and MnSCU (something like 30 two- and four-year schools all over the state; in the Twin Cities area that includes Metro State (four-year) and several CCs). Plus the private two- and four-year schools, some for-profit and some not-for-profit/non-profit. There are a bunch of four-year private schools in the Twin Cities: in no particular order, St. Thomas, St. Kate's, Hamline, Northwestern, Augsburg, Macalester, Scholasitca, Concordia come to mind). In short, there are a ton of higher education options in the Twin Cities.

As Chubsworth points out, there is no reciprocity for public higher education between Iowa and Minnesota, so to move here and immediately start school, you would pay out-of-state tuition. Or you could move here, work and establish residency, then start school and pay in-state tuition. I can tell you that both in-state and out-of-state tuition are both higher in Minnesota for the U of Minnesota than Iowa State, Iowa or Northern Iowa (the three Regents universities in Iowa).

Do you have a career goal or academic discipline that lights you up? There are plenty of options to study up here, in terms of programs, degrees, degree paths and school environments.

There are also a lot of career/work options in the Twin Cities.

Are are you looking for something beyond school and beyond work/career? For some people, it is first about going someplace they feel they really want to be and then making the rest of it (school and work) fit to that.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 PM

171 posts, read 133,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
I nearly spit out my Alpha Bits this morning reading this! I'm not aware of any rankings of the regions community colleges, but I suspect that if we took a very conservative definition of the Midwest to include only Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa...Normandale Community College likely wouldn't crack the top 10. And I say this a person that holds an AA from Normandale.

Unless Normandale has changed its curriculum drastically in the last 10 years, the school seems to be woefully out of touch with what any 4-year university (not named The University of Minnesota) is looking for in their transfer curriculum.
This site ranked Normandale #25 in the U.S.

The 25 Best Community Colleges in the United States | Create a Career

Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubsworth View Post

I'm totally lost here. Yes, Minnesota schools would be on an out of state scale, but private institutions do offer great aid and most I believe have one tuition rate, no matter what state that student is from. Macalester up in Minneapolis for example is 59K, but when you look into their financial aid packages, for me, it would cost right around the same as Iowa State or the U of I here in Iowa...at least according to their net price calculator which asks people a series of questions and gives you a good idea of how much aid you would get. The University of Minnesota-Minneapolis would cost 20K in out of state tuition, but I don't even consider them an option due to that.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 PM

254 posts, read 233,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC5 View Post
I'm totally lost here. Yes, Minnesota schools would be on an out of state scale, but private institutions do offer great aid and most I believe have one tuition rate, no matter what state that student is from. Macalester up in Minneapolis for example is 59K, but when you look into their financial aid packages, for me, it would cost right around the same as Iowa State or the U of I here in Iowa...at least according to their net price calculator which asks people a series of questions and gives you a good idea of how much aid you would get. The University of Minnesota-Minneapolis would cost 20K in out of state tuition, but I don't even consider them an option due to that.
s

I graduated from Macalester many years ago and loved it. It was THE turning point of my life. I read once that the average student at Macalester pays about the same as the average U of Mn student, but that was a few years ago. For me, it was considerably less expensive than the U of MN.

Macalester is in Saint Paul, by the way, not Minneapolis. Saint Paul also has Hamline, St. Catherine, St. Thomas, and Concordia - all good four year private colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul