Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 06:24 PM

8 posts, read 13,435 times

Advertisements

I am now reposting this in Mpls/St Paul. I mistakenly put it into Minnesota previously...

I am interested in some feedback regarding the above listed cities. I live in Lakeville and I really love it. I work in Bloomington. I was married last year and my husband works in Cottage Grove. I came to the marriage with a child who is now 12 years old. We just welcomed another baby girl. My husband would like to be closer to Cottage Grove for many reasons. One because of his line of work and the ability to be closer to his family while working. Secondly, because a lot of our friends live in that area and we rarely host events because we are so far from everyone. I am trying to keep an open mind but I honestly know nothing about that area. Currently we are looking at building, also open to existing homes, but not a ton on the market currently. I am interested in the Falmoor Glen (Lennar) neighborhood in Rosemount but haven't looked much into it yet. I know it isnt that much closer to Cottage Grove but it is a bit. Perhaps we can compromise. Prices for building the same house are much lower compared to say Woodbury or Lakeville. Next, we also found some lots in Wyndham Hills in Hastings. Again, more desirable to me than say Woodbury because you get more view and more yard for your money from what i have seen. Therefore, if we moved to Woodbury or stayed in Lakeville we would be better off finding an existing home with a decent price, building is less desirable to me with the prices in those cities. Would a commute to Bloomington be undesirable from Woodbury? Honestly, I know nothing about Hastings, Rosemount or Woodbury. Give me some feedback if you know the area. Our 12 year old is into soccer and does well in school. A bit of diversity is important to me. She does play in band but isn't super into it. She has a wonderful group of kids in our neighborhood that she hangs out with. So do we stay or do we go is a big question. Give some input about these cities/schools to think about.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:42 PM

367 posts, read 539,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hweinhan View Post
I am now reposting this in Mpls/St Paul. I mistakenly put it into Minnesota previously...

I am interested in some feedback regarding the above listed cities. I live in Lakeville and I really love it. I work in Bloomington. I was married last year and my husband works in Cottage Grove. I came to the marriage with a child who is now 12 years old. We just welcomed another baby girl. My husband would like to be closer to Cottage Grove for many reasons. One because of his line of work and the ability to be closer to his family while working. Secondly, because a lot of our friends live in that area and we rarely host events because we are so far from everyone. I am trying to keep an open mind but I honestly know nothing about that area. Currently we are looking at building, also open to existing homes, but not a ton on the market currently. I am interested in the Falmoor Glen (Lennar) neighborhood in Rosemount but haven't looked much into it yet. I know it isnt that much closer to Cottage Grove but it is a bit. Perhaps we can compromise. Prices for building the same house are much lower compared to say Woodbury or Lakeville. Next, we also found some lots in Wyndham Hills in Hastings. Again, more desirable to me than say Woodbury because you get more view and more yard for your money from what i have seen. Therefore, if we moved to Woodbury or stayed in Lakeville we would be better off finding an existing home with a decent price, building is less desirable to me with the prices in those cities. Would a commute to Bloomington be undesirable from Woodbury? Honestly, I know nothing about Hastings, Rosemount or Woodbury. Give me some feedback if you know the area. Our 12 year old is into soccer and does well in school. A bit of diversity is important to me. She does play in band but isn't super into it. She has a wonderful group of kids in our neighborhood that she hangs out with. So do we stay or do we go is a big question. Give some input about these cities/schools to think about.

I live in Lakeville on the Rosemount border and also really like it; additionally, I work in Woodbury and have friends in Hastings and Cottage Grove, so I know each of these cities fairly well.

Woodbury has a very similar feel to Lakeville, so I think you would really like the former since you enjoy living in the latter. Hastings is a quaint city with a historic old-fashioned downtown on the river. Rosemount also has a small downtown on Highway 3, but the majority of it is typically suburban with standard big-box style stores along County 42. Cottage Grove feels a bit more "blue-collar" than the other towns...that's not to say it isn't nice but I don't think it's on par with Woodbury or Lakeville.

From an educational perspective, I would rank Woodbury, Rosemount, and Lakeville schools above Hastings or Cottage Grove. Rosemount is a great place to consider because the city is served by District 196, which is one of the top districts in the state. Rosemount Middle and High Schools have great sports and band programs that I'm sure your daughter would enjoy. Woodbury also has good schools and the opportunity to participate in a solid sports/band program. I don't know much about Cottage Grove or Hastings schools per se, but I'm fairly certain they're not as well-ranked as those in Rosemount, Woodbury, or Lakeville.

Commuting to Bloomington will not be too bad coming from Woodbury. It is best if you can work during off-peak times to avoid rush hour, but it is just a straight shot on Interstate 494. The Wakota Bridge, although reconstructed several years ago and much better than it used to be, still finds traffic periodically backed up westbound in the mornings, but once you're past that, it is usually a quick trip to the Bloomington strip - about 20-25 minutes in total.

From your husband's perspective, commuting to Cottage Grove from Rosemount or Woodbury will be a piece of cake. Woodbury is right next door to Cottage Grove, and although Rosemount is farther away, it is still easy to get to Cottage Grove via Highway 52 to 494 to 61 or you could take the back way through Hastings by traveling on County Road 42 to 55 to 61. Again, the commute would only be about 20 minutes and the best part is traffic is not an issue.

The good news is that I think any of the areas you're considering are nice communities that you will enjoy. Since you're not far away in Lakeville, I'd suggest taking a day to drive around Rosemount (right next door), Hastings, and Woodbury to get a feel for the areas and see what best fits your needs.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:11 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have taken some time to drive around Rosemount and think there are some great neighborhoods. I feel confident in 196 schools but do not know much specifially about Rosemount schools. I did drive by them and although they seem quite aged I am sure they are still great. I have taken some time in the other two cities as well, but not as much, simply because they are further out. The school district lines in Woodbury are overwhelming ie Stillwater High, Woodbury High, Eastridge etc.). Im glad to hear a commute from Woodbury to Bloomington wouldnt be much more than what I have now. My husband also talked about building in Lake Elmo but I am not sure I am too excited about what I hear. Seems like a long commute to Stillwater for school and sporting events, also have heard about higher taxes etc. I have been happy with what I see for existing homes in Woodbury price wise. We are looking to stay under 420K. I will say I wasn't a fan of Dancing Waters, a little too much for me in terms of size of a neighborhood with a million "sub-divisions". I know the least about Hastings. I appreciate the feedback!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:49 PM

You mentioned that you were considering Lake Elmo. It is a beautiful town but more rural in nature compared to other metro suburbs, and most homes are on large lots (an acre or more). It actually would be a very quick and easy commute to Stillwater.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:00 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,296,859 times
Lake Elmo is closer to Stillwater than any of the other places mentioned. Maybe you meant it's further away from Bloomington?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 AM

2,562 posts, read 2,037,919 times
Not sure I agree with the 20-25 minute commute from Woodbury to Bloomington estimate. Perhaps if from the far eastern side of Woodbury, outside of rush hour, with dry roads. One of the big hassles of Woodbury is how long it takes to get *through* Woodbury. East-to-west it can take half that estimate just to get out of Woodbury if you start out east of Woodbury Drive, where a lot of the new building has occurred the past five-to-ten years. That would include Bailey (morning backups have greatly decreased with the added round-a-bouts) on the south side, Lake and Valley Crossing through the center and even I-94 in the mornings (you have to factor in getting up to I-94, which nearly always has major congestion and slowdowns/stops in Oakdale and/or downtown St. Paul, even in good weather during morning rush ... and many times backed up to exit from 94 to south 494 after Oakdale, which is what you would take to get to Bloomington).

But that is nit picking about commute.

I suspect what Lake Elmo is today is not the Lake Elmo of 2020 or 2025. With the construction of the Highway 36 bridge crossing the St. Croix into Wisconsin, everything along that highway is about to get even busier and more built up. IMO, that puts Lake Elmo, just south of 36, in the cross hairs for development. Could be good, could be bad, but will definitely change what it has been up until now.

As for Woodbury, if I were looking again, I would look around Carver Lake in eastern Woodbury. Lots of newer townhouses there, wooded, hilly, bike trails and Carver Lake Park. And some somewhat hidden, treed, large lots. Also, it is on the western side of Woodbury so it has quick access to 494 and 61.

Speaking of Woodbury, things are about to change again for Woodbury schools in a big way. Woodbury is part of 883, which is southern Washington County schools, including Cottage Grove, Woodbury, Newport, St. Paul Park and Afton. The district is currently studying (and taking public input) on two options which will lead to either an additional Woodbury high school plus an additional middle school or expanding the existing high schools plus an additional middle school. Both options also include elementary school expansions and/or boundary changes/acquiring Valley Crossing, which currently is fed by three different districts (883, Stillwater and NSP). This is due to the huge enrollment increases in the past ten years and the building that is about to occur south of Bailey Road in Cottage Grove. Something to factor into your information (Long Range Facility Planning Process | South Washington County Schools).

Just my quick thoughts. I'll add that the Rosemount schools are top quality and the community is pretty nice from what I see and hear from friends and family there. You might also look at Inver Grove Heights - I know nothing about the schools but it is geographically situated for you and there has been a lot of building near Inver Hills CC, though not sure if that is far enough from the refinery.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:22 AM

Default Woodbury and school issue

I have appreciated feedback re our move. Currently we have chosen a builderand deciding to stay in the South Metro or building on a site we found inWoodbury. We wanted to get closer to Cottage Grove. However, one thing has mehesitating. I cannot wrap my head around all of the school boundaries going onin Woodbury. The site we are looking at to build literally has LibertyElementary (So Wash Co Schools) in our back yard. However, our street fallsinto Stillwater school district: Afton-Lakeland Elementary, Oak-Land MiddleSchool in Lake Elmo, and Stillwater High. As I mentioned before we have alittle one not yet in school, but also a 12 year old. She will be starting the8th grade in a new school if we move. I have been told there is no openenrolling into So Washington Co i.e East view etc. due to over populationalready happening. My concern is that we move and our daughter starts school inStillwater District and later lines change and we change schools again.Changing once will be a big enough change. Any input on this? Any input onStillwater Schools? Hastings is no longer an option as the sites there have a very strictassociation. My husband has a K9 for work purposes and they will not even allowa fence, therefore that will not work for us. Rosemount is still a possibility but I am trying to get over that massiverefinery that looks like a cruise ship coming towards the neighborhood in theevenings. Lakeville/Apple Valley will be where we stay if nothing else works out. Welike this area and have sites to build on here but simply wanted to have my husband closer because he works long shifts and at strange hours.

Last edited by hweinhan; 02-19-2015 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: size

Old 02-21-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweinhan View Post
I have appreciated feedback re our move. Currently we have chosen a builderand deciding to stay in the South Metro or building on a site we found inWoodbury. We wanted to get closer to Cottage Grove. However, one thing has mehesitating. I cannot wrap my head around all of the school boundaries going onin Woodbury. The site we are looking at to build literally has LibertyElementary (So Wash Co Schools) in our back yard. However, our street fallsinto Stillwater school district: Afton-Lakeland Elementary, Oak-Land MiddleSchool in Lake Elmo, and Stillwater High. As I mentioned before we have alittle one not yet in school, but also a 12 year old. She will be starting the8th grade in a new school if we move. I have been told there is no openenrolling into So Washington Co i.e East view etc. due to over populationalready happening. My concern is that we move and our daughter starts school inStillwater District and later lines change and we change schools again.Changing once will be a big enough change. Any input on this? Any input onStillwater Schools? Hastings is no longer an option as the sites there have a very strictassociation. My husband has a K9 for work purposes and they will not even allowa fence, therefore that will not work for us. Rosemount is still a possibility but I am trying to get over that massiverefinery that looks like a cruise ship coming towards the neighborhood in theevenings. Lakeville/Apple Valley will be where we stay if nothing else works out. Welike this area and have sites to build on here but simply wanted to have my husband closer because he works long shifts and at strange hours.

I can't comment on Stillwater schools per se, and I don't have children myself, so please take my comments with a grain of salt, but I thought I'd share my personal experience. When I was a child myself, due to my father's job, our family moved around the country a lot and I constantly found myself in a different school and having to make new friends. I don't remember it being that hard at the elementary level (grades 1-5) as I think kids are more resilient at that age, but once I reached middle and in particular high school, it was very difficult for me as I had an established group of friends, teachers, classes, and lifestyle that I didn't want to give up. Not knowing your daughter, I can't say how she'll react, but I know when I was in 8th grade I didn't want to move and leave the life to which I'd grown accustomed.

Based on my experience, I completely agree with your comment that "changing once will be a big enough change" and I would try as hard as possible to only move once if at all. It sounds like you're happy with the south metro, and given that the schools are good and your husband, although farther away from his job than he'd like, can take back roads to work and in general avoid heavy traffic congestion, it might be worthwhile to accept the longer commute as a compromise if your daughter is established and happy where she is.

If you end up still considering Rosemount, I wouldn't worry about the refinery. Most of the established part of the city and housing neighborhoods are on the western side of town and a good 3-5 miles away from the refinery itself (which is on the eastern edge of town on Highway 52). You likely won't even think about it being there given its relative isolation to the rest of the city.

Best of luck in your decision!

Old 02-22-2015, 10:21 AM

Thank you for your feedback Rhody2Mn. I spent the day yesterday driving around Woodbury. I went to some open houses, checked out lots and got the feel of the different neighborhoods. At the end of the day it just isn't something I can do easily. At this point I think Rosemount would be the only option beside staying put in Lakeville. Talking to different people about the school situation in So Wash Co/Stillwater made up my mind. Our oldest was originally okay with a school change but has gotten anxious about it now that we have sat on our decision a bit. We have great schools over here and that is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul