Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:10 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
I've heard Minneapolis referred to as the Portland of the Midwest on a number of ocassions. There's a lot of cross traffic between the two cities.

As for the Cleveland detractor,: I've never heard of Cleveland regularly being compared to Portland. I have heard Columbus called the San Francisco of the Midwest due to the high percentage of GLBT residents even though we have an even higher percentage. We have more punk rock bowling alleys, anarchist bookstores, co-ops, microbreweries, bike lanes, zombie bars, and Afghan pizza joints than Cleveland and the rest of Ohio combined.
About 10-15 years ago Cleveland was supposedly in a renaissance, but that never quite came to pass (some of which is due to the recession, but not all of it). If you peruse the Cleveland boards you'll see a lot of talk about a new surge in popularity and opportunity.

Short version in my mind is that Cleveland is under-rated, but it still has a long way to go to actually match Mpls or Portland today. That said, it's still much cheaper than either place. So if you want to gamble on a place that may be hot s**t in a decade and buy-in cheap, Cleveland does at least have some things going for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,770,951 times
Honestly, I think you'd be bored. WHOA- I'm probably going to get thrashed for saying that but I want to be honest. I'm mid 20's but married and not really into going out and the single scene as I was when I was 21. If I moved here when I was single and 21 I don't think I would of enjoyed it and I'm from Minnesota. I do miss the mountains since being back in Minnesota. People are great here but it's a little harder to meet people to go out with which is fine for me cause we are too busy and have friends and family already here but for a new comer, I guess it would depend on where you lived partially. If you lived in a younger area it'd probably be a easier to meet people.

We have family in the Seattle area so have spent a lot of time there and it really is beautiful there with a lot to do outdoors! I think there is a younger scene there but not sure how easy it is to make friends. They don't get snow (maybe 2 inches once a year- melts within an hour) but an hour north there is snow. The people are very diverse. It's a bigger, more sophisticated version of Portland, basically. It's still cold but not Minnesota cold. To me it's great weather. If you like the sun... you might not like Seattle. It shines occasionally but Minneapolis definitely gets way more sunshine even if it's the dead of winter!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
^ I basically agree. When I was 21 I was pretty desperate to get out of Minneapolis due to boredom. However, I thought Florida was even more boring.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 524 times
Default i need the phone number of someone in Minneapolis

the problem is , i live in Israel , and i can not charge my credit in the US , in order to receive information
such as , phone number or address, etc' , from any american company that provides information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul