Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 PM

15 posts, read 20,515 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, firstly I'd like say this forum is awesome, and then I have a few questions to ask.

Short story - I won green card on diversity programm, and i'm planning to go in Minneapolis or in Fargo, not decided yet. I'm 25 years old and I have a bachelor degree in Management for production and service.

Questions - 1. What are my chances ( as immigrant) to find a job in my field?
2. Because i don't have American job experience, how hard is to find any job?
3. According to you, is it better for me to come in Minneapolis or in Fargo?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Hello.

I am not familiar with the job market in your particular job field and I am not sure how familiar you are with the area, but the job market is very good in both Minneapolis and Fargo right now, with low unemployment compared to the rest of the country. Minneapolis/St. Paul is a much larger city than Fargo/Moorhead, so there are likely much more job choices in Minneapolis, although housing will probably be more expensive.
While both have pretty harsh winters, the winters in Minneapolis are a little less cold and windy. I have very limited experience when it comes to Fargo, but with Minneapolis being a larger city, there are probably more foreign workers with job experience in Mpls. and connections to other areas of the world is easier. I hope that helps somewhat.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:31 AM

Your post is helpful a lot, thanks. I have a few more questions, sorry if I'm a bit borring but I need to collect a lot informacion before i make final decision.

Is it hard to rent some condo without rental history?

I heard that people from Minneapolis are a bit ''colsed'' for strangers, is this true?(i don't want to offend someone with this question)?

Is it necessary to have a car at beginning?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Whether you need a car depends on where you work and live. If you don't want a car, then I'd select your job and your home with that in mind.

There are plenty of open, friendly people in Minneapolis, and besides, there are tons of people here who have moved here from elsewhere. As a 20-something professional I suspect you'll have an easy time making friends. It gets harder when you're older and everyone your age is busy with kids and family obligations. There are networking groups in town and, depending on your workplace, you may also work with lots of other people who have moved here from all over and who are also looking for friends.

Not sure about the rental history issue. I'm sure it's harder, but they may just ask you to pay first and last month's rent up front in addition to the security deposit.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrija89 View Post
Hi everybody, firstly I'd like say this forum is awesome, and then I have a few questions to ask.

Short story - I won green card on diversity programm, and i'm planning to go in Minneapolis or in Fargo, not decided yet. I'm 25 years old and I have a bachelor degree in Management for production and service.

Questions - 1. What are my chances ( as immigrant) to find a job in my field?
2. Because i don't have American job experience, how hard is to find any job?
3. According to you, is it better for me to come in Minneapolis or in Fargo?

Thanks in advance.
Minneapolis, by a long shot. Unless, of course, you are offered a job you like in Fargo.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
I live about 70 miles north of Fargo and Fargo like many North Dakota cities is booming, but with the Twin Cities region being so much larger you are likely to have more job opportunities in Minneapolis and surrounding areas. TC would also have much more transit choices that dont involve a car, unlike Fargo which is very heavily car driven with limited transit (outside of the city bus line). Fargo winters are indeed much colder and windier than the TC and is prone to more blizzards due to flat terrain. So I would certainly pick Minneapolis to start due to its size, transit options and more varied job opportunities. Cost of living may be higher in TC but North Dakota cities cost of living isnt cheap, though Fargo is the least costly of the major ND cities.

Dan

Old 11-06-2014, 08:50 AM

I also prefer Minneapolis because of his size( greater city greater oportunity) and also job market , but i thouth that Fargo as well is going to be a good choice because his size ( can function without car). I love winter and snow too. How hard is to find any job in Fargo or Minneapolis? At begining i have to work anything because as you probably money goes very fast.

Last edited by Andrija89; 11-06-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
You can't function without a car in Fargo. You need a car up there. I grew up in that area and had a car at age 16.
Fargo is nice and safe but is very remote and is more of a "big small town" than a city.
It's also very cold and windy.

In Minneapolis you don't need a car but a lot of the best jobs are out in the suburbs and you usually do need a car to get to them. I don't like driving. I didn't own a car for almost a decade. However, I find the car-free experience in Minneapolis very limiting and frankly miserable in the winter.

Last edited by rzzzz; 11-06-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Which neighborhood in Minneapolis is best for living and work, if you don't have a car ? Does it even exist that kind of neighborhood in MN? I have so many questions, thank you for answering.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrija89 View Post
Which neighborhood in Minneapolis is best for living and work, if you don't have a car ? Does it even exist that kind of neighborhood in MN? I have so many questions, thank you for answering.
Right in downtown or right surrounding downtown in the North Loop and Northeast are the best parts if you don't have a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul