Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 09:53 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times

Advertisements

There always seem to be a lot of deer in my neighborhood.
Up until now I've only seen does and fawns. However, now there's a big buck in my backyard.
The deer haven't caused me any issues, although they are probably eating someone's plants.
Do I need to be worried about a buck more than the other deer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 03:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Up until now I've only seen does and fawns. However, now there's a big buck in my backyard.
The deer haven't caused me any issues, although they are probably eating someone's plants.
Depends how big his rack is and how familiar with humans he's gotten. Most likely, not a worry.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:53 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
Quote:
Try and get a photo of the buck. If you can.

Why would a buck in your yard worry you? You mean someone may try and shoot it?

Last edited by demtion35; 11-08-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 07:30 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
It's mating season, so don't get between a buck and his lady. He might not be too happy. Also, do not look like a dear, in case he mistakes you for his lady.

Otherwise, enjoy the sites.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 PM

I guess I was just worried that he might smash a window or knock something over with his antlers.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
I have heard of deer going through windows. Not sure how often this happens though, but maybe more so with a buck, especially if he sees his reflection, in say a sliding porch glass door or something.

If he rubs on stuff which he does with the antlers like a tree, he may use objects in the yard to rub on as well, but again not sure how often this would happen but am sure that it could.

How often has he been coming around?

Old 11-09-2014, 08:45 AM

Yeah, he stands right by the sliding glass window where my home office is.
Yesterday was is the first time I saw him. However, I have counted up to 20 deer in one day, and they have been hanging for at least a year. He probably is one of the younger deer, grown up.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:27 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Time to put a dog out there....a big dog.

Hunting season may thin the herd a bit. Unless you live in the city limits, in which case you have really smart deer, knowing they cannot be shot inside city limits!

Old 11-09-2014, 12:44 PM

There actually is a turkey that lives back there and he chases the deer away.

I can't have a dog because I travel to different cities for my job, often for weeks at a time. Maybe someday I will get a dog.
However, have you ever seen those youtube videos where the deer stomp on dogs that mess with them? It's kind of terrifying.

This is all in the city. Well, Roseville, anyway. I read somewhere that turkey and deer populations have exploded in the metro area.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:39 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
There actually is a turkey that lives back there and he chases the deer away.

I can't have a dog because I travel to different cities for my job, often for weeks at a time. Maybe someday I will get a dog.
However, have you ever seen those youtube videos where the deer stomp on dogs that mess with them? It's kind of terrifying.

This is all in the city. Well, Roseville, anyway. I read somewhere that turkey and deer populations have exploded in the metro area.
I would only be concerned if they are severely stressed (underfed) and have grown accustomed to contact with humans. That's when deer can get goofy and do odd things. I have had some strange encounters with semi-aggressive deer in CA and West TX, but never in MN. We see them regularly at the lake in the summers in northern MN, but they are always skittish and flee with the slightest sign of human presence.

Do those that you're seeing run off if they see you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul