Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:32 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,712,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
we need to develop a new paradigm to take advantage of dynamic synergies
We should uniquely synthesize, value-added channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:37 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,712,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
But what is the potential ROI when switching to a counter-cyclical pricing model?
We should aggressively transition to technically sound deliverables.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,496,896 times
I agree, safety and lives come first.

I understand there are certain places of employment someone has to get to.

But some can be put on hold for a day.

Ego plays a role, that we are so important, we are irreplaceable.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:51 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
I am perplexed of the logic behind leaving people to carry on as usual when we have large snowfalls. Most every other metro would advise no travel on a day like today. If "having the right equipment" made a difference then it would not have taken me 3 times as long as usual to get to work. I will be leaving early as well since I know it will take a ridiculously long time to get home.

If anything it would make more sense to keep people of the roads so the DOT could clear them. Instead we will will likely have icy roads for weeks since the population has traveled abound creating snow packed tracks that will leave icy roads behind.

What is the logic behind this mentality?

Perhaps because the world does not stop when there is snow and ice in Minneapolis or anywhere else that there is normally snow and ice in the winter months.

What is the logic behind the "close everything because it snowed" mentality?
Besides, using your logic there would be no one out from the DOT clearing the roads because they would not be able to legally travel because of the "no travel today because of the bad weather" advisory/law/ordinance.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 AM

214 posts, read 298,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps because the world does not stop when there is snow and ice in Minneapolis or anywhere else that there is normally snow and ice in the winter months.

What is the logic behind the "close everything because it snowed" mentality?
Besides, using your logic there would be no one out from the DOT clearing the roads because they would not be able to legally travel because of the "no travel today because of the bad weather" advisory/law/ordinance.
No, you are missing the key point to my logic. By keeping the masses off the road then MNDot can actually get the roads clearer and not have packed icy patches to deal with.

My point is to advise no travel for significant snow events where the forecast is for higher snow amounts, not merely an inch or two.

I think the posters who mentioned pride are most likely spot on. As evidenced by witnessing the "skill" of many local drivers there is much more pride on display than practicality.

Again, having the right equipment really didn't impact travel in a positive manner. By focusing on critical employees traveling to work like doctors, nurses and other emergency workers you could reduce the amount of accidents and have more room for MnDOT to clear roads. Employees can telecommute. If other cities can do this certainly we could too for MAJOR events without jeapordizing the economy.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:19 AM

3,753 posts, read 5,266,776 times
I know of at least one town in west central Minnesota where MnDOT did advise "essential travel only". But essential to one person is in-essential to another. Someone who gets to stay home from work because of the poor roads might still want to go out to rent videos for his/her day off.

Little Willmar (pop. 20,000) had 22 road accidents before 1 p.m. A lot of essential travel must have been going on.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:34 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,507,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
We should aggressively transition to technically sound deliverables.
Then we must re-purpose the client-centered monetization policy while simultaneously re-evaluating the value-added integration within the business model.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,296,467 times
Quote:
No, you are missing the key point to my logic. By keeping the masses off the road then MNDot can actually get the roads clearer and not have packed icy patches to deal with.

My point is to advise no travel for significant snow events where the forecast is for higher snow amounts, not merely an inch or two.
the problem is that this would be impossible
The packed snow is mostly a problem on the local streets, and even then it's mostly the side streets, not the main arteries. It would just take way too long to get these streets plowed. The highways and main roads are usually cleared very quickly.

I mean, I feel your pain. I can't stand the layer of crust on the local roads either. I just don't see how they could all get cleared. Maybe if there was like a plow on every block.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:33 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
Quote:
I am perplexed of the logic behind leaving people to carry on as usual when we have large snowfalls. Most every other metro would advise no travel on a day like today. If "having the right equipment" made a difference then it would not have taken me 3 times as long as usual to get to work. I will be leaving early as well since I know it will take a ridiculously long time to get home.

If anything it would make more sense to keep people of the roads so the DOT could clear them. Instead we will will likely have icy roads for weeks since the population has traveled abound creating snow packed tracks that will leave icy roads behind.

What is the logic behind this mentality?
Everyone clear the road! polo golf guy needs to get home from work!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM

214 posts, read 298,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Everyone clear the road! polo golf guy needs to get home from work!
Lolz. I'm just saying there may be better ways to deal with significant snows.

I use Metro Transit to commute so my impacts are minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul