Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM

214 posts, read 299,859 times

Advertisements

I am perplexed of the logic behind leaving people to carry on as usual when we have large snowfalls. Most every other metro would advise no travel on a day like today. If "having the right equipment" made a difference then it would not have taken me 3 times as long as usual to get to work. I will be leaving early as well since I know it will take a ridiculously long time to get home.

If anything it would make more sense to keep people of the roads so the DOT could clear them. Instead we will will likely have icy roads for weeks since the population has traveled abound creating snow packed tracks that will leave icy roads behind.

What is the logic behind this mentality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 AM

23,767 posts, read 29,021,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
I am perplexed of the logic behind leaving people to carry on as usual when we have large snowfalls. Most every other metro would advise no travel on a day like today. If "having the right equipment" made a difference then it would not have taken me 3 times as long as usual to get to work. I will be leaving early as well since I know it will take a ridiculously long time to get home.

If anything it would make more sense to keep people of the roads so the DOT could clear them. Instead we will will likely have icy roads for weeks since the population has traveled abound creating snow packed tracks that will leave icy roads behind.

why, what happened? this must be some kind of new phenomenon that I am not familiar with...

Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,344 times
What difference would advising no travel make?

Whenever there's a freak snowstorm in some snowless city, there is a travel advisory, everyone travels and there's a major traffic catastrophe, anyway.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM

171 posts, read 195,312 times
Because capitalism. The Minneapolis-St. Paul economy laughs at the idea of shutting down due to a little bad weather.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:52 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,065,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
Because capitalism. The Minneapolis-St. Paul economy laughs at the idea of shutting down due to a little bad weather.
Follow the Money ... always.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,666,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Follow the Money ... always.
Bosses insist on butts in cubicles.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM

23,767 posts, read 29,021,972 times
we need to develop a new paradigm to take advantage of dynamic synergies

Old 11-10-2014, 12:59 PM

464 posts, read 802,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post

I think stubbornness and pride are a lot of it. We can't laugh at other cities getting snarled up by ice and snow if we admit to ourselves that the same thing happens here.

Outstate, though, they do shut down the interstate at least during some major snowfalls. I don't know if they did this time or not (my guess is no).

Old 11-10-2014, 01:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,344 times
They usually only shut down the interstates when it is so windy that you can't see.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:51 PM

520 posts, read 775,125 times
When it snows in Atlanta, the world stops because that only happens one or twice per decade.

In Minneapolis and every other cold weather city in the US, life goes on because it has to. On average, there are 15 days per year that we get an inch or more of snow. Should we take all of them off? What about days when a lot of snow is predicted but it never arrives?

One of the inconveniences of living in a snow city is we have to be able to live with the snow. I was living in Massachusetts last year and they did close down all of the roads in part of the state for the first time. That was only because we got a full 30 inches of snow! Next time that happens, shut down the world.

For a little dusting like today, if you have SNOW tires (not all-seasons) and don't do anything stupid you will be fine. Unfortunately, most people don't get snow tires and are surprised when they have trouble driving in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul