Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:00 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Unless you live in Anoka, their rules don't apply to your house. If you do live in Anoka, sounds like you could complain, but then he could presumably just get an overnight permit and still park in front of your house, but would then be angry with you. For most petty annoyances it's worth it to just bite your tongue because it's not worth it to start a feud with a neighbor. Leave the complaints for issues that really matter, and honestly, even if it annoys you the law is probably on his side in this situation.

I live in a city. There is NO expectation that the city-owned public street in front of your house is reserved for you; anyone can park there -- neighbors, visitors, whoever. You own or rent the house, not the street. Maybe this parking complaint is some aspect of suburban culture I just don't understand.
Typical Minnesota -- don't voice your feelings, just shove them down inside you. Just because you shouldn't be aggressive doesn't mean you should convert your aggressive feelings into passive aggressive ones. Just be assertive. Tell him why it bothers you that he parks his car there and ask him if he could consider moving it. See if you can compromise. Don't just "bite your tongue". That's psychologically unhealthy, and leads to the passive aggressiveness that Minnesotans are so famous for.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:56 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Typical Minnesota -- don't voice your feelings, just shove them down inside you. Just because you shouldn't be aggressive doesn't mean you should convert your aggressive feelings into passive aggressive ones. Just be assertive. Tell him why it bothers you that he parks his car there and ask him if he could consider moving it. See if you can compromise. Don't just "bite your tongue". That's psychologically unhealthy, and leads to the passive aggressiveness that Minnesotans are so famous for.
At least our police officers don't kill 12 year olds.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:30 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
That's not shoving down feelings. I'm not suggesting that he shouldn't say anything ever -- but it's incredibly stupid to complain about someone parking in front of your house (it's NOT your street, after all, and it's a complain with no merit), and sometimes life is just easier if you don't complain about every little petty thing. Save the complaints for the stuff that matters -- ESPECIALLY when the person is your neighbor. I'll tell you what would happen if a neighbor asked us not to park on a public street in front of his house: I'd be that much more inclined to park there EVERY SINGLE DAY just because the request and the implied sense of entitlement is so irritating.

Knowing when to speak up and when to live with stuff is not being passive, it's having common sense and knowing what fights are worth fighting.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:11 AM

367 posts, read 545,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
That's not shoving down feelings. I'm not suggesting that he shouldn't say anything ever -- but it's incredibly stupid to complain about someone parking in front of your house (it's NOT your street, after all, and it's a complain with no merit), and sometimes life is just easier if you don't complain about every little petty thing. Save the complaints for the stuff that matters -- ESPECIALLY when the person is your neighbor. I'll tell you what would happen if a neighbor asked us not to park on a public street in front of his house: I'd be that much more inclined to park there EVERY SINGLE DAY just because the request and the implied sense of entitlement is so irritating.

Knowing when to speak up and when to live with stuff is not being passive, it's having common sense and knowing what fights are worth fighting.

I couldn't agree more. Life is challenging enough, and if more people would learn not to sweat the small stuff and when to pick their battles, their personal stress levels would go down substantially and they'd find themselves much happier in their daily existence.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,453 times
Quote:
Troll.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:20 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Troll.
Groot's back!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:27 PM

357 posts, read 443,937 times
Living in the city, I'm used to people parking on the street in front. What I do not like are cars blocking my shoveled sidewalk and forcing my guests to climb over snow banks to visit me, especially when there is plenty of room to park elsewhere. It's thoughtless and rude. I've talked to people who've done it habitually and they've kindly stopped.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:32 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
I've never heard of this in Minnesota. However, when I lived in Boston it was understood that everyone had their own "spot" in front of their house and nobody else was ever supposed to park there.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
It is a suburban culture thing. There isn't a ton of people parking on my street or most suburban steets and I get annoyed if people park in front of my house, I don't want to look at your car, but really it's not a problem I'd ever do anything about. I've always followed park in front of your own place, don't annoy your neighbors, and it's closer to come and go. My neighbor saw a car come park in front of my house and he drove up to him and said you can't park there, it's national security, you'll get towed, guy went and parked elsewhere (I had nothing to do with this)
This is what makes me love the suburbs. I haven't had a car parked in front of my house in 20 years. I look out my front window and see trees and on the other side of the street I see a lake.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:24 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is what makes me love the suburbs. I haven't had a car parked in front of my house in 20 years. I look out my front window and see trees and on the other side of the street I see a lake.
... a lake with the reflection of a neon sign from Walmart or Applebee's.

To each his/her own... but if you really get your knickers in a stitch about possessing the parking spot on a public roadway, city living isn't for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: