Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:34 AM

49 posts, read 81,058 times

Advertisements

I like to walk in historic neighborhoods. One day I was walking in the Lyndhurst neighborhood, I grew up there a few years back. I was walking the neighborhood and texting and had 2 police cars stop me to question why I was walking in the neighborhood. They mentioned they got a call from a house owner saying an asian male was looking up and down the driveways of the houses. The police got my information and sent me on my way. They said they are not trying to single me out but that they have had several robberies in the area.

Is this common. Discussed with my family and they said that if I am walking in areas that not a lot of people walk, I will stick out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 AM

91 posts, read 268,929 times
I would guess it has more to do with recent burglaries and a stranger in the neighborhood looking at houses. I live in an area with a fair amount of foot traffic. We had a string of break ins last year and I would have called if I saw someone looking down driveways and/or pausing in front of houses.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
We have plenty of foot traffic in south Minneapolis, but you seem to have raised one resident's suspicions by the way you were checking out the houses, so our police came to see what you were all about. That's good, responsive police work in my book. I hope you're not going to try to make it into some sort of racial issue now.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times
I would assume the main reason is because you are asian, not just because you are walking around.
Last summer, I walked around in that area all the time and I never got the cops called on me. That neighborhood is mostly old white people with nothing to do besides look out their window and worry about someone walking around.

Last edited by tjasse; 03-03-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I love architecture and old houses. I also like walking, I walk 7-8 miles a day. It is what I do when most people are watching TV.

I am not in Minneapolis, but I am a white, reasonably well dressed, male and my 'suspicious behavior' of walking and looking at houses invites police attention now and then. About a 3-4 times a year, I am questioned as to why I am walking in a neighborhood. I don't know if they are just passing or if neighbors are calling me in. Maybe it is only 3-4 times because I am White? I don't know, but my pessimistic side wouldn't be surprised.

I have also had frantic looking housewives run into the yard to 'save' their children and people rush to close their garage doors, hide posessions, and practically run from their car to the front door as I approach, etc.

It is mostly people under 40 that react in such a paranoid manner, oddly enough. You'd think it would be the old people. (of course maybe it is the old people calling from behind parted curtains to the cops to check me out.)

It is just the way people are today. It is not too common to see people just walking down the street in many neighborhoods unless they are decked out in running gear or pushing a stroller.

Finally, my advice is to smile and wave to anyone you see just as if you were a long time neighbor. In areas I walk frequently, I think the people are largely used to me and I think many of them think I live a block over or something even though I range many miles on my walks. Oh, and if you look like you are out for a jog, wearing running shoes, carrying a water bottle, that sort of thing, that may help, too.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 03-03-2015 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 01:40 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I would assume the main reason is because you are asian, not just because you are walking around.
Last summer, I walked around in that area all the time and I never got the cops called on me. That neighborhood is mostly old white people with nothing to do besides look out their window and worry about someone walking around.
There's really no basis for your assumption.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:12 PM

520 posts, read 775,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Oops, I accidentally rated this post positively when I was trying to quote it. I wish I could take that back or, even better, rate this post negatively.

A white person walked around and didn't get stopped by the police. An Asian person walked around and got stopped by the police. No need for any more information, right? Let's just ASSUME racism. "Old white people" and police officers are all racists.

Now if you had been Latino, I ASSUME they would have detained you. If you had been African-American, I ASSUME they would have beaten you, detained you and charged you with resisting arrest and assaulting an officer.

Isn't assuming easy?

Last edited by MidwestRedux; 03-03-2015 at 03:40 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We have plenty of foot traffic in south Minneapolis, but you seem to have raised one resident's suspicions by the way you were checking out the houses, so our police came to see what you were all about. That's good, responsive police work in my book. I hope you're not going to try to make it into some sort of racial issue now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Oops, I accidentally rated this post positively when I was trying to quote it. I wish I could take that back or, even better, rate this post negatively.

A white person walked around and didn't get stop by the police. An Asian person walked around and got stopped by the police. No need for any more information, right? Let's just ASSUME racism. "Old white people" and police officers are all racists.

Now if you had been Latino, I ASSUME they would have detained you. If you had been African-American, I ASSUME they would have beaten you, detained you and charged you with resisting arrest and assaulting an officer.

Isn't assuming easy?
Amen!

To the OP- yeah if you're walking in the winter it likely raises question. Nothing personal.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I wouldn't assume it's racism. I would assume -- fair or not -- that people are more suspicious of a man than a woman. I've never been stopped by the police, while my white male husband has been questioned while waiting at the school bus stop. If you're a single guy alone walking along and looking at houses, especially if during a weekday during the daytime, you're going to stand out more so than if you were with someone or walking the dog or even walking briskly like you were going somewhere. I always felt like I stood out walking around some of those neighborhoods; they'd walk the dog or go for a run, but the streets can be pretty quiet.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:43 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
What an amazing society we've created in the United States where it's practically a criminal act to go for a walk through a neighborhood. I think these busybodies calling the police would do well to go outside and go for a walk themselves. If they're actually concerned about their safety and security, the best thing to do would be engaging with their neighborhood, not hiding in their homes, peering out from behind their curtains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul