Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:35 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times

Advertisements

This is funny to look back on, because in the end we moved to Denver. August 12 2015 we arrived and moved into our new home. We like it a lot, but still don't love it. My sister used always tell me "Michael, you go out there and live life and see what you need to see but in the end its just like Dorothy says, There's No Place Like Home!" she did the same thing as us. She moved all over the globe literally and after about 10 or so years she moved back to Minnesota to be by all of us. She passed away at 48 years young about 7 years after moving back.

We needed to experience living on this side of the country but in the end, she was right. There is still no place like home. Nothing more comforting than showing up at a family members door or having them show up at yours unexpectedly. Or having friends actually check in with you to see about a get-together.

We have lived in some nice places and have been very lucky to do so with our careers, but we still miss Minnesota and our comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Thanks for posting. I read so many of these threads and then they just become orphaned and no one knows how the original questions were answered.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 AM

168 posts, read 256,437 times
Have lived a number of places including California. I would really think hard on moving anywhere for family. Your family dynamic probably plays a bigger role than the city itself. We ended up where we are now (not in MN) at the behest of family, it was sort of one of those offers you couldn't refuse. With my dad now gone I find myself actively avoiding the other family members that live here. He was a buffer on their bad behavior. As far as friends go, you may find you have little in common with old friends unless you have kept in touch over the years.

I would say move somewhere that you enjoy being in every day. That might be somewhere warm, somewhere that feels right, somewhere familiar or somewhere that has quality of life things you are looking for.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 PM

68 posts, read 94,861 times
So do you think you'll go back to MN?

Old 02-17-2016, 06:35 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SForMNLee View Post
So do you think you'll go back to MN?
If I had to guess, Id say probably not. There are many things that sway us, but our overall attitude toward Friends/Family VS. Winter is the big one.

Honestly, my wife and I could both follow our careers there and have great opportunities, we love the Twin Cities and what it has to offer and the only negatives for us are the weather and the scenery.

We have been spoiled with living in places like Washington DC, Charlotte NC, Dallas TX and now Denver CO. As well ass getting to travel to many other locations through work. Our boys have gotten to experience so many things and meet so many people and make so many friends and memories all over the country. If we go back to Minnesota, I feel like we are finally conceding and "going home" and that's not what we want in life. We always imagined that if we ever move to Minnesota that it would be because we are still progressing forward. That is why it is such a hard one to analyze for us.

I know our friends and family have all made their own lives and I would actually expect things to be like they used to be, but how do you say that and then say how nice it would be to move back to be by friends and family. I always say that if I didn't have friends and family in MN id never consider moving there.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 AM

102 posts, read 116,698 times
I moved back to Minneapolis for family. I wouldn't say I regret it, but I don't like the area as much as most do, or even as much as my younger self did. A solid meh, with a handful of features that make it tolerable. I agree with the poster who said you probably shouldn't move for family. They can die, move away, or maybe don't actually care that much that you're there.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:35 AM

19 posts, read 23,987 times
My husband and I moved back to MN about 12 years ago to be around to help out with elderly parents. The job market and salaries are pretty decent and the schools are better then many areas of the country but not that great in a lot of areas, so you need to do a lot of research if this is important to you. The climate is pretty hard to live with for at least 4 months out of the year, maybe more.ax

We will be wintering in FL or AZ as soon as we can swing it and will probably only live here during May- September if we can make that happen.

Taxes may be another factor if you have a decent income, the top state tax rate is 9.85% over whatever you are paying in federal tax and most professionals would at least be in the 7.05% rate that starts at just $30k /year. The bottom rate is over 5% which really stinks for retired folks on a low income since this quickly adds up.

I love the opportunities for outdoor adventures in the summer and eating on patios throughout the city. Recreational possibilities are endless and the bike trails are great. Shopping in general is wonderful and as good as any major city in my opinion. Restaurants are decent if you are willing to drive into the city, the burbs are OK, but nothing memorable. Coming from California, we really miss decent restaurants in just about every town.

Property taxes and home prices can be a little on the high side unless you are coming from the west coast. Expect to pay around $4000 in taxes on a $300k home in a lot of communities. Rents are a bit high now due to a lack of supply, so expect around $1500-$1700 for a nice smaller house in an OK area, but closer to $2000/month for a 4 bed home or 3+ bed home in a desirable community like Edina, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Excelsior, etc.. Rents on apartments run from $800 for a one bedroom in a far flung suburb and some inner-ring suburbs and up to $1200 for a 2-bedroom in a desirable area, more if you are looking at a townhome or something with a 2 car garage.

Finally, we are a little more conservative in our beliefs, fiscally conservative at least, we don't care where you come from or what you look like, we just want folks to be respectful of others and to treat others as they would like to be treated themselves and to respect the laws the we all of governed by and understand that your family and your kids are primarily your responsibility, no one owes you a free lunch. We think we should take care of our elderly, disabled and veterans that served our country and that those that paid into a system like social security, should be the first ones to be paid back. We also feel that most able-bodied individuals have the tools to be successful and need need to be responsible and not take on more then you can handle and get your education first before starting a family so you have the means to raise that family and provide for them. This is not a very popular viewpoint in much of the twin cities. And you may get a little disheartened by how liberal the media, schools and general politics are in this state if you are not pretty middle of the road or leaning to the left, but this is a minor thing to most folks and you can always change the channel if you want, it is just a little harder to do that in MN especially in Minneapolis and some of immediate suburbs.

It is fine to live with folk that have beliefs that are different then yours, that is what makes this country great, but increasingly folks that are not very liberal in their beliefs are criticized and threatened or at least silenced and this is getting a little worse over time. For example, a city council member for Minneapolis took part in a Black lives matter protest at the Mall of America and when a resident of Minneapolis complained saying that it was illegal and doesn't set a good example for a leader of the city, the council member posted this residents phone number and home address on twitter and he was harassed quite a bit at his home. The council member was not reprimanded in any way for this and was rather congratulated and revered by WCCO which is the largest talk radio station here and by other city council members and government officials. So, needless to say, if you have less liberal viewpoints and live year, you just need to learn to shut up and put up, which is not a big deal at all for a lot of folks put good to know if this matter to you.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:08 AM

197 posts, read 261,230 times
My wife and I moved to MN from CA a year ago. We lived in CO for years before that. CA for 8 years. We are both from different states as well. So we've lived in a lot of different cities and have seen a lot of the US. I agree with you to an extent. However, there is a big different between east coast, deep south, upper Midwest and west coast for example. In my opinion far more of a difference than say living between FL and NC or DC. Texas would be the anomaly in your list of cities.

Phoenix? LOL......Phoenix has become a third world dump. MN is one of the few great states to live in IMO. Denver is a great city! If it's wasn't for basically a 2 season climate I'd love to live in CO. You've basically got summer and winter. My wife and I love fall and spring. MN is a truly beautiful state. The economy is great, the schools are great. Except for Minneapolis and the surrounding suburbs it's a fairly moderate to conservative state which for us is a good thing. Having lived in Orange Country for 8 years and having grown up in MO myself there is nothing like Midwestern morals for raising boys. The west coast was a really great place to live as a young couple or married "yuppie" couple. But as soon as we had kids our priorities changed. The simple cost of real estate in CA is absurd. Even when we were making $200K combined income it was never enough. Unless you want to live in a place like the Inland Empire, or San Bernardino.

We live in WBL/Mahtomedi and the quality of life here is amazing! MN has been one of the best decisions we've ever made. Unfortunately though our families are not local. That is probably the hardest thing about moving around the last 15 years. Kids, boys, really need their grandparents, and family IMO. Just makes life much more genuine and rich.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:13 AM

197 posts, read 261,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarverKris View Post
My husband and I moved back to MN about 12 years ago to be around to help out with elderly parents. The job market and salaries are pretty decent and the schools are better then many areas of the country but not that great in a lot of areas, so you need to do a lot of research if this is important to you. The climate is pretty hard to live with for at least 4 months out of the year, maybe more.ax

We will be wintering in FL or AZ as soon as we can swing it and will probably only live here during May- September if we can make that happen.

Taxes may be another factor if you have a decent income, the top state tax rate is 9.85% over whatever you are paying in federal tax and most professionals would at least be in the 7.05% rate that starts at just $30k /year. The bottom rate is over 5% which really stinks for retired folks on a low income since this quickly adds up.

I love the opportunities for outdoor adventures in the summer and eating on patios throughout the city. Recreational possibilities are endless and the bike trails are great. Shopping in general is wonderful and as good as any major city in my opinion. Restaurants are decent if you are willing to drive into the city, the burbs are OK, but nothing memorable. Coming from California, we really miss decent restaurants in just about every town.

Property taxes and home prices can be a little on the high side unless you are coming from the west coast. Expect to pay around $4000 in taxes on a $300k home in a lot of communities. Rents are a bit high now due to a lack of supply, so expect around $1500-$1700 for a nice smaller house in an OK area, but closer to $2000/month for a 4 bed home or 3+ bed home in a desirable community like Edina, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Excelsior, etc.. Rents on apartments run from $800 for a one bedroom in a far flung suburb and some inner-ring suburbs and up to $1200 for a 2-bedroom in a desirable area, more if you are looking at a townhome or something with a 2 car garage.

Finally, we are a little more conservative in our beliefs, fiscally conservative at least, we don't care where you come from or what you look like, we just want folks to be respectful of others and to treat others as they would like to be treated themselves and to respect the laws the we all of governed by and understand that your family and your kids are primarily your responsibility, no one owes you a free lunch. We think we should take care of our elderly, disabled and veterans that served our country and that those that paid into a system like social security, should be the first ones to be paid back. We also feel that most able-bodied individuals have the tools to be successful and need need to be responsible and not take on more then you can handle and get your education first before starting a family so you have the means to raise that family and provide for them. This is not a very popular viewpoint in much of the twin cities. And you may get a little disheartened by how liberal the media, schools and general politics are in this state if you are not pretty middle of the road or leaning to the left, but this is a minor thing to most folks and you can always change the channel if you want, it is just a little harder to do that in MN especially in Minneapolis and some of immediate suburbs.

It is fine to live with folk that have beliefs that are different then yours, that is what makes this country great, but increasingly folks that are not very liberal in their beliefs are criticized and threatened or at least silenced and this is getting a little worse over time. For example, a city council member for Minneapolis took part in a Black lives matter protest at the Mall of America and when a resident of Minneapolis complained saying that it was illegal and doesn't set a good example for a leader of the city, the council member posted this residents phone number and home address on twitter and he was harassed quite a bit at his home. The council member was not reprimanded in any way for this and was rather congratulated and revered by WCCO which is the largest talk radio station here and by other city council members and government officials. So, needless to say, if you have less liberal viewpoints and live year, you just need to learn to shut up and put up, which is not a big deal at all for a lot of folks put good to know if this matter to you.
That's the whole problem IT DOES MATTER where you come from. You sound like the Lutherans bringing in all the third world muslim Somalis. You say you're conservative but you really don't embrace conservative principles. Your BLM statement is a perfect example. There was just two black teenage girls that broke out into a fight at MOA on Valentine's Day! Where are the Asian kids doing this? Where are the white kids? Sorry but people self segregate for a reason. We are tribal by nature. It doesn't mean we can't get along with others that live in the next city over etc. But neighborhoods tend to be homogenous for a reason. Nothing wrong with this. Sorry but there are some real liberal crackpots in MN. All the best neighborhoods are "homogenous" and you can interpret that however you want!

This is why Trump has such a huge following...yes white Americans are fed up with the anti-white, genocidal war being waged against them. And it is rather apparent in MN/Twin Cities area. Having a mayor actually wear a habib? LOL.........Having schools ban Valentine's Day so as not to offend the muslims? Your kids will be growing up in a different country, probably one in which they will have to pray at noon if things continue down this path.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:17 AM

102 posts, read 116,698 times
please, Trump idiots, stay out of Minnesota. We lutherans who have been here for 6 generations don't want you here. Your stupid redneck attitudes ruin communities and your low achieving children ruin the schools that we have worked for decades to build up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul