Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 PM

340 posts, read 664,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I didn't realize I wanted a live-at-the-lake lifestyle until just now!
Haha. If you can get out on the water with a flashy boat or jetski, they might be waving from the shore for a ride.

In any case, the WBL lakeshore homes are a good value if you believe that the lake will recover. Back in the late 80's the lake dropped quite a bit and home values plummeted. Subsequently the lake levels came roaring back and the lakeshore home values followed. Hard to say if history will repeat, but it is still a huge, deep lake compared to other lakes in the TC area even at its current water level, and home values are still at the low end. Lake Minnetonka is also nice but since it is on the other side of the metro area most folks will tend to pick whichever is closer to their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 PM

OP, what is nice about the WB area is that there are some good restaurants and shopping venues, on top of the fact that WBL is the second largest lake in the metro area (I'm not including Forest Lake). It has a small but pleasant downtown area with many community events. In my mind it is more than a bedroom suburb although most locals do tend to commute for work.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:40 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,491 times
I checked it out this morning. It's a nice area but not really what I thought of. there aren't very many trees like up north. the downtown is cute but doesn't have much stuff that interests me personally. It also takes a while to get to my office, and that was without any traffic.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
like someone else mentioned earlier, if you are here now, take a drive up to the Chisago City, Lindstrom, Center City area

Old 03-18-2015, 03:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,491 times
I've concluded that Vadnais Lake/Vadnais Heights is the closest place to the Twin Cities that feels like the Bemidji area.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I've concluded that Vadnais Lake/Vadnais Heights is the closest place to the Twin Cities that feels like the Bemidji area.
Did you check out Birchwood? It's located along the south shore of the lake between WBL and Mahtomedi. It's a small community with older trees, as I reported in another thread. Not too many evergreens like up north, but at least it doesn't feel like a development created out of a flat farmer's field.
Another advantage is that it is Washington County, which has lower taxes than Ramsey's. Also it is close to 694 -- just zip down Century (as long as you don't get entangled in the college traffic between class times). All city residents can use (and park their kayaks) on the city beaches (there are 6) and if you aren't living on lakefront property you can get on a waiting list for dock space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul