Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 11:51 AM

422 posts, read 574,758 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my car this weekend to a guy I met on craigslist. I've had many cars, but I've always sold them to friends or acquaintances that I knew.

What's the proper way to go about this? The car is modified and pretty fast, and the new owner seems kind of clueless. . How do I cover myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:52 AM

422 posts, read 574,758 times
Basically just wondering if I need a bill of sale. I was under the impression a bill of sale doesn't hold any weight unless it's signed off on by a legal person or something.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,227 times
Your title should have a spot for the buyer to fill out and sign. This little area is perforated and is supposed to be torn out for you to keep so that you have a record of who you sold the car to. This should be all you need to do.

If you're really worried about it, I would recommend telling the buyer that you want to go with him to the "Driver and Vehicle Services" place to get the title transferred over that same day. Then you'll know for sure that it got done and then you won't have to worry about it.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Your title should have a spot for the buyer to fill out and sign. This little area is perforated and is supposed to be torn out for you to keep so that you have a record of who you sold the car to. This should be all you need to do.

If you're really worried about it, I would recommend telling the buyer that you want to go with him to the "Driver and Vehicle Services" place to get the title transferred over that same day. Then you'll know for sure that it got done and then you won't have to worry about it.
I second this. Go do the transfer on the spot and you can be assured that everything is properly taken care of.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post

when I'm done with a car, it's usually a wrecker that comes and hauls it off. One time I sold a car to an aquaintenance and had him sign the bottom which I tore off and kept. About 6 months later I got a call from Bloomington PD wondering why I left my car abandoned on the Cedar Ave Bridge. I explained that I sold the car and that I was in reciept of the seller's section. They asked who I sold the car to and when I told them they thanked me and I never heard anything else about it.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
In Minnesota, you are instructed to file a sale online if you sell or transfer to another person, junk or total it or donate it:

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pag...spx?pageID=642

Three times I have sold while living here - twice to individuals and most recently, totaled and sold to the insurance company - I have reported online in addition to having them sign the part of the title as receipt of sale (which I kept). Never an issue.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
A while back I sold my daily driver to a girl who showed up from a Craigslist ad. She paid me cash, I wrote up a bill of sale, signed the title over to her, and she drove off with no plate on the car. She promised to insure it and register it the next day.

A week or so later I called the DMV and it still was in my name, and I had a good idea she was driving it around on some plate she had, so I drove down to the DMV and filled out a form that said I was no longer the owner. If she had a wreck or other problem, I would have been liable.

Lesson learned, now I will go with the person to the DMV and have the transfer done right there on the spot.

As for the bill of sale question, it just needs to say "Sold this day one (Year) (Make) (Model) to (Purchaser) for the sum of $____________. Sold as is where is, with no warranty. " Then you sign and date it.

Oh, and if you are smart, you will only take cash and have one of those pens that checks to see if the money is real.

Don

Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 AM

391 posts, read 659,949 times
If you don't do the title transfer together with the buyer, doing a release of liability form with the DMV at least protects you in the event they don't transfer title on their own.

Back in CA I sold a car to an acquaintance who never transferred title, but I submitted a release of liability form. I was still contacted a year later when it was found abandoned. Even though I had no legal obligation, as the last legal owner I was given the option of reclaiming it if I wanted to pay the outstanding fines (I didn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: